Player-specific attributes

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Wouldn't you like to see players act more like their real life counterparts?

Like, if you controlled Patrick Kane, he would only go half speed back towards his own goal. And there'd be like a magnetic forcefield that would prevent him from entering a board battle. Or you wouldn't be able to hit a guy even if you spammed the hit button. It just wouldn't work.

Would give players a more unique feel.

Or if you play with Tom Wilson, you can't not hit a guy and just play the puck. Hjalmarsson shoots the puck out the zone off the glass, if you gain possession of the puck in the defensive zone.

You couldn't do anything out of the range of what the player you control would normally do. Your controller turns into a brick if you control Ovechkin in the defensive zone. You would only have the space of what each player realistically would do in a given situation.

How would that sound? Make it a new mode. Real Life Mode.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I loved All Pro Football because it had traits as opposed to ratings. It would be cool for certain elite players to have certain traits totally unique to them.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I think for a game like NHL they should just go with badges like in 2k NBA games, it would work because you would still be able to do everything without restrictions but in order to get the best out of the players you’re controlling you have to play like they do in real life.

They have traits in FIFA series but those don’t work as well as badges do and are AI only.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I just played a 4 game series against the Kings, and Jeff Carter was basically McDavid.
I was basically speechless at how he was dominating.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Madden has a system where the special players will get special bonus abilities to somewhat set themselves apart. Even something like that would be something.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's funny to see McDavid an afterthought on the Oilers and the league. Two simmed seasons in a row and Nugent-Hopkins lead the Oilers in points both years, McDavid not even top 10 in league scoring.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Attribute overhaul is loooong overdue. Star players have inflated stats to boost overall. Would be better to just change how overall is calculated and make attributes more realistic.

Attribute influence on overall was based on playertype as recently as nhl 10/11 qnd it was great. No boosting defensive awareness just so the CPU would dress a top 6 scoring forward.

I also much preferred the potential system where offense, defense and physical were all give letter grades to represent how they'd grow separately rather than a generic 'top 6' or 'top 9' type system we have.

Reactions: StevenB

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Attribute influence on overall was based on playertype as recently as nhl 10/11 qnd it was great. No boosting defensive awareness just so the CPU would dress a top 6 scoring forward.

I also much preferred the potential system where offense, defense and physical were all give letter grades to represent how they'd grow separately rather than a generic 'top 6' or 'top 9' type system we have.

Yeah. NHL 12 was on the right track there then the star system and now elite/top6 etc is a step backwards. Players still grow based on their types (most twf don’t grow skating too much, etc) but it’s not as good as 12 was in that aspect. I hate seeing grinders with 5 star puck skills and 4 star physical categories it makes no sense lol

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeah. NHL 12 was on the right track there then the star system and now elite/top6 etc is a step backwards. Players still grow based on their types (most twf don’t grow skating too much, etc) but it’s not as good as 12 was in that aspect. I hate seeing grinders with 5 star puck skills and 4 star physical categories it makes no sense lol

Wanna talk about grinders? how about half the generated top 10 prospects being grinders.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
How so?

I don't remember Eastside Hockey Manager having an overall rating. Just look at their attributes and use players you think will do well.

because with fog of war, youd have a ridiculous range unless you spend unlimited time scouting particular teams

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Haven’t played since NHL 19, and that I mainly played GM mode in, but I really think that the traits and badges of the FIFA games are long overdue for the NHL series.

If I recall correctly, the FIFA games kind of “unlocked” certain moves and increased the likelihood of them being pulled off with players’ attribute scores, in a better and more dynamic way than the NHL games where less creative players would simply fail and lose the puck when attempting a windmill deke or whatever.

There were kind of shitty players with cool attributes and abilities in the FIFA games, which I thought was awesome: it was a lot of fun playing against friends and choosing random, low-tier teams and trying to exploit the abilities of their tiny and slow dribbling wizard, or dumb as a doorknob, overweight striker albeit one with the ability to consistently nail a bicycle kick, or finding out that one of the fastest players in the game is a random midfielder on a bottom-feeding Russian team — stuff like that.

I’d love controlling Andrei Svechnikov or Nils Höglander, knowing they’re two out of a handful of guys with the ability to score a Michigan goal in the game, for example.

And no, I don’t necessarily want to see frustrating stuff like back checking speed gimped for bad defensive players I guess, but I’d at least like more detailed, perhaps context based move sets for players and player types.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad