Player fan vs. Team fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't ever remember life without the Caps. The Ovie era has been a lot like what came before, but even more extreme. Higher highs, lower lows. But in the end, it's just because I have hope or despair about Your Washington Capitals.

The other item not listed in the thread/poll is Hockey Fan. I am that too. Best game in the world and I love to watch any teams play it well.

Liberati0n*

I lived in D.C. when I was a little kid. I only ever went to one game and didn't get into it when I was there. Later I played NHL Breakaway 98 on N64 all the time and used the Capitals. I used to dominate with Bondra so he became my favorite player. I probably liked him as much as the team at first. It's the team for me and obviously for most people, but it wouldn't be any more arbitrary for it to be a player or players for someone.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I had a mild apathy towards most of the DC teams growing up in Virginia, but I always was a fan of Konowalchuk and Bondra. Once I moved to Philly, I came to truly appreciate the DC teams and hate the Philadelphia teams.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I thought about it for awhile and to me...people might start off player fans but if you stick with the team long enough you'd think they'd become team fans. With Hockey, for me, it was Kolzig and football was Stephen Davis. They got me into Washington sports and I haven't ever looked back.

I think my only problem with the Capitals now a days is I think they've got so much damn talent and I expect so much of them yet I'm always disappointed. I have no expectations for the Wizards and am always pleasantly surprised when they win.

rumschlag182

Jun 3, 2012
Indiana
I started following the Capitals because of Ovechkin. I'm from Indiana and use to like the Blackhawks as a kid but never really watched games because in Indiana you didn't really see hockey covered at all. I started seeing Ovechkin highlights on ESPN all the time and would drive 40 minutes to a bigger town just to watch Capitals games at the bar. I want Ovi to win a cup no matter where he is. I hope its with the Capitals and after being invested in this team for years now I don't think I could ever really be a fan of another team. Once you start following players since they get drafted and so on you start getting new favorite players on the team. I am excited for the Blue Jackets to make the playoffs because I have never been to a playoff game and now I can go to one. I hate the Red Wings so I would never go there unless it was to see the Caps play.

CapsFanDownUnder

Dec 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
Relatively new Caps fan here from Aus, as you'd expect there's not a lot of coverage of any hockey. Followed hockey for about 2 and a half years after my mate showed me a video of some gun Russian scoring a goal while scraping his knob across the ice. From then on it's been the caps all the way!! Backy for president I say!

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I became a fan of the Capitals with a preference for Braden Holtby and I still favor Holtby, but I love the Caps. If he (or Ovechkin) were to move to another team, I'd follow those teams as well, but I wouldn't stop following the Capitals because I'm a Caps fan. I love my Caps. Now if either of them were on another team and that team was playing against the Caps--I'd probably root for Ovi to do really well, but for the Caps to win, but if it was Holts in net? I'd probably root for the other team to win because of Holtby in net, but I don't know because that feels so wrong. Maybe he could just pull a Halak and play back-up for every game opposite the Caps? Best case scenario, Holtby and Ovi just stays with Caps and I am never faced with either dilemma. :)

Last edited:

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I'm a serious team fan. Wouldn't cheer for any other team, the Caps are a rival to Pittsburgh and the Philadelphia bullies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad