Post-Game Talk: Player Impact Tracker

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So there's a project someone started over on the Caps board that I ran with and I'd like to see if we want to do something similar over here.

Player Impact Tracker: For every goal for and against, list the Avs you think contributed to that goal. Contributing to a goal for gets a +, contributing to a goal against gets a -. After every game, post your list in this thread.

Example: Game ends 2-1 Avs.
Avs Goal 1 (Duchene from Johnson): EJ makes a great outlet pass to Duchene who takes it in and scores. +1 EJ, +1 Duchene
Avs Goal 2 (Downie unassisted): McGinn lays a hit in the offensive zone, causing the puck to be turned over to Downie, who scores. +1 McGinn, +1 Downie
Opp Goal 1: McGinn turns it over in the neutral zone, resulting in a 3 on 2. Elliott steps up to the puck carrier too soon and gets walked around, resulting in a 2 on 1 low. Varlamov cheats to the pass and gets beat short side. -1 McGinn, -1 Elliott, -1 Varlamov
Totals: EJ +1, Duchene +1, Downie +1, McGinn 0, Elliott -1, Varlamov -1

I track this for each poster on a per game basis and generate cumulative results using a spreadsheet.

Any interest?

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
I like this idea, seems fun. One idea to add a little more flexibility could be to be able to add or take off more than one point in a goal. Like O'Rielly's goal first game he could get +2 or +3 because he single handedly created the goal from scratch. Having a bigger minus for a huge mistake in the defensive end could work too. And we could also use this to add points for non-goal items too, like a goal-saving defensive play or bad penalty.

I see two glaring problems with this though. #1, it seems to me like a glorified +/- statistic, and we already acknowledge the problems with that one. #2, the goalie's and (to a lesser degree) the Dmen points will almost certainly be very very negative.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I like this idea, seems fun. One idea to add a little more flexibility could be to be able to add or take off more than one point in a goal. Like O'Rielly's goal first game he could get +2 or +3 because he single handedly created the goal from scratch. Having a bigger minus for a huge mistake in the defensive end could work too. And we could also use this to add points for non-goal items too, like a goal-saving defensive play or bad penalty.

I see two glaring problems with this though. #1, it seems to me like a glorified +/- statistic, and we already acknowledge the problems with that one. #2, the goalie's and (to a lesser degree) the Dmen points will almost certainly be very very negative.

I would say in the situation for ROR it would be a +1 for causing a turnover and a +1 for scoring the goal. At least that is how I would understand it.

The difference from a +/- would be that you have to contribute to the play rather than just being on the ice.

My suggestion would also to use it to account for terrible defensive plays. Like Hejda's fumbled puck that caused Stastny to take a penalty. -1 for Hejda in that situation. Also with that a -1 for bad penalties like delay of game, needless hooking/tripping/roughing etc. Good penalties like hooking to prevent a breakaway shouldn't be counted, nor should dives by the other team.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
You can interpret it however you want to, and yes, it's meant to be a slightly improved version of +/-. Because you assign the +s and -s, it should be a pretty good indicator of who you think has had the most positive and negative impact.

Goalies are going to be tough, guess it's just "the closer to 0 the better".

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Good luck! That's going to be a ton of work. Really interested to see if you get good data. Most of the time two posters can't agree, let alone 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad