Speculation: Players bought out this summer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I was on Dallas Cap Friendly page and the contract of Martin Hanzal stuck out as a guy that could be bought out this summer, that is a rough contract.

It made me wonder who else could be bought out this summer?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd take Ennis on the Canucks for your Buffalo 3rd rounder- saves you the dead cap completely and allows both Zucker and Dumba to get their extensions easily with room to spare.

The $5 million cap increase might do that by itself. I'd say maybe the middle 3rd rounder, but I'd keep Buffalo's off the table because we don't have a 2nd rounder.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
The $5 million cap increase might do that by itself. I'd say maybe the middle 3rd rounder, but I'd keep Buffalo's off the table because we don't have a 2nd rounder.
That's fair. I just think where the Wild are in that middle bubble team area, they need to do more this offseason than just keep status quo. Obviously a healthy Suter would have made a big difference in this year, but the Wild aren't a Suter away from truly contending. But having the cap space from the increase in the salary cap and moving Ennis' contract would allow for a pretty decent UFA signing. As for which pick that's still fair I'd easily do the middle pick.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I was on Dallas Cap Friendly page and the contract of Martin Hanzal stuck out as a guy that could be bought out this summer, that is a rough contract.

It made me wonder who else could be bought out this summer?

Hanzal most likely can't be bought out. He had back surgery in March with a 6-7 month projected recovery time.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Never really liked buying guys out. Suck it up and take the contract for it's duration.

Not much gained in minimizing the cap hit by doubling the term.

Reactions: shello

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Never really liked buying guys out. Suck it up and take the contract for it's duration.

Not much gained in minimizing the cap hit by doubling the term.

Agreed. Unless the roster spot is needed for someone else, or the player is literally useless it’s not worth it. For Dallas I expect and hope we keep both Hanzal and Spezza.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Matt Moulson sold his house in Buffalo.

My guess is that a buyout is coming.

If it happens, I think it'll be more of a favor to Moulson than anything else.
Buffalo could bury him in the minors again, save just about the same cap space (roughly 300k less) and have no dead cap on the books next year.

If they buy him out they will be hit with about $650k dead cap next year.
But I think they save roughly the same amount in real money paid out.

So Buffalo saves their owner a little cash and Moulson gets a shot to make another NHL club (likely on a tryout or vet minimum 1yr deal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad