Player Comparisons

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Just started playing around with who can be compared to in this draft. Here's what I'm coming up with. Let me know what you think.

1 - Sean Couturier, F, Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL

Player Comparable: David Backes, solid 2-way physical player

2 - Adam Larsson, D, Skellefteå AIK, Elitserien

Player Comparable: Victor Hedman

3 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer Rebels, WHL

Player Comparable: Joe Pavelski

4 - Gabriel Landeskog, W, Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Player Comparable: Dustin Brown

5 - Ryan Strome, C, Niagara Icedogs, OHL

Player Comparable: Jeff Carter

6 - Ryan Murphy, D, Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Player Comparable: Dan Boyle

7 - Brandon Saad, W, Saginaw Spirit, OHL

Player Comparable: James van Riemsdyk

8 - Duncan Siemens, D, Saskatoon Blades, WHL

Player Comparable: Dan Hamhuis

9 - Douggie Hamilton, D, Niagara Icedogs, OHL

Player Comparable: Andrej Mezsaros

10 - Tomas Jurco, W, Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Ville Leino

11 - Jonathan Huberdeau, C, Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Daniel Brière

12 - David Musil, D, Vancouver Giants, WHL

Player Comparable: Adrian Aucoin

13 - Ty Rattie, W, Portland Winterhawks, WHL

Player Comparable: Bryan Little

14 - Matt Puempel, W, Peterborough Petes, OHL

Player Comparable: David Booth

15 - Nathan Beaulieu, D, Saint John, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Brad Stuart

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
so we should be expecting an injection of Phildelphia Flyer-like players? :P

yeap :)

only reason I have a few Flyers on there is because their style of play is comparable to a few of the teams junior players are on

David Backes is an awful comparison for Couturier. Ditto for Pavelski and RNH. Have you seen them play?

yeah but it's just an opinion, sorry for not coming up with the same comparisons that are always made

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Siemens-Hamhuis comparison is pretty good.

Pavelski-RNH isn't very good though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What about Tim Connolly?

btw, I don't get the Couturier - Lecavalier thing

Lecavalier is the best Couturier comparison I have too.

And no, for RNH, think dynamic, shifty. I still think Duchene is the best comparison with Datsyuk as another one.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Lecavalier is the best Couturier comparison I have too.

And no, for RNH, think dynamic, shifty. I still think Duchene is the best comparison with Datsyuk as another one.

it's possible that RNH is in the Datsyuk mold. At first I started thinking he was like Duchene. I offered that comparison a while ago. The thing is with RNH, I'm really not sold on him completely. I don't like his even strength production at all. I came up with the Duchene comparison because back in Brampton he played in a tight defensive system. He produced fairly well at ES, but nothing too outstanding. So, I went on thinking that Red Deer plays kind of the same system but I'm shying away from that, and I really don't think anymore that RNH is held back offensively at ES because of the system he plays in. I'm really wondering if he can pull it off at even strength. Most people are sold on him, but I'm not. I'm just looking to see if there are NHLers who are fine player but just not at the Datsyuk level, because now, every shifty 2-way player is compared to Datsyuk, but Datsyuk is really out of this world as far as I'm concerned ... maybe Plekanec, I don't know ...

Last edited:

KingJet*

Dude, your comparisons are weak, some were good but the ones I fixed are more accurate

1 - Sean Couturier, F, Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Thornton, Spezza, Lecavalier (individualy)

2 - Adam Larsson, D, Skellefteå AIK, Elitserien

Player Comparable: Victor Hedman

3 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer Rebels, WHL

Player Comparable: Joe Sakic

4 - Gabriel Landeskog, W, Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Player Comparable: Dustin Brown

5 - Ryan Strome, C, Niagara Icedogs, OHL

Player Comparable: Jeff Carter

6 - Ryan Murphy, D, Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Player Comparable: Dan Boyle

7 - Brandon Saad, W, Saginaw Spirit, OHL

Player Comparable: Rick Nash

8 - Duncan Siemens, D, Saskatoon Blades, WHL

Player Comparable: Ed Jovanovski

9 - Douggie Hamilton, D, Niagara Icedogs, OHL

Player Comparable: Brian Rafalski

10 - Tomas Jurco, W, Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Ville Leino, Jussi Jokinen

11 - Jonathan Huberdeau, C, Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Vincent Lecavalier

12 - David Musil, D, Vancouver Giants, WHL

Player Comparable: Adrian Aucoin

13 - Ty Rattie, W, Portland Winterhawks, WHL

Player Comparable: Bryan Little, Wojtek Wolski

14 - Matt Puempel, W, Peterborough Petes, OHL

Player Comparable: Henrik Zetterberg

15 - Nathan Beaulieu, D, Saint John, QMJHL

Player Comparable: Brad Stuart

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
it's possible that RNH is in the Datsyuk mold. At first I started thinking he was like Duchene. I offered that comparison a while ago. The thing is with RNH, I'm really not sold on him completely. I don't like his even strength production at all. I came up with the Duchene comparison because back in Brampton he played in a tight defensive system. He produced fairly well at ES, but nothing too outstanding. So, I went on thinking that Red Deer plays kind of the same system but I'm shying away from that, and I really don't think anymore that RNH is held back offensively at ES because of the system he plays in. I'm really wondering if he can pull it off at even strength. Most people are sold on him, but I'm not. I'm just looking to see if there are NHLers who are fine player but just not at the Datsyuk level, because now, every shifty 2-way player is compared to Datsyuk, but Datsyuk is really out of this world as far as I'm concerned ... maybe Plekanec, I don't know ...

I have seen very little of RNH, but I have seen enough to know Pavelski isn't the best comparison. Pavelski is as good defensive as offensively, and gets a huge portion of his chances through hard work out thinking his opponents. Sounds a lot like a third liner, but he also posses a lethal wrist shot and excellent vision. In contrast, RNH has twice the talent and speed Pavelski has shown today, let alone when Pavs was a 7th round pick. However, if RNH has Pavelski's motor, work ethic, and hockey IQ, than than Duchene comparison is a damn good one, and I'd take RNH #1 overall- the combination of all world talent and tremendous work ethic is a very rare one indeed.

Also, I think Sean Couturier's offensive upside is well beyond that of David Backes, while he will almost certainly never have Backes mean streak. I think Lecavalier, Staal, Bobby Ryan, and Jeff Carter are better comparisons. I know Ryan's not a center, but he has the skills to be one IMO.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010

The reason Nugent-Hopkins is compared it Datsyuk is only partially because he is a shifty, elusive centerman. The other (main) reason is because RNH has the same ability to pick-pocket or quickly knife the puck away from the opponent when they aren't suspecting it and creating chances from it.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
and here we thought it was a weak draft, with names like Sakic, Zetterberg, Lecavalier, Nash, Carter, Sedin, Boyle and Rafalski

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
They just play like them, has nothing to do with talent.

that's a good point...Staal, Thornton, Spezza, and Lecavalier all play somewhat similar games, but have different talent levels. Couturier is in the same mold. Tall, lanky, long reach, protects the puck well, but will he have Jordan Staal's talent or Joe Thornton's? Or fall somewhere short of all those players? Hard to say, but with the way he plays, he certainly looks a lot like those guys on the ice, at least in some ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad