Player Numbers

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I personally would love to see Gilmour passing the torch on to Marner. I would be fine if it was in his 2nd full season - I think it would be a great idea, rather than not wearing it because of past players...embrace it, and make it legit - like when others have passed on iconic numbers.

I am kinda sticky with players being told what to wear, or to stay away from. Not that it matters, but it's an annoying premise.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I've said this before and I'll repeat myself

Komorov, Kadri and Soshnikov would be a dominate 3rd line, with all of them wearing jerseys in the 40's ( 47, 43, 41 ) I love their numbers and the connection.

As for the others; love Rielly with 44

Gardiner and his 51 is about as unique as he is.

Nylander and his stupid 39 is just horrible - I cant stand seeing that number on him and I hope he goes back to 88 or 92.

JVR, Stamkos and Nylander 21, 91, 92 - Looks great

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I personally would love to see Gilmour passing the torch on to Marner. I would be fine if it was in his 2nd full season - I think it would be a great idea, rather than not wearing it because of past players...embrace it, and make it legit - like when others have passed on iconic numbers.

I am kinda sticky with players being told what to wear, or to stay away from. Not that it matters, but it's an annoying premise.
I have a feeling that Shanahan will no longer allow certain numbers to be used again despite them not being retired. There has to be a reason why no players have numbers like 7, 13, 14, 17, 27 and 93.

FazeLeaf*

I thinh next year they will be able to choose their own numbers. A lot of rookies on a lot of teams are given a number their first year as a call up then get to choose when they make it full time. Gaudreau is and example as well as Bennett. My choice would be

Nylander - 62
Marner - 92 (So there is no fuss about him wearing 93)
Matthews - 94 (instead of 34)
Rielly - 44
Kadri - 43
Gardiner - 51

Dont really care what everyone else wears.

FazeLeaf*

Yeah it would be pretty cool for Marner to wear #93. He wears it because of Gilmour and from what I hear they play alike, so let him wear it. If Doug's fine with it that is.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Brown said he's wearing number 16.
The last Maple Leafs player to wear #16 was Nick Spaling. Before him it was Clarke MacArthur and Jamie Lundmark. While Darcy Tucker was very popular with the fans when we had that number, it's not like he did anything major with them where no one else should be allowed to wear it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When it comes to the #29 I know other players have worn it since Felix Potvin did, however am I the only one who thinks it's weird seeing on other Leafs players? Maybe its because growing up Potvin was the first player I remember with that number and etc.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
When it comes to the #29 I know other players have worn it since Felix Potvin did, however am I the only one who thinks it's weird seeing on other Leafs players? Maybe its because growing up Potvin was the first player I remember with that number and etc.

#29 has been weird this year.

Brennan wore it for his call up, and Valiev has it now.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
What are the chances Nylander stucks with # 39?

Btw did Mats Sundin always wear # 13 for Leafs? Even in his rookie season?

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm
#29 has been weird this year.

Brennan wore it for his call up, and Valiev has it now.

Brad Boyes also wore #29 at training camp because Glencross had #28. Then switched to #28 when that became available.
---
When Lou was the GM of the Devils the players that didn't have permanent spots on the team could get different numbers on different call-ups. Let's say player X got called up and wore #12, and then got sent down. When player Y then got called up and #12 was free he got to wear it. Pretty strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad