Player Discussion: Guillaume "Gilliam" Brisebois - 2015, 66th Overall

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Don't know anything about this player but i'm sure he won't play anytime for us in the next 4 years

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Novak was also available. Some positives with this kid. If there's one area I do have faith in Benning with it's the draft. Also annoyed that STL got Vince Dunn in the late 2nd....would have been happy with him for Lack.

Hard to say that since I'm still upset over the trade.

Eddie Lack got less than Linden Vey.

Anyways, no point holding any of this against this kid.

Congrats on being drafted and let's hope the trajectory is strong. He seems to be smart which is so important.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Fine with the pick, a team cpt at 17, strong on his feet but like a lot of 18 year olds lot of filling-out to do. What I'm still miffed at is you likely turn down a better offer, better picks because it came from Edm. If you don't see the writing on the wall - McDavid alone certainly means you've been turnstiled by them, factoring that 33-34 year old core and shallow net minding pool- you have no reason to put your rebuilding faith in the draft. If the draft is your future, you need to maximize that, not play provincial or territorial games. Lack would likely been a 1 year piece to the Oilers, then you still had those assets. Ridiculous.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Very solid pick, had him ranked around the 45-50 range. Good hockey sense, nice size but he's skinny(very young so he can fill out). Not a flashy player that will wow you with a big hit or flashy play, but he's just very solid and has good skill.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We have a thread for then Lack discussion, folks. Please keep it there.

As for Brisebois; we seemed to get him below where he was expected to go. He's been on the U17 and U18 teams, the QMJHL All Stars for the Summit Series vs Russia, and the Ivan Hlinka. Captain of his junior team at 17 to boot. All nice feathers in his cap, look forward to seeing more of him.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Not a terrible pick, but much like our last pick there were a bunch of guys I would have taken ahead of Brisebois.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
TSN had him at #48 ...

PROJECTION: NO. 4-5 DEFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN
Very fluid skating marks his game. His quickness and mobility allow him to defend very well and to beat the pressures that opponents are trying to apply. Smart, reads the play well and makes very solid plays with the puck. He’s not going to overwhelm you with great skill or physical play but he has excellent consistency, reliability and efficiency.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
TSN had him at #48 ...

PROJECTION: NO. 4-5 DEFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN
Very fluid skating marks his game. His quickness and mobility allow him to defend very well and to beat the pressures that opponents are trying to apply. Smart, reads the play well and makes very solid plays with the puck. He’s not going to overwhelm you with great skill or physical play but he has excellent consistency, reliability and efficiency.

Sounds like Tanev

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Playing on the bottom feeder team in the Q.

Sounds like he really didn't get any help at all. I like that what i've read so far points to a smart player. Let's hope he can shake the bottom pairing potential and maybe get a trade next season.

Here is a blurb from HP:
Brisebois gets
offensively involved, but also stays defensively responsible; he sets up the Titan power play by carrying the
puck and setting up in zone. He moves the puck quickly and efficiently. His quick decision-making and skills
allow him to be involved offensively, and he keeps his team on offense, as he does not turn the puck over.
He does a good job using his size to protect the puck and to win battles. When the forwards are rushing
the puck, he does a good job joining the rush, creating another offensive threat and confusion for his
opponents’ backcheck. He could use a little more strength and size, as he is sometimes outmatched
physically in the defensive end. However, other times he shows the work ethic and ability to beat
opponents and separate them from the puck. By playing on the worst team in the league, Brisebois didn’t
get as much help as other prospects had this year, finding himself exposed at times. He’s a capable point
producer from the back end, but with an offensively challenged team, it was hard to produce as many
points as others. We do love his poise with the puck and his skating abilities, as he has a good burst and
good lateral agility.
Brisebois is a safe bet, good all-around defenseman with some untapped potential. He has a chance to
play in a top-4 role in the NHL due to his smarts and mobility, but safe bet would be as a bottom pairing.

arsmaster, he's has that early b-day you like! :nod:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I like his scouting report, he has good gap control and is a good skater. If he can put on some muscle and get stronger I think he will push for a spot in 4-5 years time.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm doing everything possible to not think of Brisebois as "the kid we traded Lack for", but it's tough. Our Q scouts haven't gotten us much lately, so I can't think Brisebois was targeted specifically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad