Players have lost $371-million in salary as of December 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Accord said:
Based on a $1.83-million average NHL salary, players have collectively lost $371-million as of December 1st. This was reported in the latest The Hockey News.

There about to lose alot more until they accept a cap based system.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
kerrly said:
There about to lose alot more until they accept a cap based system.

yup and so are the fans. the only ones with nothing to lose is the parties who have everything already.

yup, how sad.

dr

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
DementedReality said:
yup and so are the fans. the only ones with nothing to lose is the parties who have everything already.

yup, how sad.

dr

yea but the loss is temporary for fans... UNLESS the league doesn't fix the problems with the old CBA.. in that case, us fans lose the game forever..

now which would u rather have?

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
chriss_co said:
yea but the loss is temporary for fans... UNLESS the league doesn't fix the problems with the old CBA.. in that case, us fans lose the game forever..

first off, i have never felt slighted under this deal. i think i have a good enough perspective as a Calgarian Canucks fan.

well, the medicine might be worse than the disease. be careful what you wish for.

dr

Go Flames Go*

Good I hope they loose more and more, until they make CFL wages when the cap is put in place. No matter what Goodenow proposes or tries, there will be a cap gaurnteed by uncle bettman. Hes gonna kick the NHLPA's ass.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Based on the league average, each player is losing approximately $5,013 per day Those with the ridiculously high ~10 million dollar contracts are losing roughly $30,000 per day.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Good.

The longer the lockout goes on, the greater the chances of the Winnipeg's and Quebec's have of acquiring a team through relocation! Put NHL hockey back where the community cares about the teams.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
Jets4Life said:
Good.

The longer the lockout goes on, the greater the chances of the Winnipeg's and Quebec's have of acquiring a team through relocation! Put NHL hockey back where the community cares about the teams.

Community maybe, but will your governement care this time?

I.am.ca

Accord said:
Based on a $1.83-million average NHL salary, players have collectively lost $371-million as of December 1st. This was reported in the latest The Hockey News.

Good. :handclap:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
jwr38 said:

Most definitely.

The government subsidized "some" losses that the Jets incurred in the 90's. In fact the Premier told Mark Chipman (AHL Moose owner) that no government money would be invested in the new arena unless the capacity was over 15,000 seats (can you guess why...). Chipman originally planned a 12,000 seat arena. Mayor Sam Katz has said on record that he gets more email on the Jets than any other subject in the community. Premier Doer said he would support any possible return of an NHL franchise to the Winnipeg market. I stand by my belief that the Jets will return, possibly in 3 or 4 years!

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
The part that makes my hair stand on end is the fact that with the exception of 5 or 6 players on each team, none of these players have any job skills outside of hockey. They are absolutely unemployable in the "real" world. Maybe let them go out a find a job outside of hockey for a while and then a guy like Modano can find out what dog food really costs.

As for the owners, either they make the game affordable for the regular Joe or they can go to hell too. I'm not missing the games on TV, and I get to go to more Junior games.

YellHockey*

chriss_co said:

How Pejorative Slured is this logic?

How can anyone really believe that a multiBILLION dollar industry is going to cease to exist?

Is the owners' brainwashing that good or are people that stupid?

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:

How can anyone really believe that a multiBILLION dollar industry is going to cease to exist?

I think people mean the NHL as it is known today.. Pro Hockey will continue in some form, but the changes will likely be radical..

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:

I find it hard to believe that people are so stupid that they believe multi billion dollar businesses cannot cease to exist. Does worldcom ring a bell? How about US air or other airlines?

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
jwr38 said:

I don't get that, whenever Canada subsidises an industry, the US clamors in calling it contrary to free trade laws and an unfair advantage. But when it comes to the sports industry the US subsidizes like no other. Now I know they subsidize other industries too but in sports it's just ridiculous.

Lanny MacDonald*

BlackRedGold said:

Seems to me that its the pro-PA side that makes you want to believe that a multiBILLION (holy melodrama batman) dollar industry is going to cease to exist. After all, when all those players refuse to come back and play the game is never going to be the same and those darn owners will be sorry! (insert graphic of a player stamping his feet and wailing like a three year old here)

You also may not want to bring up brainwashing. You display many of the traits of the brainwashed and have obviously been one of Bob Goodenow's best customers at the old NHLPA kool-aid stand. Heck, you stand behind Bob better than the majority of his union does!

:lol

Brent Burns Beard