Players going on Auction

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Given my past history it's probably all moot anyway. I'm regularly in several of these lotteries and get nothing (you have to go back 5 or so years to the only lottery I ever got lucky with). I think only Matt Gledhill has as bad a record with these things as I do.

Besides, now that I know Reggie is involved I know my chances went from slim to none ;)

Default101

well he isn't #1 priority.. but if not then if STL wants to offer 50K or whatever it would take to make sure he gets him then by all means i won't try to match.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Given my past history it's probably all moot anyway. I'm regularly in several of these lotteries and get nothing (you have to go back 5 or so years to the only lottery I ever got lucky with). I think only Matt Gledhill has as bad a record with these things as I do.

Besides, now that I know Reggie is involved I know my chances went from slim to none ;)

No, I think my record is up there with you guys. I know I've lost at three just to the Canucks.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think I won one lottery about 5 years ago. Yann Danis maybe? It was the year that he, Junior Lessard and Randy Jones were all available, I got one of them. Since then....nada.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

To be sure. :sarcasm:

And careful what you wish for. The one lottery I won gave me the right to sit there and watch Peter Sejna languish in the minors for years. I think I got a late round draft pick out of him at some point, but I'm not sure it was worth the time of tracking him for so many years.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002

To be sure, I don't ever recall winning any of these freaking things. The only time I ever seem to be successful with a prospect signing is when it's with someone that flies completely under the radar (a la Hunwick).

That said, if we're going back and reviewing some of the first round bids, you and I should now be involved in a coin flip for Joe Vitale, Drew. ;)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
To be sure, I don't ever recall winning any of these freaking things. The only time I ever seem to be successful with a prospect signing is when it's with someone that flies completely under the radar (a la Hunwick).

I hear that. My prospect signings that succeeded were mostly guys that didn't receive other offers: Dustin Penner, Jim Vandermeer, Randy Jones... I don't know if anyone else had submitted bids for Dennis Wideman or John Curry, but I know Drew and I were a toss of the coin between us for Ty Conklin and another NCAA grad goalie (I can't remember which one) -- I came out on the top of that one. But haven't won any lottery guys -- this must be the year! ;-)

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Same here...I have four guys that might play for me this year (Zanon, Glencross, Pardy, Prust) and I didn't go anywhere near the max on any of them. (Mostly) makes up for missing out on every lottery.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I hear that. My prospect signings that succeeded were mostly guys that didn't receive other offers: Dustin Penner, Jim Vandermeer, Randy Jones... I don't know if anyone else had submitted bids for Dennis Wideman or John Curry, but I know Drew and I were a toss of the coin between us for Ty Conklin and another NCAA grad goalie (I can't remember which one) -- I came out on the top of that one. But haven't won any lottery guys -- this must be the year! ;-)

Although I seem to have become associated with lottery wins, at least in recent years the same has been true for me. Jason Garrison, Jason Demers, Zack Smith and Jon Kalinski all look as good or better than Tyler Eckford. Only Eckford was a max signing though of that group. Jesse Winchester was as well, but I believe it was only a two-team lottery.

Looking back, my success or failures have been all over the map. Lottery wins on Chris Collins and David McKee netted me a midget journeyman and a recently convicted criminal. Although lottery wins like Rene Bourque and Andy Greene were nice, I also didn't need a lottery to sign Francois Beauchemin or Andrew Ebbett.

That's not to say winning lotteries isn't a good thing, just that doing your homework (and luck) have as much or more to do with prospect signing success.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002

I think I was in on Conklin, too...was the other goalie Tuomas Tarkki?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad