Player fan vs. Team fan

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
I'm a Caps fan now, but I came to the Caps as an Ovie fan first. I want Ovie to succeed, naturally. But I want the Caps to succeed too. I want the cup for the Caps and for Ovie. I worry that Ovie will be like Iglina some day, chasing a cup because his first team couldn't pull it together. I'd cheer for Ovie if that happens, just as Calgary fans are cheering for Iggy no matter where he goes. But argh, I don't want that for Ovie. I want him to win the Cup as a Capital!

I've seen talk of team fans vs. player fans. Is it necessarily a bad thing if you prefer the player to the team? I've often wondered what I'd do if Ovie was traded. I've come to the conclusion that I'd still root for the Caps, always! But Ovechkin brought me to hockey as a fan, and if he does move I'll be his fan wherever he goes.

In any case, I believe any fan--whether it be for team or player--is good for hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
As I've gotten older, I have drifted more toward watching games for players more so than teams. But for the most part still a Caps/Stars fan.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
puddydevils.png

Gotta support the team.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
Players come and go, teams stay.*

I grew up in NoVa, was introduced to hockey by watching the caps, parents had season tickets for a few years in the 80s and i played for the little caps. I'll always be a caps fan. Lots of memories there.

Ovi is great. It's amazing what has happened to the team/city since he's arrived. But he'll be gone some day and they'll be new players to root for.

* Generally. heh.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
capitals fan. I loved bruce. I have not watched one ducks game other than v the caps. if ov was traded, I would not care one way or the other about him.

I hate skinner. I suppose that if he ended up a cap, I would find a way to cheer for him.

edit: if you watch for the specific player without regard to the team, then you really don't care who wins. Since, "you play to win the game", I would see no value in watching a game where the outcome didn't matter to me. wasted time.

gretzky was great, but when his team played the caps, I wanted him shutdown with no highlights. I was not watching the game to see him play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Team first, players second. Name on the front etc etc RIP Herb

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well nobody's voting "player" and I doubt anyone would actually admit it anyway. But I do think there are a lot of people who put their favorite players ahead of the team. That goes for any team, any message board, any sport.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Well nobody's voting "player" and I doubt anyone would actually admit it anyway. But I do think there are a lot of people who put their favorite players ahead of the team. That goes for any team, any message board, any sport.

I can't even have a second team I root for, in any sport, so I would have a tough time rooting for any other team. With that said, if Ovi was traded, it would be difficult to root for the Caps in the short term.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I can't even have a second team I root for, in any sport, so I would have a tough time rooting for any other team. With that said, if Ovi was traded, it would be difficult to root for the Caps in the short term.

If Ovechkin was traded on draft day I would probably howl at the moon with criticisms of the people who got us to that point, but I would not be any less of a Caps fan. I was a fan before Ovechkin, before Ted, before GMGM, before the Cup Finals run, before Rock the Red or any of that. Many of us were, and we've all seen our favorite players traded, retire, or move on. That's pro sports.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
If you become a fan because of a particular player and stay after he leaves, that's cool. However, I know a lot of ppl that follow a player from team to team. That's pretty wack

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Gloves asked me to vote player for him. No wonder Miller and Varly requested trades lol.

And he gave me a used dirty scratched DVD for my efforts.

“My toys are all sticky.”

--Ralph Wiggum

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Team fan of course. One admires the individual players but once you have followed a team from when a prospect is drafted to when they retire its just the cycle of life with team sports.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Team first, but if Ovi went to another team that I can tolerate (there are very few) I would want him to succeed and probably get a jersey/t-shirt

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
Sorry to crash your poll, but I voted player. I was a huge Kolzig fan, and enjoyed watching Bondra and Gonchar as well. Caps are still my favorite Eastern Conf team. Right now, I would love to have Joel Ward on the Blues team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Semin is gone, I am still cheering for this team for some reason.

Same here. I was extremely bitter when he left. I started following the Canes last year because of that.

I still care about Ovi, Nicky, MoJo and Kuzya though. If the Caps were to win the Cup, I'd be really happy. After all, it's my second favorite team. I'm a Habs fan naturally, because it's my home town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad