Player Discussion: Steen

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Pay him what Backes wants. 6X6 AAV. Front-load it, too.

Get it done.

Yeah I don't know about six years. That pushes Steen to 39 and he usually misses 10-20 games a year due to injury. Backes would be 38 at the end of that deal(still a mistake) but has missed a whopping 13 games since 08-09. As much as people try and use the well Backes is going to decline because of the style he plays he's been far more durable than Steen over their careers and I would be more worried about Steen on a contract like that.

Ideally finding a way to keep them both for 3-4 years and go year to year after that would be the best.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I don't know about six years. That pushes Steen to 39 and he usually misses 10-20 games a year due to injury. Backes would be 38 at the end of that deal(still a mistake) but has missed a whopping 13 games since 08-09. As much as people try and use the well Backes is going to decline because of the style he plays he's been far more durable than Steen over their careers and I would be more worried about Steen on a contract like that.

Ideally finding a way to keep them both for 3-4 years and go year to year after that would be the best.
When I talk about a player declining I'm not talking about missing games. That's great if Backes stays in the lineup but his play on the ice is going to go down hill far quicker than Steen's. Steen has actually improved with age. He basically broke out again at the age of 29.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
When I talk about a player declining I'm not talking about missing games. That's great if Backes stays in the lineup but his play on the ice is going to go down hill far quicker than Steen's. Steen has actually improved with age. He basically broke out again at the age of 29.

Ahh yes Steen is going to decline much slower because you said so. Gotcha

Edit: It doesn't matter when Steen broke out, just like Backes when his legs are gone or their bells get rung too many times they are done.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Ahh yes Steen is going to decline much slower because you said so. Gotcha

Edit: It doesn't matter when Steen broke out, just like Backes when his legs are gone or their bells get rung too many times they are done.
Go ahead and ignore facts, hasn't stopped you before.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Steen is an excellent two-way player. For a guy who doesn't fight with his fists, he is a pretty feisty player.

I worry about his concussion history. I worry that if he gets hot again as a goal scorer, he will be targeted by opponents with big hits and will be concussed again.

How long can he last as a player? No one knows the answer to that one. All you can do is go with the law of averages, but there are guys playing at a high level in their late thirties in this league.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And what facts are those exactly?
Powerforwards go down hill a lot quicker. Steen plays a hard game but he doesn't beat up his body as much as Backes, and he has improved from where he was 4 years ago. Backes has not. But I'm sure you'll have some excuse as to how this isn't true.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
Powerforwards go down hill a lot quicker. Steen plays a hard game but he doesn't beat up his body as much as Backes, and he has improved from where he was 4 years ago. Backes has not. But I'm sure you'll have some excuse as to how this isn't true.

Right I am the one making excuses by trying to justify giving out a long term contract to a good but non elite player well past their 35th birthday. It's a mistake to commit to either one of them past that point. Go back to crying about Oshie some more.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Right I am the one making excuses by trying to justify giving out a long term contract to a good but non elite player well past their 35th birthday. It's a mistake to commit to either one of them past that point. Go back to crying about Oshie some more.
I have never said to give him a long term contract nor do I spend my time crying about Oshie so I expected a better retort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad