WJC: Players missing from the WJC

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I personally believe that attendance at the world juniors for a player who can make the team should be mandatory. I know it would be bad for a team like Edmonton to lose McDavid for a week or two but it would make the tournament so much more exciting. Maybe pushing up the age of draft eligibility to 20 or 21 would make the World Juniors a hell of a lot more interesting. I know this is a far fetched idea but that's what I would do if I could mold the hockey world whichever way I felt.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I personally believe that attendance at the world juniors for a player who can make the team should be mandatory. I know it would be bad for a team like Edmonton to lose McDavid for a week or two but it would make the tournament so much more exciting. Maybe pushing up the age of draft eligibility to 20 or 21 would make the World Juniors a hell of a lot more interesting. I know this is a far fetched idea but that's what I would do if I could mold the hockey world whichever way I felt.

You are not alone.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

For whose benefit? In some cases, possibly many, the NHLers don't even want to go to the WJC. I also doubt that the tournament would be as popular as it is today if the NHL didn't take players every year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For whose benefit? In some cases, possibly many, the NHLers don't even want to go to the WJC. I also doubt that the tournament would be as popular as it is today if the NHL didn't take players every year.

This. It adds to the excitement and gives guys a chance to play who wouldn't get the chance to. For them, this is the pinnacle of their career and they go all out every shift.

In a weird way, it's more exciting with the NHL having players not go.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This. It adds to the excitement and gives guys a chance to play who wouldn't get the chance to. For them, this is the pinnacle of their career and they go all out every shift.

In a weird way, it's more exciting with the NHL having players not go.

It is not. Like at all. It waters down the whole event. Too many countries whose talent pool is so very thin already without key players being denied participation.

Then again, if one enjoys slaughterfests dominated by the few nations that do have wide talent pools, I suppose it is more exciting.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It is not. Like at all. It waters down the whole event. Too many countries whose talent pool is so very thin already without key players being denied participation.

Then again, if one enjoys slaughterfests dominated by the few nations that do have wide talent pools, I suppose it is more exciting.

Who are these countries? Canada has been by far the country with the most players kept out of the tournament (over 200 instances), and yet Canada is the most successful country in this tournament. Without NHL involvement Canada's record at the WJC would be ridiculous. USA is comfortably the country that has missed the second most, and their depth is good. A country like Finland has only missed seven players total. The NHL taking players helps this tournament avoid featuring more "slaughterfests".

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The players who are missing are by and large done with their junior careers. I know there's some guys like Beauvillier who should be here, but guys like McDavid, Matthews, Laine have nothing left for them in junior hockey, so they shouldn't be in a junior tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad