Player Discussion: Downie - positive or negative? And how about in the playoffs ?

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I go back and forthwith this, and his snapping at the worst possible moment last night makes me fear for the playoffs.
Opposing teams can goad him into idiocy with zero repercussions. The refs have made that abundantly clear. It's what it is.

I love the guy and think he's the embodiment of what the Pens have lacked last couple years under Bylsma, but he terrifies me in a playoff environment....

Thoughts???

Fordy

May 28, 2008
huge positive. down 5-3 in the regular season with not even 3 minutes left, idk if that's the worst time ever to snap. i like it more than whatever it is adams and sill and kunitz do when the going gets rough

ThatGuy

Dec 21, 2006
i think the pens were only down by 1 when downie took his penalty, which makes it a bit sour. but still, definitely a huge positive overall

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah it was 4-3 before he took that penalty...we still had a chance to tie it up with the extra attacker in a bit...not to mention that the refs had to know they owed us one for that missed slash on Downie.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Insane positive with 1 or 2 "moments" we came to expect.

However it ultimately comes down to postseason time. Same as Flower. Same as Sid/Geno. Same as the team make-up. It always comes down to playoff performances now.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
He's more of a pest than anything, but he's actually a good hockey player too. He'll be great in the playoffs. He's pretty much a poor man's Marchand except Downie is legitimately crazy.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Seriously though what's his PIM like 140+?
Is anybody even close to that? And I know a lot of those minutes are for Being Downie. But man in the playoffs we cannot afford that.
I wonder if he can keep a leash on it.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Johnston talked about him in his interview from today (from 1:20):

[nhl]728793&catid=829[/nhl]

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He's been good. He just need to make sure he doesn't snap in the playoffs. He has that Matt Cooke reputation where even routine plays that occur dozens of times a game result in calls against him, it's tough to play under those conditions (even if he has brought them on himself over the years).

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Johnston talked about him in his interview from today (from 1:20):

[nhl]728793&catid=829[/nhl]

good news for Sill's vast fan support base to quote MJ "That's where we will play him (between 8 and 12 minutes)"

and yes big Yes Positive for Downie, Tochet will take care of his antics in PO, and keep him on this side of lunacy

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
It doesn't make it right to take that penalty, but given how nobody stepped up against the Wild after he was knocked out, I'm a little less miffed about what happened last night. It was definitely in my opinion the worst penalty he's taken as a Penguin. I don't know if there was a connection between the two incidents, I hope not, but I could understand if Downie is ticked off and had a moment where he just said **** it, I'm getting my revenge. I'd say his teammates let him down that night against Minny, and he did the same to them against the Isles. Call it even and hopefully everyone moves on.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
DK had an interesting piece on him and the pens penalty situation in general. He has a point.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yeah no doubt the refs have their Downie Radar on. Good piece by DK and indont often say that.
But jeebus 140 PIM?
That's crazy. He better be able to keep a lid on it. Other teams know they can abuse him w no repercussions, except the positive, he finally snaps and they get their PP.
I've only seen this kind of bias in my beer leagues. It's embarrassing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He does a lot of great things that are quickly negated by the bias the refs have towards him and guys like him, he never gets the benefit of the doubt when someone impedes him with a penalty that would normally be called but being a Penguin means the refs turn a blind eye towards them.

I think Downie would be fine, can anyone provide any examples of Downie in the playoffs costing his team?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Insane positive with 1 or 2 "moments" we came to expect.

However it ultimately comes down to postseason time. Same as Flower. Same as Sid/Geno. Same as the team make-up. It always comes down to playoff performances now.

Yes, he brings much more good than bad. Which is why I see fans of other teams he played for regretting that he was gone.

Last night, he had good cause to be angry. And it is not one incident, the refs have bent us over all year, and Downie especially. It about time someone showed them the broken stick and told them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. This turn the other cheek crap all year has not worked.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As I said earlier... I think the idea of bringing Downie in hasn't aligned with the reality of what he has done. There are still rampant liberties being taken by the other team and while Downie draws penalties at times, they almost always come with an even up call against him (even if it is often fabricated).

his absurd amount of penalty time is an issue and frankly, at this point I want him off the team. Farham is a fraction of the offensive talent Downie is, but actually is a net "plus" in the penalty department.

I mean his penalties taken per 60 minutes is 2.4... penalties drawn is .6... that is horrendous...

LionelHutz*

Positive, It's nice to finally have a guy that's legitimately tough to play against and the other teams hates agaisn rather then the Gladams,Gibbons,D'Agostini,Chunk Kobasuck, Pyatt,And every other useless twit that revolved on the 3rd/4th lines the past few years. I'd take 6 Downie's on the 3rd and 4th over those bozos again.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
As I said earlier... I think the idea of bringing Downie in hasn't aligned with the reality of what he has done. There are still rampant liberties being taken by the other team and while Downie draws penalties at times, they almost always come with an even up call against him (even if it is often fabricated).

his absurd amount of penalty time is an issue and frankly, at this point I want him off the team. Farham is a fraction of the offensive talent Downie is, but actually is a net "plus" in the penalty department.

I mean his penalties taken per 60 minutes is 2.4... penalties drawn is .6... that is horrendous...

So what you are saying is drawing penalties is a more important skill then scoring goals in hockey? Fascinating.

Downie is the single most persecuted athlete I have seen in any sport. He leads the league in penalty minutes by a mile and I can name about 50 players who do more dirty stuff then him. Yes, he is chippy and gets under people's skin. Yes, he has a well deserved reputation. Even so, for some reason it seems the officials are looking for excuses to ring him up and become suspiciously blind when things are being done to him.

It's ridiculous. DK in his article says none of the 4 officials saw Suter's elbow. Are you kidding me? 4 officials failed to see a blatant elbow on a player who just had the puck. Can somebody tell me what the officials could have possibly been looking at to have missed such an obvious penalty?

JR or Mario needs to bring this to the attention of the league. The problem is the officials and their bias, not Downie.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Positive, It's nice to finally have a guy that's legitimately tough to play against and the other teams hates agaisn rather then the Gladams,Gibbons,D'Agostini,Chunk Kobasuck, Pyatt,And every other useless twit that revolved on the 3rd/4th lines the past few years. I'd take 6 Downie's on the 3rd and 4th over those bozos again.

Aaaargh no! The crazy factor would become exponential!

Love the guy's drive but... Gasp!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
One of the points I noted was the refs won't even come to the bench when the coaches request it, which is a normal courtesy. That speaks to a team bias beyond just Downie which is obvious.

Http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/01/16/friday-insider-refs-really-hate-penguins/

IF that is happening on a regular basis, the team has to reach out to the refs boss and get that sorted out, because that should never be happening in any major pro sports league. It's such absurd and pathetic behavior from the refs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
huge positive. down 5-3 in the regular season with not even 3 minutes left, idk if that's the worst time ever to snap. i like it more than whatever it is adams and sill and kunitz do when the going gets rough

I assume you mean NOTHING here, because one has to show a pulse to do something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad