Players Number Retired with More Then 1 Franchise

Bullet

Jul 17, 2007
Tampa Bay area
Gretzky of course had his number retired league wide.

Messier had his number retired in both Edmonton and New York.

Has any other player had such an honor? Will anyone who is now playing meet this accomplishment?

Al Bundy*

I think it happened to Bourque.

I do think a few names could join that list: Pittsburgh should retire Coffey's #77 and Calgary should retire Al MacInnis's #2

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I think it happened to Bourque.

I do think a few names could join that list: Pittsburgh should retire Coffey's #77 and Calgary should retire Al MacInnis's #2

Bobby Hull - Chicago Blackhawks and Winnipeg Jets (not sure if it's still retired in Phoenix)
Gordie Howe - Detroit Red Wings and Hartford Whalers (not sure if it's still retired in Carolina)
Wayne Gretzky - Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings (later retired league-wide)
Ray Bourque - Boston Bruins and Colorado Avalanche (bit of a joke IMO but if it makes Avs fans happy who cares)
Mark Messier - Edmonton Oilers and New York Rangers

Chelios's number should be retired in Chicago and considering how long he's played in Detroit there's a shot it gets retired there as well, although I'd argue against it.

Interestingly enough, the only franchise to retire a number for something other than a player is the Minnesota Wild, who retired #1 as a tribute to all their fans.

Also, the Leafs no longer retire numbers (since 1933) but instead have an honor ceremony for the player. Once they do that the number goes back in circulation. AFAIK, the only numbers currently retired in Toronto are #5 (Bill Barilko) and #9 (Ace Bailey). Oddly enough, Barilko's number was only worn for 1 of his seasons as a Leaf.

fanaheim

Jan 22, 2008
There's talk that maybe the Devils and Ducks will retire S. Niedermayer's #. Maybe.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There's talk that maybe the Devils and Ducks will retire S. Niedermayer's #. Maybe.

It's possible, but I highly doubt the Devils ever retire #27, especially since two rookies have already worn it since.

Ray Bourque was the first one I thought of when I saw the thread, I guess because I always found it silly that Colorado retired his number.

Reilly*

lol @ Detroit retiring numbers. Sorry, Detroit doesn't retire numbers of just anyone who's put on the uni. Chelios, Shanahan, Coffey etc. aren't getting their number retired. Lidstrom is the only sure shot right now with Fedorov sitting on the fence (though, I think it should be).

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Messier joined Gretzky and Bourque as the only players currently with this honor, apparently. I read it in a trivia book last night :clap:

The Korean*

Messier joined Gretzky and Bourque as the only players currently with this honor, apparently. I read it in a trivia book last night :clap:

No offense to Bourque, but what did Bourque do in Colorado to get him that honor? What a joke. Anyways, Pittsburgh should retire Ron Francis's number.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Shanahan doesn't have his number retired, Fedorov definitely won't.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
No offense to Bourque, but what did Bourque do in Colorado to get him that honor? What a joke. Anyways, Pittsburgh should retire Ron Francis's number.

I dunno, 73 points in 94 games and carried them over the top to win the Cup with 10 pts in that postseason (which was the reason he was traded in the first place) is no small feat. Yeah - he's always going to be remembered as a Bruin, but from an Avs fan's perspective, it's their first Cup and he was a big part of it.

If Leetch's number was retired in Boston, THAT would be a joke.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I dunno, 73 points in 94 games and carried them over the top to win the Cup with 10 pts in that postseason (which was the reason he was traded in the first place) is no small feat. Yeah - he's always going to be remembered as a Bruin, but from an Avs fan's perspective, it's their first Cup and he was a big part of it.

Nope.

Patrick Roy will join this club soon, no doubt.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

second cup actually.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Al's number is retired in St. Louis...but not Calgary.

Do Calgary fans feel that his number should be retired? because from my perspective, he's as much (if not more) a Flame than a Blue. He roughly split his career in half between the two teams, with more games in Calgary. And (again, I may be dead off since I'm not a Flames fan) I think the argument can be made that he's the greatest Calgary Flame in their history.

TrustInJarmo*

Do Calgary fans feel that his number should be retired? because from my perspective, he's as much (if not more) a Flame than a Blue. He roughly split his career in half between the two teams, with more games in Calgary. And (again, I may be dead off since I'm not a Flames fan) I think the argument can be made that he's the greatest Calgary Flame in their history.

That's a good question to ask a Flames fan.

I know when I went to Calgary years ago to see a game...all the fans I talked to loved MacInnis.

I would think the majority would want his number retired. He was apart of the only Stanley Cup in Calgary's history, back in 1989.

Though Lanny, Vernon, Gilmour, Mullen, Nieuwendyk, Otto, Fleury and many others had a lot to do with that Cup run as well...and you can't retire everyone's #.

Though Chopper did play for Calgary for 13 years. Compared to 10 years in St Louis.

I think he should have it hung up in Calgary too...but I'm not a Flames fan and don't know there history as well as Flames fans.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
did Chicago retire Bobby Orr's #4 ??? i know he played only 26 games & i don't follow the hawks thats why i'm asking. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad