Player Numbers

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like Lou limits how high numbers players can have? May also be difficult for players to change numbers now that jerseys have been sold but...

Morgan Rielly was 4 in junior but now 44 with Leafs, I hate Kadris 43, Gardiners 51, Nylanders 39...

Thinking of next years roster what Jerseys number would you change our players to?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Lou had nothing to do with any of those numbers except Willy's.

I like 44 for Mo. Kinda indifferent to the others. I suspect they would be allowed to change if they wanted to once they are established NHL players

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I actually like 43 for Kadri, 51 for Gardiner and 44 for Rielly. Not that much 39 for Nylander.

I don't mind those either. It's the tight grouping on the ice that's annoying as heck. Spice it up! I want 24 to pass to 72 back to 91 and 44 to score!

It actually makes the game harder to follow. When 3-5 guys in the 40s range are on the ice at once, it can be trying when you consider clear views of full numbers are not always available. No wonder Romanuk has problems if he has bad eyes doubly so. I bet the guy curses the teams numbers.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I like them because they are linebacker numbers. Makes me think the team is bigger and tougher than it is

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I could never understand why they wouldn't let the player choose his own number. What's the problem with that? They worked hard and were good enough to get that far, let them pick their number.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I could never understand why they wouldn't let the player choose his own number. What's the problem with that? They worked hard and were good enough to get that far, let them pick their number.

Yep, never understood why Management or fans care what number a player wears.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I hate Nylanders 39. It just looks wrong. I liked his 62 when he was with the Marlies. Hopefully he can switch it back.

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
I wonder what they will do if they actually sign stamkos

take away his 91 and give him 35? lol

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Jake Gardiner was number 19 when he played for the University of Wisconsin, my guess is if he ever switches it'll be when Lupul leaves and he'll go back to 19

He also wore number 8 in the WJC, but my bet is on 19 if anything

As for Rielly, I don't believe anyone is occupying 4 at the moment so he's probably set with 44

And Nylander definitely will switch, He was 88 in allsvenskan (SWE-2) so that's a legitimate possibility.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Jake Gardiner was number 19 when he played for the University of Wisconsin, my guess is if he ever switches it'll be when Lupul leaves and he'll go back to 19

As for Rielly, I don't believe anyone is occupying 4 at the moment so he's probably set with 44

And Nylander definitely will switch, He was 88 in allsvenskan (SWE-2) so that's a legitimate possibility.
Gardiner also had #19 when he played with the Marlies.

The last Maple Leaf to wear #4 was Cody Franson and no one has taken it since he was traded. So it would be interesting to see if Rielly eventually switches to it.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Really hope Nylander switches. His favourite number is 92 like his dad.

Pretty sure that's why they gave him 62 on the marlies. (It was chosen for him and actually looks good)

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I actually like 43 for Kadri, 51 for Gardiner and 44 for Rielly. Not that much 39 for Nylander.

How much of it is that you grew use to them?

I.e. only reason why you hate Willy's is because you've seen him play 9 games in it.

Blainer14

Mar 15, 2016
Toronto, ON
id wear whatever number i want and grow out a beard too if i wanted since they have that stupid rule too, if said i couldnt id tell them to trade me i rather play for an organization that cares more about winning than trivial issues

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I like all the players current numbers...because it doesn't matter.

The weirder the better.

It doesn't matter to the organization, the fans, the sales, I agree.

But it might matter to the player. I know I like to get my number or at least a good number. I don't know if it's a confidence thing or superstitious. They shouldn't just throw a crap number at these guys even if it may be the slightest disadvantage.

Matthews - 34
Nylander - 39
Marner - 36
Leivo - 32
Kapanen - 37

Marner already had 84 for training camp. Wonder if they keep that for him. Maybe Grabo's old jersey they found laying around the dressing room :dunno:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
id wear whatever number i want and grow out a beard too if i wanted since they have that stupid rule too, if said i couldnt id tell them to trade me i rather play for an organization that cares more about winning than trivial issues

solid Team player, you'd be in high demand.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
if my memory servers me correctly its almost a tradition when this happens now, pretty sure bozak gards and a bunch of others had different numbers when they first got the call up, then switched once they made the team permanently

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
what id like to see, kap sosh and marner in the 90s tho id like anyone of our blue chippers to take 89,all I have is good memories of almo while he played for us

nitro/nylander and Johnson in the 60/70s unless nylander honors his father by wearing 92

defense all under 44

goalies I believe should have a odd # to many legends that some should be retired. 30/31/33/35/37 and 01 should all be off limits, besides for exceptional status(legends ect)
first off I am just saying to make those off limit for goaltenders primarily

Last edited:

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
it probably works pretty good for camouflage tho, we ***** about it non stop on the forums on high def tvs panned out, theyre watching it at game speed. a lot of the times you cant tell who is who the way the numbers are set up. im not saying its a a lot of time but a moment or 2 each shift is still something

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
it probably works pretty good for camouflage tho, we ***** about it non stop on the forums on high def tvs panned out, theyre watching it at game speed. a lot of the times you cant tell who is who the way the numbers are set up. im not saying its a a lot of time but a moment or 2 each shift is still something

It does do that, it may trick an opposing coach once in a while. I do get that but tbh it's such a low % thing I don't think it matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad