NFL: Players/Coaches under most scrutiny to produce in 2019

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Who are some of the players/coaches around league who really need to have big year because they are under microscope of scrutiny maybe as result of big contract they haven't lived up to , draft status they haven't lived up to , cant stay healthy , etc , etc?

One example I imagine is the expectations in SF are high for Jimmy G (Coming back from injury) and Shanahan in year 3

How will 49ers react if they end up with another 4-12/6-10 season under Shanahan in year 3? What if Jimmy G again struggles to stay healthy or doesn't establish himself as a capable #1

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Jameis has one more chance to establish himself and is now paired with one of the league's smarter offensive minds -- this is it for him if he doesn't produce.

Mariota is another good pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bill O'Brien.
Funny because name comes up every year, should do more with the team he has, and by the end of the year somehow everyone agrees that he did better than he should have.

I look at Mike Zimmer. Vikings had top-5 defenses 3 years in a row. It's very hard to keep that running, and now he's in a division that's going to have at least 2 other tough defenses. When Seattle was doing it, they made sure they always made the playoffs. Got his pick at offensive coordinator, and is also working under the same roof as Gary Kubiak.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I look at Mike Zimmer. Vikings had top-5 defenses 3 years in a row. It's very hard to keep that running, and now he's in a division that's going to have at least 2 other tough defenses. When Seattle was doing it, they made sure they always made the playoffs. Got his pick at offensive coordinator, and is also working under the same roof as Gary Kubiak.

Both Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer might need not only a playoff berth but a win or two in the playoffs to keep their jobs. The Wilfs have spent a ton of money and have been patient but probably won't be for too much longer. It seems like Kubiak doesn't want to be a HC or OC so I don't think that part is a concern.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Funny because name comes up every year, should do more with the team he has, and by the end of the year somehow everyone agrees that he did better than he should have.

I just think coming off a 11-5 season (losing to the Colts at home) and now with him essentially in charge as GM, he will be a tad bit under pressure. He did well early in his career with not a franchise quarterback, but now he has one. So no excuses. He is 42-38 with the one playoff win against Connor Cook. Plus he has not been able to build an oline. He needs a playoff win this season.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
One would hope "The Clapper", Jason Garrett.

Only way Garrett gets canned if the Cowboys are 1-7 by midway of the season.

But if either Zeke isn’t there or Dak under performs, Jerry will come up with the old ‘ well our best player wasn’t there so I can’t fire him’ excuse..

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, the honeymoon period is definitely over for Zimmer. To be fair, he has had a decent amount of success with the team, but the Vikings have still been inconsistent in his tenure. 2 years straight missing the playoffs may be enough for the Vikings to go a different direction. The one thing that may keep him around though is how poor their track record has been with head coaches. Zimmer is very easily the best coach they've had this millennium. It's been an absolute shit-show since Dennis Green.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad