Player Discussion Player Discussion Boo Nieves

Are you positive about Boo Nieves future to achieve and compete in NHL this 2017/18 season?

• Yes

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It feels bad to use a 2 pts. NHL player who is 29 years old with 32 NHL games instead of Boo Nieves.
I woke up in a good mood too.. Brief, it`s questionable decisions by AV since he is the main coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
NHL data is viable source - the TOI arguement compare to other 4th line players who get similar ice time - just weak arguement. I don`t understand what you guys see in P. Carey. Did other NHL teams turn their back on him in Caps & Avalanche years ago? No, they saw that P. Carey stunk and moved his contract to open up another contract spot.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It was oddly worded no doubts about that. I just wish that Boo Nieves could have a breakthrough season this year in NHL, but he kind of slept through the training camp unfortunately.
One thing though this topic is about Boo Nieves and not me. I`ll cheer for Paul C. tomorrow even though I felt it was not an ideal signing for us. But I hope Paul proves me wrong tomorrow night and get a good start in NHL.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
It was oddly worded no doubts about that. I just wish that Boo Nieves could have a breakthrough season this year in NHL, but he kind of slept through the training camp unfortunately.
One thing though this topic is about Boo Nieves and not me. I`ll cheer for Paul C. tomorrow even though I felt it was not an ideal signing for us. But I hope Paul proves me wrong tomorrow night and get a good start in NHL.

Carey is #12. When Fast returns, he'll be #13. It's not as though the Rangers handed Carey the keys to the City.

Injuries will occur throughout the season. As long as he plays deservingly, Boo has a good shot at a call-up. I wouldn't fret.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

This wasn't an attempt to call you out.

I just don't understand what you're asking.

If the question is: will he be successful in the NHL this season? Probably not.

If the question is: will he be successful in the NHL at some point in his career for the Rangers? Possibly. There are tools there. I think he needs to figure out how he will be most effective as a pro. His offensive numbers in college were hardly gaudy. He needs to find away to use his skill the be a difference maker to add value (forecheck, back check, PK, corner work). Maybe he becomes a shut-down center..(a modern day Jan Erixon).

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah a good point, @Revel - it`s not a big cap hit based on Paul C. contract and salary, and hopefully he add something like depth for us.

@SingnBluesOnBroadway no worries, it`s fine. I thought about this season concerning B. Nieves. I wish Boo had a more successful training camp earlier. But there are some fans who believe Boo Nieves will get a breakthrough season next year in NHL in 2018-19 season.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nieves couldn't earn a spot over Paul Carey. That's all you need to know. Carey is an elite AHL player but a marginal at best NHL 4th liner. If Nieves cannot do better than Carey, he simply does not deserve to be on the team.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's no secret that I've never been insanely high on him, going back many years at this point. I'm also guilty of being one of those people who pushed back harder the more he was sold by some.

Nieves has amazing speed and has developed quite the frame to go with it. But in the five or six years I've watched him, I've just never seen a good grasp on actually playing and understanding the game. Frankly, his speed covers for a lot of poor decision making and lack of skills in other areas.

To me, he always seemed more like a journeyman fourth liner because his physical attributes were always going to intrigue someone. However, without a consistent way to channel said attributes, I saw him as a fringe player.

Having said that, I would not write him off entirely at this point. How he responds in the AHL is going to go a long way toward determining whether we find him back here sooner rather than later.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
He is a UFA after this season. Are we bringing him back or trading him? He seems to be pretty good, but gets injured often.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In a vacuum he is a bottom 6 pivot; BUT chemistry and linemates are important factors as well.

When we shed the excess pivots, and hopefully move Hayes with Chapman return in mind, and possibly Zib to defeat NMC and sell high, then we will see, as I said, Nieves and Kreider to have great synergy.

Until Kravtsov gets here.

Thank God AV is buy-bye
that and injuries slowed Boo arrival.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In a vacuum he is a bottom 6 pivot; BUT chemistry and linemates are important factors as well.
A fringe 4th line is still just a fringe 4th liner. Which is all Nieves is.
When we shed the excess pivots, and hopefully move Hayes with Chapman return in mind, and possibly Zib to defeat NMC and sell high, then we will see, as I said, Nieves and Kreider to have great synergy.
Now trade ZBad because of his NMC? You DO understand that without NMC/NTC, you will NEVER be able to sign players who are top liners? Or retain your own. It's not about getting rid of such clauses. It's carefully managing to whom they are given and when. And just how big the list is.
Thank God AV is buy-bye
I could not stand AV from the start, but he has absolutely as much to do with Nieves being a fringe player as you do.

Last edited:

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well no doubts he has struggled with injuries, but 2012 NYR, 2nd rd, 29th pk (59th overall)

Career stats: 55 GP 17 pts. Only 4 goals, but 13 assist exactly 0 in +/- so far in 3 seasons.

1 goal in his last 5 games.

I think we should resign him and hopefully he plays a full season and see what Nieves can do for us next year in a bridge kind of deal. And he will be barely noticed concerning cap hit. My brief point is it is not based on cap reasons if he get moved in a value package.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Boo looks like a solid 4th line player to me. Not just here, but even on a good team. Fast, strong, reasonable skill, versatile, good teammate. I think he'd be capable of playing most places. That he's taken longer than average to make it doesn't make him less of a player now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Boo is ok for what he is, a 4th liner who doesn't really bring anything unique to the table. Maybe some speed but it doesn't really amount to much. He's fine for now on the rebuilding team but has no business on a contending team.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Boo looks like a solid 4th line player to me. Not just here, but even on a good team. Fast, strong, reasonable skill, versatile, good teammate. I think he'd be capable of playing most places. That he's taken longer than average to make it doesn't make him less of a player now.

I agree with this to a 't'. To me he looks to be rounding out into a real nice, versatile, depth forward who can play on the 4th line and prime PK time.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
boo is fine, and he will continue to be fine as a 4th line center ... as long as he's paid less than $1m.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Until Kravtsov gets here.

Thank God AV is buy-bye

There's no proof of this. There's NOTHING that points to this being even remotely true. Stop it

Reactions: dangsLITE

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Id re-sign him. He's good for the role and as much as its not the most valuable role, the fact is we've had a cycle of crappy players in this position since losing Moore.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I hope he likes playing for Quinn, and re-signs

But a young center w size and skating may get a choice of offers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad