May 24, 2014
Calgary
Mangiapane is bread and butter.
Bread-and-Butter-pickles.jpg

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is the NHL profitable for the owners while compensating the players with 50% of hockey related revenue?

- > No? Then the players may be overpaid.

-> Yes? Then the players are not overpaid.

Are all players overpaid?

-> Or are only star players overpaid relative to their contribution to the team?

-> Or are roleplayers like Zadorov overpayed relative to their contribution to the team?

-> Are goalies overpaid?

-> Are restricted free agents overpaid?

Reactions: digger1188

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Players are overpaid, 80's NHL stars made a lot less money while scoring more points, global economy this and that, etc.

I have nothing to say to this thread but if you have, please post it here instead of other threads.

I think there's also one subforum for financial stuff
Let the ruling classes tremble, Comrade!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The owners turn around time and time again and ask for hundreds of millions of dollars of public funds or threaten to move the team while players take all the physical/mental risk. They take a 50/50 split, the players aren't over paid the owners are. As a society we need to stop looking at the low end of the rich and claiming they are the problem the real issue is billionaires and as the recent leak shows none of them are really willing to pay their fair share. Atleast athletes put it in tens of thousands of hours of work to make their money, many Uber wealthy live off handouts from the government while avoiding all taxes they are the real overpaid problem in our society.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If players accepted less money, the pressure would be on the owners to restore the balance somehow instead of them. Someone has to take responsibility.

In capitalism, the system lays that responsibility at the feet of the consumer. It is ultimately up to the consumer to dictate how much revenue there is to divide.

You are advocating for responsible collective action. History would suggest that that only happens through incentivization or legislation. Or the threat of violence.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
In capitalism, the system lays that responsibility at the feet of the consumer. It is ultimately up to the consumer to dictate how much revenue there is to divide.

You are advocating for responsible collective action. History would suggest that that only happens through incentivization or legislation. Or the threat of violence.

A consumer can't be held responsible if they aren't equipped to understand or comprehend the full scope of what they are consuming, and how their consumption of that product might negatively impact other areas of our shared culture and economy. It's the same dynamic regardless of what the product is, but pro sports is tied into so many other things i.e. media and culture. It's insulting frankly to assume a consumer will always be back to consume the same product year in and year out, whether or not they get fair value in return for their contribution. The message it sends to the culture is that these people are entitled to this and these people are not, which contradicts all the political BS pro sports has been shoving down our collective throat for the past year and a half in particular. The disparity transcends vague economic jargon; it's a matter of ethics. I make less in an entire year than a player makes in one game, despite the fact that what I do for a living is what I'd deem to be an essential service, and there are people who make even less than I do.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
It's not about capitalism or communism, but getting a fair balance in return for the billions generated every year. You want fair value for a house, for a car, for almost everything else you spend money on except your entertainment? Pretty much sums up why our culture is in the shitter. Distortion of our collective notion of the term "value".

If it really was about capitalism, you'd have a number of different leagues vying for your business, instead of one league saying, you will take what we give you and you will like it, no questions asked. It's actually quite a bit like communism, but only for the fans.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's not about capitalism or communism, but getting a fair balance in return for the billions generated every year. You want fair value for a house, for a car, for almost everything else you spend money on except your entertainment? Pretty much sums up why our culture is in the shitter. Distortion of our collective notion of the term "value".

I get fair value for the money I spend on entertainment. If I didnt, I wouldn't spend the money on that particular entertainment. NHL, Premier league, movie theater visits, Netflix etc all worth the money for me

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I get fair value for the money I spend on entertainment. If I didnt, I would spend the money on that particular entertainment. NHL, Premier league, movie theater visits, Netflix etc all worth the money for me

So what are your other options when it comes to hockey?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
So what are your other options when it comes to hockey?

Watch some other league if I think it's worth the money, or not watch at all if I think it's too expensive.

But that's not what you said. You said that people dont want (or maybe get) fair value for entertainment. You cant say how much other people value NHL games

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Watch some other league if I think it's worth the money, or not watch at all if I think it's too expensive.

But that's not what you said. You said that people dont want (or maybe get) fair value for entertainment. You cant say how much other people value NHL games

The only way to know the value of anything is to have something to compare it to, which hasn't really been the case in hockey since the WHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad