Players having breakout seasons so far

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Who on your team is currently having a breakout season? I know we're just over a quarter of the way through the season, but I feel like we're able to get a decent impression on players having breakout years.

Canucks:

Jake Virtanen - he's finally looking like a productive top 9 winger. He plays a simple North-South game, he's not great on the cycle and doesn't have the best vision/IQ, but he still has a lot of speed and a good shot. Currently on pace for about 38 points with 27 goals, but I suspect he finishes around 20 goals and 30-35 points. He said he wanted to be more of an agitator this season, which we've only seen glimpses of, but I could see him being a valuable player in a playoff series with some big hits and getting under the opponent's skin.

Nikolay Goldobin - he's been very polarizing for our fanbase. Some people say he's a plug because he doesn't bury a lot of the golden opportunities Pettersson sets him up with. But he's still been picking up a lot of assists lately and he processes the game quickly. He shows bursts of skill where he can dangle or make a really nice pass, but consistency is still a bit of an issue - especially defensively. He's currently on pace for 51 points this season.

Ben Hutton - he got grilled by coach Green for being out of shape last season, which explains his abysmal numbers and being scratched for a quarter of the season. He took it in stride and this year he came to camp in great shape after a vigorous off-season training regime. He looks a lot faster this season, he makes great decisions and passes while under pressure, and his wrist shot has been pretty accurate so far. He's now QBing our first unit PP until Edler comes back, which says more about how bad our offensive defencemen are, but this is still easily his career year so far. He's on pace for 37 points this year, but that number will likely go down with the arrival of Edler.

EDIT - Pettersson and Horvat are a given as well lol.

Last edited:

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Matt Dumba has been a goal scoring machine on D for Minny.

I think Jake DeBrusk has also elevated his game to a new level.

Domi is an obvious choice.

For Toronto, Kapanen is the easy choice with 9 goals, just 1 behind Kyle Connor, Phil Kessel, Mike Hoffman and Johnathan Machessault. Not bad company.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Matthew Tkachuk is the obvious one, guy is on pace for 101 points. Elias Lindholm as well, although I didn't watch enough Carolina last year to know whether he's actually playing significantly better than he was in Raleigh or if he's just benefitting from playing along side JG and Monahan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
On the Flames side.
Matt Tkachuk -> Showing some elite level play.
Elias Lindholm -> Fits like a glove on the Flames top line. He was suppose to be more skilled than Sean Monahan at their draft, now he's finally showing it.
Noah Hanifin -> Absolute break out season. He's playing top 3 minutes, against major competition and thriving.
Sam Bennett -> Not 'break out' in terms of putting up monster points, but he's a huge factor every night; similar to how someone like Tom Wilson impact a game without even putting up a tonne of points.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
dubois
chytil
point
marner
aho
chabot
hoffman finally free from the karlssons
dumba
roslovic
tkachuk
hertl/meier
rantanen
pettersson
debrincat
tuch
ryan playoffs orielly
raanta

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Morgan Rielly is a missing name so far. He has for sure emerged as a top D. With that said his last game (last night) wasn't great IMO but there isn't a player in the league who doesn't have poor nights.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Not a major breakout player, but Kerfoot had 43 points last season on Colorado, and currently has 17 in 21 games. He's also been good in the face-off circle, on a terrible face-off team, and has been a huge part of the Avs getting some secondary scoring from their second line.

It's a big deal for Colorado.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dubois has already been mentioned (altho for those of us who saw the latter half of his season last year, it's not too much of a surprise), but the really big breakout guy for the Jackets has been Nutivaara. He's always been a mobile point producing blueliner, but this season so far he's also become excellent defensively on top of that. It's surprising but very welcome.

Reactions: Sensators

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
As already mentioned...DOMI. . 26 pts in 22 games with 11 yes that's right 11 goals.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Dubois has already been mentioned (altho for those of us who saw the latter half of his season last year, it's not too much of a surprise), but the really big breakout guy for the Jackets has been Nutivaara. He's always been a mobile point producing blueliner, but this season so far he's also become excellent defensively on top of that. It's surprising but very welcome.

Anderson is also looking really good so far. Looks like he'll easily be a 20-30 goal scorer this year.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I think Jordan Greenway ends up being a stud in this league. I bet he hits 20g this year

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Andreas Athanasiou has been playing great, on pace for 40+ goals and could truly have 3-4 more as he was snakebitten for the first 4-5 gamds of the season. He’s always had the talent and the hands, but his all around game has allowed him to be used more. 55-60 points and 30 goals seems like a realistic stat line come seasons end

Another under the radar player is Tyler Bertuzzi, who is on pace for close to 50 points. Very underrated player imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad