WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Out of 10 (considering I missed game #3) :

Markov : 9,5 (the general is back!)
Plekanec : 9 (nice to see him back too)
Diaz : 9 (what a great surprise!)
Gallagher : 8,5 (I wasn't expecting him to perform as well already)
Emelin : 8,5 (he's a monster)
Prust : 8,5 (I love everything he brings to the table)
Galchenyuk : 8 (so much talent... future all-star!)
Price : 7,5 (awesome first 3 games)
Pacioretty* : 7,5 (was the best player on his line before he had to sit)
Gorges : 7,5 (his usual self)
Bouillon : 7,5 (better than expected, he's not finished)
Gionta : 7 (better than last year, agressive, but I fear he's on decline now)
Bourque : 7 (much better than last year, but I think he can still do better)
White : 7 (a real pest, as we like)
Moen : 6 (more invisible than last year, in the shadow of Prust now)
Kaberle : 5,5 (nothing catastrophic, but I don't like his careless kind of game. He's useless if he doesn't produce)
Cole : 5,5 (not the Cole from last year)
Desharnais : 5 (a deception... his confidence is low, but the effort is there)
Armstrong : 5 (invisible... a non-factor so far)
Eller : 4,5 (still looking for his true identity as a NHL player... He'll have trouble taking his spot back from Galchenyuk)
Budaj : 4,5 (bad start, but he's not the only one to blame)
Weber : need to see more before grading

EDIT : Added Cole

Last edited:

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Hum.. I don't see why Pacioretty deserves a 7.5 while guys like Price, Gorges, Gionta are equal and under him.

Pacioretty was not good in the games he played. He got assists here and there but he was struggling to make anything happen like his whole line.

And you forgot Cole. Which should be around 4-5.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Price: 9 (Has been our best player no doubt, rock solid thus far)
Markov : 9 (Amazing talent, injuries made me forgot how good he was)
Plekanec : 8.5 (Who would have believed that giving him decent teammates would make him produce :sarcasm:)
Diaz : 7.5 (Nice chemistry with Markov but when Subban dresses he'll be on the bottom pair and he still has work to do on defense)
Gallagher : 7 (Not really surprised that his game is translating well in the NHL, was our best forward in the AHL this season)
Emelin : 8 (Has made tremendous progress in his defensive game, I'm pretty impressed considering he's playing with his off-side too and has had no problem adapting his game and still incorporating his trademark vicious hits)
Prust : 8 (Perfect bottom 6 player)
Galchenyuk : 6.5 (Has been inconsistent so far but not really surprising from an 18 year old, he's gonna have to figure out what works and what doesn't work in the NHL but he's got a great future ahead of him that's for sure)
Pacioretty* : 7 (Didn't look too impressive in the games he played but he was getting the job done)
Gorges : 8 (his usual self)
Bouillon : 7 (He's been reliable defensively but I'm not too impressed by his positionning on the PK for a stay at home D)
Gionta : 7.5 (He's played real well, gotta love his intensity and his effort every night)
Bourque : 7.5 (Much more involved physically than last year, he's playing like Kostitsyn on the ATM in the golden days of that line, has to work on his accuracy tho)
White : 6.5 (I love his heart but he has to tone down the stupid penalties)
Cole: 7 (Rough first couple of games but he's getting back to how he was playing last year)
Moen : 7 (Quietly getting the job done but he could be more physical, he reminds me of the way he was playing in his 1st year in MTL)
Kaberle : 5 (Nothing exceptional offensively but he's not worth how anxious he gets me when he's on the ice)
Desharnais : 6 (Has to step up his game and use his playmaking skills is less predictable ways)
Armstrong : 7 (He's getting the job done but like Moen he could be more physical but I liked his game tonight)
Eller : 6 (Not given a fair chance imo but he's not sticking out out there)
Budaj : 6 (Wasn't Price but what do you expect from a back-up who rarely gets to play?)

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
7,5 is pretty good! I'm totally satisfied by Price. It looks average because many other players have good grades but 7,5 is excellent in my eyes.

You have:

Budaj 6.5 (edit, i'm tired, you have him at 4.5 @Chris Cutter has him at 6.. )
Price 7.5

Enough said...;) (edit; i still think your numbers are off! :))

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
You have:

Budaj 6.5 (edit, i'm tired, you have him at 4.5 @Chris Cutter has him at 6.. )
Price 7.5

Enough said...;) (edit; i still think your numbers are off! :))

Oh well, that might be severe. I could have given 8 or 8,5 too. Nothing too scientific here. ;)

I just feel he didn't have to do any miracle so far. His defense has played great in front of him.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Price : 10 (Top five tendy's in the league and showing it.)
Markov : 10 (Yes, a 10. This guy is a huge reason for the winning streak we had going and our revamped PP)
Plekanec : 9 (4 goals already..One of the best PKers in the game. Our #1 center)
Emelin : 8.5 (So refreshing to watch him play. Old school!)
Prust : 8.5 (See Emelin. Just gotta bury those chances and he's easily a 9)
Bourque : 8.5 (Looks like a new player. Has really impressed me, even though he's only scored one)
Gionta : 8 (Already got a couple of goals.)
Diaz : 8 (Played great this year, but reserving true judgement til later. Markov makes a lot of players look good.. See Komisarek, Mike)
Gallagher : 8 (Love his tenacity to size ratio.)
Galchenyuk : 8 (You can tell he's still nervous out there, but playing great for an 18 year old with tons of pressure. Love him)
Gorges : 7.5 (Steady. Best word to describe him)
Cole : 7 (got a goal last night and still works hard every game.)
Bouillon : 7 (Good so far based on expectations)
Pacioretty : 6.5 (Didn't really impress me before he went down with the injury.)
Eller : 6.5 (Don't see why he's in the doghouse. Hasn't really been that bad compared to players like DD thus far.)
White : 6 (Like his energy and sticking up for guys. Hate his stupid penalties)
Kaberle : 5 (Not as bad as people like to make him out, but soft and overpaid.)
Moen : 5 (I like Moen a lot, so I hope he picks it up. Pretty invisible)
Armstrong : 5 (See Moen)
Desharnais : 4 (He's been terrible. I knew he wasn't going to repeat last year, but didn't expect this kind of free fall.)
Budaj : 3 (Yeah, the team played bad tonight. But when he's in net, I have no confidence for a victory)
Weber : N/A

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Markov : 10 (Yes, a 10. This guy is a huge reason for the winning streak we had going and our revamped PP)
Plekanec : 9 (4 goals already..One of the best PKers in the game. Our #1 center)
Emelin : 8.5 (So refreshing to watch him play. Old school!)
Prust : 8.5 (See Emelin. Just gotta bury those chances and he's easily a 9)
Bourque : 8.5 (Looks like a new player. Has really impressed me, even though he's only scored one)
Gionta : 8 (Already got a couple of goals.)
Diaz : 8 (Played great this year, but reserving true judgement til later. Markov makes a lot of players look good.. See Komisarek, Mike)
Gallagher : 8 (Love his tenacity to size ratio.)
Galchenyuk : 8 (You can tell he's still nervous out there, but playing great for an 18 year old with tons of pressure. Love him)
Gorges : 7.5 (Steady. Best word to describe him)
Cole : 7 (got a goal last night and still works hard every game.)
Bouillon : 7 (Good so far based on expectations)
Pacioretty : 6.5 (Didn't really impress me before he went down with the injury.)
Eller : 6.5 (Don't see why he's in the doghouse. Hasn't really been that bad compared to players like DD thus far.)
White : 6 (Like his energy and sticking up for guys. Hate his stupid penalties)
Kaberle : 5 (Not as bad as people like to make him out, but soft and overpaid.)
Moen : 5 (I like Moen a lot, so I hope he picks it up. Pretty invisible)
Armstrong : 5 (See Moen)
Desharnais : 4 (He's been terrible. I knew he wasn't going to repeat last year, but didn't expect this kind of free fall.)
Budaj : 3 (Yeah, the team played bad tonight. But when he's in net, I have no confidence for a victory)
Weber : N/A

This is pretty much it for me too.
I'd bump Moen up after Eller and White way down. Lower than Desharnais, I mean, he hasn't been invisible, he's been detrimental.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Out of 10 (considering I missed game #3) :

Markov : 9,5 (the general is back!)
Plekanec : 9 (nice to see him back too)
Diaz : 9 (what a great surprise!)
Gallagher : 8,5 (I wasn't expecting him to perform as well already)
Emelin : 8,5 (he's a monster)
Prust : 8,5 (I love everything he brings to the table)
Galchenyuk : 8 (so much talent... future all-star!)
Price : 7,5 (awesome first 3 games)
Pacioretty* : 7,5 (was the best player on his line before he had to sit)
Gorges : 7,5 (his usual self)
Bouillon : 7,5 (better than expected, he's not finished)
Gionta : 7 (better than last year, agressive, but I fear he's on decline now)
Bourque : 7 (much better than last year, but I think he can still do better)
White : 7 (a real pest, as we like)
Moen : 6 (more invisible than last year, in the shadow of Prust now)
Kaberle : 5,5 (nothing catastrophic, but I don't like his careless kind of game. He's useless if he doesn't produce)
Cole : 5,5 (not the Cole from last year)
Desharnais : 5 (a deception... his confidence is low, but the effort is there)
Armstrong : 5 (invisible... a non-factor so far)
Eller : 4,5 (still looking for his true identity as a NHL player... He'll have trouble taking his spot back from Galchenyuk)
Budaj : 4,5 (bad start, but he's not the only one to blame)
Weber : need to see more before grading

EDIT : Added Cole

I would give Price a better note, same with Armstrong, for a 4th liner did good. Bourque has been real good but need to finnish more.

PricePkPatch*

To be 100% fair, most of Diaz's points come simply because he was the last one to pass to Markov before Andrei makes the play.

I know that it still takes skill to hold the zone, have good pass control and movement that allows you to keep the PP flowing. But he hasn't been that stellar otherwise. Subpar defensive coverage.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Markov : 10 (Yes, a 10. This guy is a huge reason for the winning streak we had going and our revamped PP) - Had a tough game last night so he drops to 9.5
Plekanec : 9 (4 goals already..One of the best PKers in the game. Our #1 center) - Agreed
Emelin : 8.5 (So refreshing to watch him play. Old school!) - Agreed
Prust : 8.5 (See Emelin. Just gotta bury those chances and he's easily a 9) - Agreed
Bourque : 8.5 (Looks like a new player. Has really impressed me, even though he's only scored one) - Drop to 8.0 since the production has not been great
Gionta : 8 (Already got a couple of goals.) - Agreed
Diaz : 8 (Played great this year, but reserving true judgement til later. Markov makes a lot of players look good.. See Komisarek, Mike) - Agreed
Gallagher : 8 (Love his tenacity to size ratio.) - Agreed
Galchenyuk : 8 (You can tell he's still nervous out there, but playing great for an 18 year old with tons of pressure. Love him) - 10 at home, 5 on the road
Gorges : 7.5 (Steady. Best word to describe him) - Agreed
Cole : 7 (got a goal last night and still works hard every game.) - Lower... he has not been good at all
Bouillon : 7 (Good so far based on expectations) - Agreed, maybe even a bit higher
Pacioretty : 6.5 (Didn't really impress me before he went down with the injury.) - Agreed
Eller : 6.5 (Don't see why he's in the doghouse. Hasn't really been that bad compared to players like DD thus far.) - 5.0
White : 6 (Like his energy and sticking up for guys. Hate his stupid penalties) - Agreed
Kaberle : 5 (Not as bad as people like to make him out, but soft and overpaid.) - 3.0 - he is bad
Moen : 5 (I like Moen a lot, so I hope he picks it up. Pretty invisible) - Agreed... maybe a bit higher
Armstrong : 5 (See Moen) - Agreed but our fourth line is much better that in previous years
Desharnais : 4 (He's been terrible. I knew he wasn't going to repeat last year, but didn't expect this kind of free fall.) - Agreed. He's looking real real bad right now. Hopefully, he picks it up because, right now, he deserves to be scratched.
Budaj : 3 (Yeah, the team played bad tonight. But when he's in net, I have no confidence for a victory) Agreed
Weber : N/A Trade him

Pretty much agree with you!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I find it's waayyyyy too early for grading players considering Saturday would normally be game 1 in a normal season with a camp and preseason.

The guys coming from junior/AHL and Europe have a big edge over guys that have been training but on their sofa all fall/winter. I think from now on the playing field will be more even. The first game Cole and Gionta looked like they were skating in cememnt but have played better the last couple.

IMHO the real test will be after 24 games, we'll know what we have, who is buying in or not with MT and MB's system.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
You forgot Subban (0)..........he meets up with the team in Ottawa and BOOM they play like the habs of last year!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Markov : 10 (huge fan of his but didn't expect him to look this good)
Plekanec : 9 (he looked very good when I saw him in the Czech Elite league, glad to see it carry over, looks great)
Diaz : 8.5 (he's been good on the PP but helped by playing with Markov)
Gallagher : 9 (shocked at how good he's looked, hope he gets quicker over time though)
Emelin : 9.5 (I know playing with Markov is helping him but I am suprised at how good he looks playing on his off-side)
Prust : 8.5 (glad to have him on board, love how he sticks up for his mates and gets his nose dirty)
Galchenyuk : 9 (i'm a huge fan of his but didn't think he would put up the points like he has)
Price : 8.5 (has been very good for the most part)
Pacioretty : 7 (disappointed before his injury but the entire line looked terrible)
Gorges : 7.5 (steady as usual)
Bouillon : 8 (shocked at how well he's played, was not expecting too much despite being a longtime fan of the cube)
Gionta : 7.5 (looks good considering he's missed a full year)
Bourque : 7.5 (actually wrote an article where I wanted the Habs to sign him as a FA out of the NCAA with Wisconsin but wanted to puke after watching him last season, glad to see he looks much better so far)
White : 7.5 (love the way he plays, not the smartest player but tons of heart. How about next season a 4th line of Moen-Dumont-White, would be fund to see)
Moen : 5 (has not looked very good to me)
Kaberle : 2 (can't stand seeing him in a Habs sweater)
Cole : 5.5 (a big disappointment so far)
Desharnais : 2.5 (looks beyond terrible, and I'm a big fan of his)
Armstrong : 4.5 (hasn't looked very good imo)
Eller : 4 (needs to start producing)
Budaj : 3 (I don't look forward to seeing him in net, hope we have a better backup next year)

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Ratings are relative to the role I expect them to play. So a seven for white does not mean the same as a seven for Plekanec.
Forwards
Armstrong: 6. Has been involved somewhat, but needs to pick up his physical play. He gets a 6 because his speed alone makes our fourth line much more effective, even if he is avoiding the big hits.
Bourque: 8.5. Exceeding expectations all around. Is involved and is physical too.
Cole: 4. Seems to have lost a step. Needs speed to be effective and is not very speedy.
Desharnais: 4. Small centre suffering because bigger line mates aren't producing.
Eller: 4.5. Looks a little lost out there. Could be hurt by the lack of ice time.
Galchenyuk: 7.5. Chuckie is looking good out there for an 18 year old, but needs a bit more refinement in his game.
Gallagher: 8.5. Is overshadowing his line mate Galchenyuk IMHO, which is a good thing. Both do the little things right - very important in young players - but Gally just seems more engaged, possibly due to the physical nature of his game.
Gionta: 8. Nothing fantastic, but nothing horrible either. Needs to keep his game simple.
Moen: 6.5. Moen has not been his normal self. Possibly lacks the speed to match with his line mates?
Pacioretty: 6.5. Was slowly coming around before his appendectomy, but was still looking slow like Cole. Patches doesn't need speed the way Cole needs speed, but his game hurts for it.
Plekanec: 8.5. Good production from him. Excellent in his own zone. Hopefully on his way to an excellent bounce back year.
Prust: 8.0. Everything we wanted and more. Makes a lot of room for Gally and Chuckie and is dangerous in his own right.
White: 7.5. I love his game. But he needs to tone down the crazy a little bit and stop taking quite so many penalties.

Defense
Bouillon: 7.0. Giving Frank the Tank the benefit of the doubt here. I figure he was brought in to add a physical component when needed and otherwise ride the pine. With Subban's absence he's been on the PP and PK and hasn't looked especially good. He hasn't been bad either, but I kinda miss the Bouillon of old who would go careening around the ice running into anything in his path.
Diaz: 9.5. Exceeding all expectations and then some. I had Diaz figured to be in a skill/grit type platoon with Francis.
Emelin: 9.5. Watching him deliver a body check is a thing of beauty.
Gorges: 7.5. Solid play from our most reliable defender.
Kaberle: 4.0. I had high hopes for Kaberle. He has thus far done nothing but disappoint.
Markov: 10. Hard to find any faults in his game, except that I cringe any time someone makes contact with him out of fear for his knees. Has made out PP absolutely lethal.
Weber: Not enough ice time to rate.

Goalies
Budaj: 6. It's hard to fault him entirely for last night but at the same time his rebound control was atrocious, which caused us a lot of grief.
Price: 10. Has been everything we have needed and more. Shows almost no signs of rust too - he came intending to win this season.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Markov: 10 – The General
Price: 9,5 – Calm, sound technique
Plekanec: 9 – Finally, regular wingers!
Gallagher: 8,5 – He is receiving easy minutes but I would not hesitate to use him against tougher competition. Our Canandiens also look faster with him in the line up.
Emelin: 8,5 – I thought he was too green to act as a stabilizing force (especially as a RD)... I was wrong.
Gorges: 8 – A versatile anchor.
Diaz: 8 – He compensates the strength he lacks by solid positioning and energetic movement
Prust: 8 – The guy is a legit 3rd liner
Bouillon: 7,5 – I still don’t like him in the top4 but the guy does not take one shift out.
Gionta: 7,5 – It’s good to see a pro on Plekanec’s wing
Bourque: 7,5 - More alert in the slot though I wish his shots were more accurate!
Galchenyuk: 7 – He is currently behind Gallagher on his learning curve but Galchenyuk = Gem.
White: 7 – Prust should be a good role model for him.
Moen: 6,5 – Could be a good stop gap measure while waiting for Pacioretty on Desharnais’s LW. He looks more cautious since his concussion.
Pacioretty: 6 – He lacked patience on evens strength but he was productive on the PP.
Desharnais : 5 – He is too easily separated from the puck while entering the zone alongside the boards but he is working hard and giving his wingers opportunities.
Cole: 5 - He looks slower and though he never was a solid playmaker, he is suffering from a heavy case of tunnel vision. On the plus side, he is physically involved.
Armstrong: 5 – I am not sure if he is quietly effective or simply invisible to be honest!
Eller: 4,5 – It’s Eller’s 3rd season in Montreal and I expect more constancy. He looked good during the last 3rd period.
Kaberle: 4,5 - He is slow and sometimes looks un-energetic. I like his passing skills.
Budaj: 4,5 – He was not the main reason for the loss but 5 goals against are 5 goals against!
Weber: 4 – Thus far, he played 10 minutes of un-inspired hockey; he is not in an easy situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad