Player Discussion: Tyler Ennis

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
After a bit of a rough start to the year, Tyler Ennis has settled in and has a been a big reason, if not the reason, why our 4th line has been so effective.

Just an extremely efficient player. Little ice time, low QOT, but great efficiency against other teams bottom 6 players.

For a bottom 6 player, you can't ask much more from him. I'd wager he meant be a cheap depth guy we want to keep around next season, even if he's not playing every game

vwGYh0g.png

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You should just expand this to a 4th line thread. Leivo has been great as well. Goat is holding them back for his lack of creativity which is most important to having productive wings.

Eh, Leivo already has a thread, so didn't want to do that.

I'm excited to see Ennis-Lindholm-Leivo though

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I wasn't a fan at first, but he's been playing well for a while now. A nice, cheap addition to the team and apparently well-liked by teammates. Good signing!

Reactions: dsred

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Eh, Leivo already has a thread, so didn't want to do that.

I'm excited to see Ennis-Lindholm-Leivo though

Sooner the better. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing us pick up a C either if a legit L3C came available for a song and dance. Lindy hasn't been much more of a driver to me vs. Goat. Better but still.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I've thought his skill and drive have been evident since pre-season, but it's been nice to see him start to get rewarded. For such a small guy, he fights for every puck, which is always great to see.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I've been really happy with Ennis this year, he's been a pleasant surprise after struggling with tough usage early on. I just don't see a spot for him when Matthews and Nylander (assuming he signs) come back. Him and Leivo are both auditioning right now to claim that last spot on the 4th line.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
I think he has been one of the most energetic players on the team during the current week so far. In fact, we might not have gained two points if not for him against the Jackets on Monday. Unfortunately Tyler might be the leading candidate to sit, together with GOAT, when/if Matthews and Nylander come back in December.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
He’s definitely been a pleasant surprise. I love the effort he puts in. He and Leivo were consistently putting pressure on McElhinney in Carolina and at times seemed like our most effective line.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I've thought his skill and drive have been evident since pre-season, but it's been nice to see him start to get rewarded. For such a small guy, he fights for every puck, which is always great to see.

I can't remember but I think @HamiltonNHL put a chart up that suggests Goat and Brown were both dragging their lines down. Leivo and Ennis were performing @ about 3rd line level while Brown and Goat @ L4.

Reactions: ToneDog

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
small, speedy, has a good shot and makes intelligent plays with the puck in the offensive zone. he's a poor man's Marner.

(very poor man's) but there are similarities there to his play making. He's just simply not as good as Marner.

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He didn't do well when he was in Nylander's spot on line 1. But aside from that early struggle he's done really well.

And no one should be surprised that he couldn't do the job of an 8 million dollar man.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
He's such an interesting case to study. It's very clear on the ice his hockey IQ exceeds what his body is able to produce for him. His stick handling ability is pretty sick as is his elusiveness. He has just never been able to develop that shot to an elite level and his size results in his butt on the ice far too much. Early on he never focused on so much on the defensive side either, but definitely he has improved immensely in that regard since being forced between that or never playing in the NHL again.

I really like the energy he brings, and he does indeed add a legitimate threat to other teams if they dont pay attention. I'm happy he's here and root for him every game because he's a definite underdog. I hope he isnt the odd man out once Nylander and Matthews return, I would much rather see Gauthier move on, he brings so little.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I can't remember but I think @HamiltonNHL put a chart up that suggests Goat and Brown were both dragging their lines down. Leivo and Ennis were performing @ about 3rd line level while Brown and Goat @ L4.
Brown has been getting insane ususge though. He has an Defensive zone start percentage of 67.3% at ES which is crazy but still posted a positive relative corsi until like last game (he is now at a -0.1).

That is crazy tough usage considering Tavares line has seen around 45% defensive zone and the Kadri line at around 55%. 4th line is around 62% defensive starts and are negative relative corsi by a lot for the most part (Leivo the exception)

I think we will see Kap drop down to the 3rd line with Naz and Brown once Mathews and Nylander return with a 4th line of Leivo,Lindholm and AJ.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wonder if Aaltonen regrets heading back to the KHL, he likely would have already played 25 games on our 4th line. Sure hindsight is 20/20... but I think he'd have been a better compliment to the 4th line over Gauthier. I'm a big fan of Gauthier, especially his size and defensive acumen. however he is quite the hole offensively.

Aaltonen btw is having an exceptional KHL season thus far.

Would really have liked to see him on the team this season...unfortunate.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Not an advanced stats guy, don’t have the time in my life to do it, so all I have is the eye test.

Was hating him first ten games give or take, has turned around my opinion. Optimistic he’s getting he old game back.. he does that and he can hang out on the 3 or 4 line no problem. Good for him, you gotta love a reclamation that works. Do it Tyler

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I've not been a fan of using him on the 4th line, but it seems to be working of late. I'd be looking at trading him in a package with Zat's to a team that's up against the cap and needs help on both D and the wing, nudge nudge Edmonton..................

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I've not been a fan of using him on the 4th line, but it seems to be working of late. I'd be looking at trading him in a package with Zat's to a team that's up against the cap and needs help on both D and the wing, nudge nudge Edmonton..................

For??

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think hes a skilled 3rd / 4th line linemate away from becoming a decent scoring line when top lines are stifled.

He needs to be vs the bottom lines, but has the vision and IQ of a top liner as some posters have mentioned. The talent and his size dont quite land him on top 6. Not on this team anyway.

Pair him with Kadri ( when good ) , and add another winger with some skill and he will come along nicely.

He won us the CBJ game. He woke up our team when most of our top players were asleep.

He is doing alot better than Kadri the last few games in providing chances and energy to our team.

#63 !!

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
That line has for sure had a positive impact these past few games.

Just wish Gauthier had an ounce of finish quality to him. He had two huge opportunities last night that at the point in time probably would have changed the complexion of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00