Player Report Cards

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lou: F

He is responsible for assembling an old/slow, punchless team with a popgun offense.

He waited too long to pink slip Pete and the hyrdra was a curious move at best.

Roster mgmt was bumbled early on failing to make room for Gomez.

Tootoo was a good signing, Cammy was even better.

Kinkaid should have been the backup from the start.

Having no choice but to play Fraser, Zubrus, Ruutu and Gionta has many fans wondering if Lou has lost it.

4 out of 5 is bad but this season felt the most hopeless.

He's under intense scrutiny at this point to cleanup the trainwreck he conducted.

May have one more draft and season to show tangible signs that the team is really back on track.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I'll give it a whirl. I've honestly only watched about half the games this year, but I've seen a lot of Devils game in my life and I'll offer the most honest assessment that I can on a very down and disappointing season:

Forwards

Steve Bernier: B- I started the year wanting Bernier gone, but over the course of the season he grew on me. As a 4th line winger, Bernier fills out nicely and does about everything you want out of a bottom 6 guy. The problem was he was counted on to do more for a pitiful offensive team and that's not necessarily fair to him. That being said, he arose to the challenge on most nights, though not always on the score sheet.

Mike Cammalleri: A- He was banged up so that prevents and even better grade. For a UFA signing adapting to a new team and a different role, Cammalleri was worth just about every penny. You can't ask much more given the circumstances. On many nights, he seemed like our only capable NHL top 6 forward.

Ryan Clowe: F Despite the injury given how much we needed a player of his caliber, the money and years we invested in him, we've gotten nothing out of him. Though not necessarily fair, it is what it is. Hope he bounces back.

Patrik Elias: C- I've been very critical of Elias and it's clear as day that not only has he lost a step, he's lost a few. His lack of strength and his seemingly packing-it-in style of play really rubbed me the wrong way. I see a guy on a massive decline. Were there moments of "hey nice play Patty, there's the old Elias?" Yes, but they were few and far between.

Stephen Gionta: D I don't know, I'm just not a fan of Gionta. In my opinion, he's a career AHLer in just about every organization except this one. Does he play with heart? Sure. But his skill level combined with his lack of size is a huge turn off. I hope he proves me wrong someday but he's no spring chicken. Hoping we move on from him.

Scott Gomez: A Good for Scotty. It's almost unbelieveable how down SJ and Montreal fans were on him and rightfully so. He had all the makings of a guy who just can't cut it anymore and is holding onto something that simply isn't there. Well he proved a lot of people wrong and had the vision and capable speed we really needed. The guy deserves a lot of credit.

Martin Havlat: F A complete an utter joke of a player who is riding the coattails of a once bigtime scorer to a mere shadow of his former self. On top of that, the guy has a mouth on him. Get him out of NJ and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Adam Henrique: B- I honestly expected a little more out of Henrique but I think he just showed what he is. A good young two-way forward who needs decent linemates to produce. There's nothing to be a ashamed of with that, but I still want more #'s for a guy logging big minutes and with the talent he has. He still kind of gets a pass from me given his age, past production and upside.

Jacob Josefson: C+ Meh, I'm kind of even keel on Josefson. To me he's a good 4th line center with PK abilities and who showed a little something in shootouts and really that's about it. I thought he was trash for years and really Lou trying to showcase for a trade or just to prove himself right after so many bad Swedish forwards and overall bad offensive draft picks. Josefson showed he's at least NHL capable, so that was a positive.

Tuomo Ruutu: D- I don't see much of anything when I watch Ruutu. Once in a blue moon he makes a decent play but for the most part is invisible. At his ridiculous salary for what he brings he gets no "atta boys" from me.

Michael Ryder: F A complete failure of a player at this stage of his career Ryder is on the next flight out of NJ and into obscurity. He's completely worthless when he's not using his good shot in open ice to bury goals. He did none of that this year which made him a no-brainer scratch down the stretch. We couldn't even trade his worthless ass at the deadline, that's how bad he is.

Jordin Tootoo: A- Tootoo exceeded expectations and a hat's off to him for that. A guy who should be asked to fight here and there and take the body and not a whole lot else put the team on his back on some nights which is way beyond what his role is. Good for him.

Travis Zajac: C- Zajac was a huge disappointment and his lack of production really killed this team. I don't want to give him a pass due to lack of linemates, but I have to hold on to some kind of hope that he'll bounce back next season. Make no mistake, his poor offensive play was a big reason for the failure of this season and lack of offensive firepower.

Dainius Zubrus: F The biggest joke of a player perhaps on the team next to Ryder. One of the most useless offensive players I've seen log big minutes in, well, ever. Never liked the signing from the start, even coming over from Washington but it was a desperate move for an offensively inept team at the time and the repercussions of those deals are coming to fruition now, as Zubrus is getting a lot of ice time, getting paid a lot of money and doing nothing.

Defensemen:

Mark Fraser: F I haven't watched a ton of him, but he hasn't shown me anything that he's a capable NHL player. I've seen him make big mistakes in the defensive zone, take bad penalties and offer no upside at this stage of his career. Be gone I say!

Eric Gelinas: C Not seeing enough out of Gelinas offensive and not good enough defensively to not be a liability. He gets another year next year to bounce back in my eyes but the chain has shortened on him significantly. He's numero uno on trade bait if I'm Lou.

Andy Greene: A One of the few leaders and steady night-in-and-night-out stalwarts on either side of the ice for us. A true professional and a solid #2 Dman in my eyes for a team with a bunch of 4's 5's and 6's to be honest.

Peter Harrold: D There's nothing in Harrold's game that makes him NHL capable and there's not much more to say really. Undeserving of the too many opportunities he's already gotten quite frankly.

Adam Larsson: A- For a guy who was scratched under boneheaded former coaching, he really shined given the opportunity that he rightly deserved. It's about time he came around and all he clearly needed was a chance. The fact that a former #4 overall selection and #1 Dman selected took this long to get an opportunity is a joke and no fault of Adam's.

Jon Merrill: C+ I was honestly disappointed in Merrill's play this year. He just seems to play with hesitance and lacks confidence. He has all the tools though. For that, he gets a pass from me this year.

Bryce Salvador: F Another of our many complete wastes of space on this roster and it's players like Salvador that are responsible for this team being the catastrophe that they are. That's not all necessarily Bryce's fault. Hell, if I stunk too and was offered big money I'd sign too. The blame lines in the front office.

Damon Severson: A Breakout season for the young two-way Dman and his play was one of the few bright spots this year. I saw a young player play with bigtime confidence and showed great vision almost as if he'd been doing it for years. Despite a hiccup with an injury, he has all the makings of an elite young Dman.

Goalies:

Keith Kinkaid: B+ Kinda came out of nowhere to all but lock down the backup goalie spot for this team. Hats off to the young man. Played well when he got some help and on some nights even when he didn't.

Cory Schneider: A+ One of the better producing goalies in the league for an absolutely terrible hockey team is really saying something about how good Cory is. The sky is the limit for him in the future and he's really locked down the most important position for a team moving forward. This team frankly would be in shambles if we needed a goaltender, too.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Only 2 A's to Bernier is insulting in my opinion. He just had the best season of his career on a ****** team after playing like crap the season before. He makes 600 thousand a year, and put up a near 20 goal pace.

My 2 cents.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Only 2 A's to Bernier is insulting in my opinion. He just had the best season of his career on a ****** team after playing like crap the season before. He makes 600 thousand a year, and put up a near 20 goal pace.

My 2 cents.

and didn't even start the season in the league

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think everyone just grades differently, but I believe everybody respected Bernier's contributions this season. He had a great bounce-back year. I feel like all Devils fans are proud of him for that.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If you remember, Bernier was drafted before Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Weber, Bergeron, and Brent Burns.

He'll get an A when he scores 25

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Here's my full one

Steve Bernier: A. I don't think he'll have a season like this again next year, nor do I think he'll be as bad as he was last year. He overachieved, though I still think the experience in Albany served as a kick in the ass. I feel bad for ripping on him last year. I really have a newfound respect and love for this player, and I won't turn him again if he is underwhelming next year.

Mike Cammalleri: A-. Would have liked to see his assist total increase a little bit. Had a high shooting percentage this year, so I'm not sure he'll score as many goals next year. He can make up for it with an increase in assists though. He exceeded my expectations.

Damien Brunner: D-. This guy blows ass and got what he deserved in being banished to Europe, even if the coach was unfair to him.

Ryan Clowe: Incomplete. For the time that he did spend in the lineup, I'd give him a C- though I can't remember much about what he looked like this season. Hopefully he retires, he can't play even get patted on the head without a concussion anymore.

Patrik Elias: C-. Would have given him a C, but he gets the minus for just appearing careless as times. Seems like he packed it in a couple of times later on, not that others didn't too. He's not a bad player at this point, just a declining one.

Stephen Gionta: C. Better as a winger than center.

Scott Gomez: A. Exceeded expections. Don't expect him to perform at a 50 point clip next season, though I would still very much like him back.

Martin Havlat: D. He's finished and wasn't very good after the first couple weeks.

Adam Henrique: B-. Pretty good by this team's standards, just is too streaky sometimes. As has been the case for most of his career.

Jacob Josefson: B. Still a little underwhelming at offense, though a big improvement and a step in the right direction. Great on breakaways and his work in the shootout alone gets him a B overall.

Tuomo Ruutu: D+. Not horrendous for being on the 4th line all season and not having the length of leash that Zubrus had. He still isn't very good anymore and is way overpaid.

Michael Ryder: F. He's finished in the league. **** him.

Jordin Tootoo: B+. Didn't like this signing or this player at all at first. He's a pretty likeable player and a good goonish type player. Much better than the Boulton's and Barch's or god forbid Janssen's that we've had around lately. He scored some of our nicest goals this season too, as bad as that sounds. Would like him back next year if we can clear some deadweight.

Travis Zajac: D+. Love him but he didn't have a very good season at all.

Dainius Zubrus: F. The fact that he's under contract for next year is a complete joke. He's long since been finished. Just an embarrassment at this point. Have some dignity and retire, you ****ing suck!

Mark Fraser: F. Doesn't belong in the league. Should have just let him rot wherever he was before we brought him back.

Eric Gelinas: C. Improved defensively, regressed offensively.

Andy Greene: B+. Would have been higher if he wasn't forced to play on the wrong side on the PK earlier in the year. Thanks again Foligno!

Peter Harrold: D. Alright 7th defenseman.

Adam Larsson: B+. Was good all year and then really broke out after the coaching change.

Jon Merrill: D+. Bad sophomore slump.

Bryce Salvador: F. He just doesn't belong in the NHL anymore, not even before he was injured and certainly not at the 20 minutes per night they were giving him.

Damon Severson: B+. Pretty impressive rookie season. His goal last night kept me from rioting that we only scored one on a stock car driver.

Keith Kinkaid: B. Pretty good for an NHL backup. Bring him back and soon, before he's sitting on the market with the Emery's and Carter Hutton's (AKA TRASH) of the league.

Cory Schneider: A. Early season softies prevented him from getting a + added to that A. He was this team's best player and won so many games for us almost single handedly, including some where we scored one ****ing goal.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Here's my full one

Steve Bernier: A. I don't think he'll have a season like this again next year, nor do I think he'll be as bad as he was last year. He overachieved, though I still think the experience in Albany served as a kick in the ass. I feel bad for ripping on him last year. I really have a newfound respect and love for this player, and I won't turn him again if he is underwhelming next year.

Mike Cammalleri: A-. Would have liked to see his assist total increase a little bit. Had a high shooting percentage this year, so I'm not sure he'll score as many goals next year. He can make up for it with an increase in assists though. He exceeded my expectations.

Damien Brunner: D-. This guy blows ass and got what he deserved in being banished to Europe, even if the coach was unfair to him.

Ryan Clowe: Incomplete. For the time that he did spend in the lineup, I'd give him a C- though I can't remember much about what he looked like this season. Hopefully he retires, he can't play even get patted on the head without a concussion anymore.

Patrik Elias: C-. Would have given him a C, but he gets the minus for just appearing careless as times. Seems like he packed it in a couple of times later on, not that others didn't too. He's not a bad player at this point, just a declining one.

Stephen Gionta: C. Better as a winger than center.

Scott Gomez: A. Exceeded expections. Don't expect him to perform at a 50 point clip next season, though I would still very much like him back.

Martin Havlat: D. He's finished and wasn't very good after the first couple weeks.

Adam Henrique: B-. Pretty good by this team's standards, just is too streaky sometimes. As has been the case for most of his career.

Jacob Josefson: B. Still a little underwhelming at offense, though a big improvement and a step in the right direction. Great on breakaways and his work in the shootout alone gets him a B overall.

Tuomo Ruutu: D+. Not horrendous for being on the 4th line all season and not having the length of leash that Zubrus had. He still isn't very good anymore and is way overpaid.

Michael Ryder: F. He's finished in the league. **** him.

Jordin Tootoo: B+. Didn't like this signing or this player at all at first. He's a pretty likeable player and a good goonish type player. Much better than the Boulton's and Barch's or god forbid Janssen's that we've had around lately. He scored some of our nicest goals this season too, as bad as that sounds. Would like him back next year if we can clear some deadweight.

Travis Zajac: D+. Love him but he didn't have a very good season at all.

Dainius Zubrus: F. The fact that he's under contract for next year is a complete joke. He's long since been finished. Just an embarrassment at this point. Have some dignity and retire, you ****ing suck!

Mark Fraser: F. Doesn't belong in the league. Should have just let him rot wherever he was before we brought him back.

Eric Gelinas: C. Improved defensively, regressed offensively.

Andy Greene: B+. Would have been higher if he wasn't forced to play on the wrong side on the PK earlier in the year. Thanks again Foligno!

Peter Harrold: D. Alright 7th defenseman.

Adam Larsson: B+. Was good all year and then really broke out after the coaching change.

Jon Merrill: D+. Bad sophomore slump.

Bryce Salvador: F. He just doesn't belong in the NHL anymore, not even before he was injured and certainly not at the 20 minutes per night they were giving him.

Damon Severson: B+. Pretty impressive rookie season. His goal last night kept me from rioting that we only scored one on a stock car driver.

Keith Kinkaid: B. Pretty good for an NHL backup. Bring him back and soon, before he's sitting on the market with the Emery's and Carter Hutton's (AKA TRASH) of the league.

Cory Schneider: A. Early season softies prevented him from getting a + added to that A. He was this team's best player and won so many games for us almost single handedly, including some where we scored one ****ing goal.

These are pretty much the grades I mostly agree with.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou: F

He is responsible for assembling an old/slow, punchless team with a popgun offense.

He waited too long to pink slip Pete and the hyrdra was a curious move at best.

Roster mgmt was bumbled early on failing to make room for Gomez.

Tootoo was a good signing, Cammy was even better.

Kinkaid should have been the backup from the start.

Having no choice but to play Fraser, Zubrus, Ruutu and Gionta has many fans wondering if Lou has lost it.

4 out of 5 is bad but this season felt the most hopeless.

He's under intense scrutiny at this point to cleanup the trainwreck he conducted.

May have one more draft and season to show tangible signs that the team is really back on track.
I don't know if I would give Lou an F, but I certainly wouldn't give him better than a D+ or C- at best.

The Havlat signing wasn't bad, it's just that he wound up being finished.

Fraser playing as much as he did was a joke, not firing Pete earlier (and giving him a two year extension last season) was bad, bringing back Oates was very questionable, Kinkaid being juggled around between Albany and Jersey was baffling early in the season. Lou has even hinted at saying Kinkaid probably should have been playing earlier in the year. I wonder if this was another strike against Pete that played into his decision to can him?

The Gomez thing wasn't too big of a deal, just kinda lame that they could have buried Brunner before the season started. He started out as a healthy scratch anyway.:shakehead

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
My grades measured on original expectations and overall play, trying hard not grade based on what i think their value to the team is as an asset, although I may have failed a bit there.

Zajac - D+ Gets all the tough assignments, but his offense contributions fell into a pit. Was hanging around with Jagr for a good portion of the season and not much to show for it.

Cammalleri - B+ Pretty much came in and did whatever he usually does. Maybe at a slightly lower clip, but pretty good for a new team.

Henrique - C+ We saw strong showing of him in the middle of the season, but he kind of fell flat near the end and also didn't start off very well. Was expecting more from him, maybe he was better in actuality, but my expectations were higher.

Elias - D+ I know he was on a decline even last season (speed, inconsistency), but this was a really poor showing. He seems to have lost his trademark poise with the puck. Don't know if its a confidence thing, but he used to be able to dictate the game, now he seems to be struggling with his own skill set. Had moments in the season, but really disappointed. He cannot elevate others around him anymore. Disappointed? yes, not sure what to expect next year from him. Didn't like certain various PR quotes this season.

Jagr - C+ Pretty much as expected. Worked fine until he got the mumps/flu whatever. Given he is forty-whatever, and his status/skill set, he did what he was advertised to do. Oates came in and didn't give a **** anymore, and so did Jagr.

Havlat - D Didn't get a good look, to be honest. Showed some promise early on, but got injured, and injured, and injured, and then scratched, scratched, scratched. Maybe this is as expected. Havlat probably takes a good share of the blame, hence D, but the coaching/managment takes a bit too.

Ryder - D- I was okay with Ryder when he was signed, but not sure what happened the last few years. He just doesn't score, thats a problem when thats your assigned objectives on the team. At least, not the way he did in Montreal. I know those years are gone, but.......he really didn't perform at all. Unfortunately he is truly more a complementary player and there was no one to boost his game. He just didn't perform. I disagree with managments handling of him, but that's another story.

Bernier - B+ Considering he was in the AHL earlier this season, he played well. He still shouldn't be in our top 6 though ideally, but good for Bernier.

Tootoo - A+ What can we say here? The guy completely beat expectations and not by a little, but by a lot. Much much much better than his name history/scouting report that precedes him. Maybe it was just a comparison compared to our piss-poor offensive core, but this guy has more speed, flair, accurate snipe shot, than anyone else on the time not named Cammalleri. His vision/passing is pretty solid. Although stats look like the glorified 4th liner due to half season not playing or limited 4th line minutes, but the eye-test in game watching this guy (after coaching change he played with top linemates) indicate a dramatic better story. One of "Oates" successes, I remember the groans when he first got PP time, but Oates move to play with Cams was the right move, given the assets the team had. Shouldn't truly be in the top 6 but well, or one would think the team could be deeper, but he has his opportunity and he showed he has the raw talent to be there. Wish more of the team had his attitude and speed.

Gomez - B- The guy always played this same way, but I think having a more acceptable contract helped remove people's negative aura on him. Also comparing our forward core, he stood out (along with Cam, Tootoo).

Josefson - B- - Progressed in his limited role. Considering he was seeing under 10 mins a game before PDB was fired (if he saw icetime), he has done well. It was less limited after PDB was gone, but still limited. I like what he see, i wish he would somehow get on the scoresheet more. He has everything the team needs on paper. Good defensively, speed, good hands, decent on the boards, however something is missing to make him a good player and I still can't figure it out.

Gionta - C Nothing spectacular, does his job, brings some speed, fit his "role" of a 4th liner, 3rd line tops. But herein lies the problem: He gets played more than 4th line minutes. His PK abilities are a bit overstated, IMO. Guy doesn't take up a lot of space, players can avoid his stick checks easily on PK. Don't see why we can't upgrade him.

Zubrus - D I'm not on the F train for him. He lost his speed, and his hands are still stone hands, but he's still good around the boards. He takes up a lot of space, can still PK. His career moved to a 4th line role. Don't get the abject hate for him when you have guys like Elias, Zajac and others who are massively underperforming.

Ruutu - D+ Paid way too much for what he does. Otherwise he's an ok 3rd line grinder. Seems to disappear for LONG stretches. However not his fault, him, and a few others are symbolic of what this team DOESN'T need.

Brunner - N/A Paid too much, not enough time to evaluate him properly like the others. He may have had a better showing under Oates.

Clowe - N/A Meh

Greene - B Meh, I might be one of the very few guys here that find his abilities somehwat overstated. The guy does his job, is pretty good. Wouldn't call him an exceptional player, but good in the 1-4th slot.

Larsson - B+ Love his progress given his jailterm under PDB. Once free, he showed he is a stud in the making. Has more poise, and a shot that finds the holes well. If we could somehow do something with his speed to make it better, but his positioning is solid and makes up for it. His stick work is good. Still remeber the PDB interview earlier this season saying this guy was not in his top 7 out of camp, and didn't have the skills except to be a Salvatore type physical defensmen.

“Adam came into the league and everyone saw some offensive instincts and we gave him a chance to play in some offensive situations and as his three or four years in the organization have come – and not just at the NHL level, but at the American League level – some guys have passed him in those offensive situations: the (Eric) Gelinas of the world, even Jon Merrill and (Damon) Severson coming in,” DeBoer said. “So, to his credit, he’s figured out I’d better find a better niche and another way for me to be effective and get some minutes here.

Although Devils coach Pete DeBoer said, “the 20 that had the best camps are the 20 that are playing tonight”, he also noted there wasn’t much difference between the players who are out tonight and those who are playing.

“There’s no doubt we were splitting hairs on some of those decisions,” DeBoer said. “Like I said before, any of the three guys that are out today I could stick in the lineup tonight and I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it and we probably wouldn’t miss a beat. So, we were splitting hairs on some of those decisions, but those are the tough decisions you have to make.

Severson - B- Love the immediate impact of skill that you see from this guy. Didn't know much about him prior to this season. Think he can be a real player in a year or two. Overplayed early in this season by PDB, my personal opinion. His raw skillset is unquestionably good.

Merrill - C Over played, but still has lots of growing him. Not the best showing over the 82 games, but he is not part of our problems. Hopefully only upside from here.

Zidlicky - C+ - He did what he was supposed to do. Could have been better for sure, but he sure wasn't the problem of this team.

Gelinas - C- Not sure what people expect from him. "Kovy-esqe" slapper, and decent vision. Not sure if his defensive play is worth the rewards he brings. Don't mind seeing him moved to help obtain a better forward core.

Harrold - C- He, like Fraser, is what he is. He played within his abilities, which aren't that much. He gets a C- for just doing what he does. However, he is exactly part of the Lou/PDB asset management problem which plagues this team.

Fraser - C- He isn't good, but what can you expect from a guy who is a career 7th defensemn or worse? Mark Fraser did what he "does" and that is it. Probably shouldn't be on the team, but Lou does his thing. I don't give him and F for suckage, but because how can you have expectations beyond what he always was? If anyone should get an F, it is Lou.

Salvador - D (N/A). Where art thou O Captain. Not good in his early season showing. At least, relative to his standards. N/A for being gone for so long, not even a quote from the guy after he went on LITR or whatever.

Helgeson - N/A Guy can make a career in the NHL. I actually really enjoyed watching him play with Larsson earlier in the season when he got some time under PDB. Though he was pretty damn solid considering the expectations were so low.

Schneider - A MVP of the team, poor guy would have won awards if this team was better in front of him. He had his moments, but if you look at what team was in front of him, he was doing everything he could. A+ would be if he had kept up his pace for longer.

Kinkaid - B- Much better than expected. Actually, I feel this guy can be a 1B starter on a weaker goalie depth team. Keith is IMO, not a backup goalie skill level but more like a young Bryzgalov. We actually could move him if the team is really serious about obtaining assets.

Clemmersen - N\A - Barely remmeber anything, can't say much but we have better.

DeBoer- D- His system works well if you have speed so you can do the heavy forechecking (like 2011/2012 team) and a veteran team. Since this team didn't have speed up front, what a disaster. Not completely his fault (Lou gave him a poor roster) but he is as stubborn as it gets. (See Larsson, running Cory into ground in early season, Gionta). Really really poor youth handling, to the point of destruction if he continued along the path.

Oates - C- Some positives early on, but not sure Ilike the vibe coming from vet players on his impact. Can't be too hard on the guy, the forward core is completely horrid as a whole and is Lou's fault....yet he somehow made better use of certain players (Tootoo, Josefson, Henrique). Didn't like his handling of Jagr (even if Jagr was ultimately trade bait). Bernier looked good still, and Cam picked it up big after Oates took over.

Stevens - B+ Judging from the players progression. May or may not be his actual input, but the right players playing in the right slots. The defense core didn't fall apart when PDB left so I feel he must be doing something well. I liked how he adjusted asset management of depth chart: Larson up, Merril\Sevs down a bit. Just my personal preference but i feels right. Want to see more of Stevens in a coaching role.

Lamoriello- F Most of the teams problems on on him. He waited too long with the coach, his personnel decisions before the season started and after PDB was fired is very questionable. Team had no speed, too many old/declining vets (Sal, Clowe, Elias, Ryder, Havlat, Zubrus, except for Jagr who gets a pass for his unbelievable HOF talent), too many grinders (Gionta, Ruutu, Bernier, Zubrus) . I would give him a better grade if he recognized these problems earlier. PDB was running one of his best young D into the ground and he waited forever to get that changed. Josefson was getting wrecked and overall confidence of the young guys was in the pits. Gomez was on the sidelines since September while we watch such a putrid forward core. Maybe its hindsight, but certainly he knew Gomez had more assets of speed and hands to help move an anvil, forward core. Are Gionta and Harrold on the team because they are former BC guys? Baffling asset management overall, either under his direct guidance, or he let PDB do his thing and was OK with it.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't know if I would give Lou an F, but I certainly wouldn't give him better than a D+ or C- at best.

The Havlat signing wasn't bad, it's just that he wound up being finished.

Fraser playing as much as he did was a joke, not firing Pete earlier (and giving him a two year extension last season) was bad, bringing back Oates was very questionable, Kinkaid being juggled around between Albany and Jersey was baffling early in the season. Lou has even hinted at saying Kinkaid probably should have been playing earlier in the year. I wonder if this was another strike against Pete that played into his decision to can him?

The Gomez thing wasn't too big of a deal, just kinda lame that they could have buried Brunner before the season started. He started out as a healthy scratch anyway.:shakehead

6th worst team in the league in points.
Looked even worse night in and night out with an immense dearth of offensive skill and/or creativity.

He also allowed a coach to mismanage players for way too long and many feel that he did not do enough shedding at the deadline due a pipe dream that he still had a chance to make the playoffs.

I stand by my F for Lou.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I didn't know Lou was a player on the team this year. Couldn't find any stats for him this year so he really must have been useless if he didn't play. Waste of a contract.

Reading comprehension fails again. Gotta love the thread title saying "player" twice, yet management is being discussed :laugh:. Love it!

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
If you're going to give the players grade, might as well give the context for whom they played for too (coaches/management)? Not sure what the problem is here.

Also, given Lou "played coach" for half a season why not? He was right there with them all the way to the end.

A lot of players did pretty well in their own right if you look at them, even for the roles they were put in for the team. Doesn't really sum up how the team fared, without putting their coaching/management into context.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
As the person who started this thread, I don't really mind people grading management/coaching as well as players if they want to. I'd like the biggest focus to remain on the players, but if management/coaching is brought up a bit as well, I think that's perfectly fine.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The coaches are supposed to put the players in the best position to win games. PERIOD!

You shouldn't have players grades without coaches grades

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'd give Lou a C I think. He made room for kids on D, gave Schneider his shot at being #1, signed Cammalleri, brought Jagr back, and I like that he filled holes in a transitioning lineup without leveraging the future thanks to some short term, low-risk deals.

I also like that, even though it meant bringing in Oates, Lou waited til this summer to make a real coaching hire with all sorts of potential talent in play. Biggest knock on him, IMO, is his '14 draft choices. I think the choices he makes this summer are going to be eye-opening in terms of seeing exactly where his head is without ownership and financial issues.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
only one grade that matters for me:

Team: F

Even without the #1 and #2 most hated people on the team (Salvador and Pete) around they stunk to high heaven.

Outlook: C- right now but that could all change in a week.

I choose to interpret Kinkaid getting resigned as a good omen for the rest of this off-season,so hopefully the C- outlook ends up improving.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I'll take a different tack and stay on the positive side for the most part.

First - I'll address the Merrill issue - I think he played very well, considering he was the only defenseman not babied. Yeah, he had lots of gaffes and was on the ice for some untimely goals - but he was the only guy NOT paired with Greene or playing sheltered minutes. A D- or F isn't warranted. If he was slotted in next to Greene we would all be raving about his play.

Schneider dispelled most doubts about his game and makeup. We haven't played any big games yet, so I'm not sure if he'll have to grow into the 'big game' goalie tag when this team is good enough around him to make games count.

Cammy is as advertised.

Henrique ran hot and cold but showed he's a valuable 2nd liner going forward.

Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Larsson all proved they are NHL defensemen.

Tootoo proved he belongs on an energy line.

Gomez proved he can still be valuable in the right situation.

Bernier proved he can be a decent depth 3rd line scorer.

Jacobson proved he warrants PK minutes and has the skill to finish breakaways and shootouts.

Greene proved he will solidify the blueline with whomever he plays as the kids grow.

Zajac is our biggest worry. He needs to resurrect his career.

Elias took a step towards the door. I foresee Marty-like unhappiness on the horizon.

Jagr/Zids - nice while they were here, brought back more, and then less, than we expected so...

Gionta brought speed and some heart. He's fine for limited 4th line minutes.

The rest is filler or garbage. Ruutu brought hits, Zubrus brought size, Fraser brought fists, Clowe brought headaches, Ryder/Havlat brought nothing discernible, etc...

This team just needs to add 'players that are difficult to play against'. Matteau is one.

I'm fine if Ruutu and Zubrus occupy 4th line space, but I'd rather see live legs at this point.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I don't know about that one....

I would go as far to say Zajac should be instead thanking Tootoo and Cam for helping him get some points before the season ended, because without those two, Travis would be still sitting there with about as many points as Ryder had, and Ryder didn't play in the last quarter of the season. Zajac is paid literally 10 times more than Tootoo, and can't even keep up the offensive play, 25 points to Tootoo's 15 points.

I like Zajac, but he had a really awful offensive season. He had Jagr also creating space for him for early part of the season while Tootoo was sitting in the stands or on the 8 min and under line under 4th PDB.

Tootoo's production picked up in the 2nd half after he got some real ice time with "good players." Zajac was there all season long and only had 10 more points than Tootoo.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
So, looking at this - I have 10 guys I am happy to see on the team next year: 4 D kids, Greene, Schneider, Cammy, Henrique, Kincaid and Matteau
I have another five guys I am ok with if they play to capabilities (Zajac, Boucher), or they duplicate exceptional seasons (Gomez, Tootoo, Bernier).

I am ok with another in a reduced role: Gionta and there's always a spot for Elias.

That's 17 with room for 5 more guys.
1 or 2: Helgeson? Raman? to hold down the #7 spot? or 6&7?
1 UFA forward?
1 kid from minors out of camp (Coleman? Pietla? Thomson?)
1 UFA veteran Dman?

Then Ruutu or Zubrus, I guess...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
May as well do the coaching grades.

DeBoer: D+. I don't blame him so much anymore for not making the playoffs. This roster on paper looked like it could have snuck in, especially with Cory's play for most of the year. Though Havlat was finished. Thought Ryder would bounce back but he's finished too. Elias dropped off too much and we wound up having to play bottom 6 guys on all lines because of how terrible Brunner, Ryder, and Havlat were. He was toxic for Larsson though, maybe even Josefson too. And we blew TOO MANY multi goal leads with him, which was a noticeable improvement after he left. The only huge improvement in the team's play. He also made stupid decisions in the shootout far too much, so I do think he's to blame for some of the shootout woes due to his choices of who to put in. And riding Cory for over 20 games to start the season and refusing to use Kinkaid until December. A change NEEDED to be made.

Oates: C-. Couldn't get the team to play a better posession game. The scoring chances we had were better than under DeBoer and whoever made the shootout lineup decisions deserves a lot of credit. Power play is effective at scoring but gives up too many shorthanded opportunities every other power play chance it seemed. He also deserves credit if he also helped fix the blown multi goal lead woes. Don't really want him back though, at least not as the head coach.

Barr: A. PP was very good his entire time coaching it. PK was record breaking his first year as while it wasn't great at killing penalties during his second year, they sill scored a lot of shorthanded goals and had a pretty good goal different on the PK. One of the best assistants we've had in like a decade, not sure why the hell he was fired.

Foligno: F+. I already did this jerk off but I just wanted to talk about him some more. Our PK was an embarrassment to the league in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season because Greene was playing on the wrong side. Multi PP goals given up per game sometimes early on. Too bad he didn't fix it until we were at or below 500. If Salvador didn't get injured, this jabroni probably never changes things. He's the assistant that should have been fired. He gets a + added to his F for the fact that we finished 14th overall on the PK. Played Fraser on the PK constantly, despite his constant **** ups and inability to clear the zone. **** this worthless jackwad.

Stevens: B. Larsson broke out and he actually helped Gelly with that mini camp. He probably had something to do with the fact we weren't blowing all those multi goal leads too. Would be a higher grade if he was able to get this team to maybe allow fewer shots on goal and didn't insist on Fraser playing so much.

Tommy Albelin: not really sure exactly what his role was. It was to work with the D before Stevens came back. I'm not informed enough on what he did or didn't do to give him a grade.

Terreri: Not sure what to give him exactly. We didn't get shutout or only score one goal on blimp goalies like every year before this, so I suppose that speaks well on him. We also did better in the shootouts and maybe he was scouting the opposing goaltenders better? He gets a passing grade for sure.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Legit Top Six Forwards

Cammalleri - A - Did his job and will be an important piece going forward

Henrique - B- For the most part he was his normal terrific all-around self. Could use more consistant production, but not downgrading for that.

Everyone Else

Scott Gomez - A- Not only the most skilled forward on the team, but a leader, too. He needs to be back but not in the top six.

Jordan Tootoo - A- Brought lots of things the team needed - like speed and grit and added production to boot.

Steve Bernier - A- Played his way back into the NHL

Jacob Josefson - C Showed flashes of something beyond just being a responsible 2-way player but still didn't produce.

Stephen Gionta - C- A borderline NHL player who sets a good example with how hard he plays.

Tuomo Ruutu D Maybe he can still grab a spot on some team's roster, but the Devils' bottom six is too crowded for him.

Patrik Elias - D Not only didn't he put up points, but his overall game slipped to the point where it was sad to watch at times. You can't play forever.

Travis Zajac - D He can't continue to play like he did this season or the Devils are in big trouble. He NEEDS to be a top 6 center and he better dedicate his offseason to being one.

Dainus Zubrus - D- No business being on an NHL roster. Hope he sticks around and continues to pick the locker room music.

Martin Havlat - D- Not all last-minute hail-mary signings work out.

Michael Ryder - F It takes a special kind of guy to be the worst player in this group, but here we are.

Ryane Clowe - N/A - Please retire.

Defense

Andy Greene B- Steady Eddie and not a problem going forward, but understandably not his best season.

Adam Larsson B- Made great progress and made a lot of folks breathe a sigh of relief. Still, the Devils' only top-of-the-draft pick and needs to be an All-Star level player, which he is not yet.

Damon Severson B- That grade is only going up. What an asset this guy is.

Jon Merrill C- Yeah, he wasn't spectacular, but he played a lot of hockey and that will help him. Still a great prospect.

Eric Gelinas C- A huge weapon and still young enough to develop into something special.

Peter Harrold D Scored one of the best goals of the season -- as a forward.

Seth Helgeson N/A - See you next year!

Mark Fraser - N/A - Seems like a nice guy.

Bryce Salvador - MIA - I think he was on that Dragon Rocket they launched into space.

Goalies

Cory Schneider - A- The minus is on DeBoer for inexplicably starting him for the first 20 games of the season. The team's undisputed best player, best asset and rock solid foundation for the future.

Keith Kinkaid - K - As in he is A-OK. Perfect backup. Cheap, motivated and reliable. Hopefully we never find out if he can carry the load.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2