Play tough guys = Win

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Mainly that Shelley and Sestito would have had it much tougher had the Rangers had a full head of steam. I won't deny that pretty much every player for the Flyers did a great job of keeping the puck in the Rangers zone for a good amount of the game.

But sometimes you get lucky with the schedule.. Hell we've seen the Flyers sluggish after back to back games before.

Although this conversation did quickly shift to McGinn and Knuble.

375994_sarcasm_sign.jpg

You were spot-on in your assessment. And there will be many, many opportunities for each team to meet a 2nd-game-in-48-hours opponent this mini-season.

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008
Tough guys still matter in this league even if you Ice Capades fans don't want to admit it.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Wellwood is fast and can get back fast on d, but Sestito brings that physical part to the game that the Flyers need. It really depends on the team the Flyers play though. I said before the Rangers game that I feel that the Flyers had a chance to win because they were playing these "thugs". Sometimes all you need to do is play hard physical intense hockey and you will win.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm really impressed with McGinn. I see him as a real solid role player in the future. A fourth line of him, Wellwood and Rinaldo could really be something. They might not provide much in terms of offense, but they're going to be a menace to play against. All three have good wheels, McGinn and Rinaldo can really throw their weight around, and McGinn and Wellwood actually have some skill. This has the potential to be a crazy better line than the Kordic - Lacroix - Daniels from 1997. I have to admit, I loved that line. You knew that they were just out there to keep other teams honest and they were effective at that. I see that from this potential fourth line.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Tough guys still matter in this league even if you Ice Capades fans don't want to admit it.

I'm pretty sure the argument has never been against players who are big and physical, just against guys who contribute nothing but the ability to drop the gloves and take a punch. Give me Wellwood over Shelley any day, but I think Sestito at least has a modicum of hockey skill. Guys who fight are fine as long as they can do something else well.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
In spite of the fact that Shelley wasn't directly responsible for a goal against - he has an extremely limited place on this team or in this league anymore. If the opponent dresses McGratton/MacIntyre/Orr/Scott/or another pointless heavyweight then sure - dress Shelley.

If there is one forward spot left in the lineup like there will be tomorrow night - here's what I would do

McGinn - because he's big, fast, and responsible

Sestito - because he's bigger, fairly skilled, and is an average fighter

Rinaldo - because he's a decent player, forechecks hard and occasionally destroys somebody

Shelley - because he's a capable punching bag for another heavyweight and once in a blue moon
will get a guy like Neil to go and then tear him up.

In my opinion heavyweights that can't play are pointless. Engelland is a rare exception as a below average 3rd pairing guy that can go with anybody.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

so you want a guy like Orr or Scott on your team? They don't protect anybody anymore and they sure as hell don't help win any games. If your objective is to be a team like the Leafs - then go ahead and dress a sideshow like Colton Orr - get the idiots in the crowd pumped up to buy more beer and lose yet another game.

Tough guys that can play still matter. I'll take an Ice Capades team like the Kings and a Stanley Cup any day of the week.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Sestito: 245 career AHL games, .46 ppg
Wellwood: 135 career AHL games, .43 ppg

That is not surprising. Wellwood doesn't have much at all to offer on offense but he has the speed and defensive awareness to bring to the team. He is a fringe fourth liner in the nhl and Lavy plays a system that fits him well.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
so you want a guy like Orr or Scott on your team? They don't protect anybody anymore and they sure as hell don't help win any games. If your objective is to be a team like the Leafs - then go ahead and dress a sideshow like Colton Orr - get the idiots in the crowd pumped up to buy more beer and lose yet another game.

Tough guys that can play still matter. I'll take an Ice Capades team like the Kings and a Stanley Cup any day of the week.

Sestito and Rinaldo are both solid players. They both will hit everything that moves and Sestito will drop them with anyone. Those two players help this team win. Shelley on the other hand has not offered this team too much and is past his prime. I agree with you though even if you are the best fighter in the league, you shouldn't play unless you have something else to offer to this team. Rinaldo and Sestito have something else to offer.

LuigiStone*

I'm really impressed with McGinn. I see him as a real solid role player in the future. A fourth line of him, Wellwood and Rinaldo could really be something. They might not provide much in terms of offense, but they're going to be a menace to play against. All three have good wheels, McGinn and Rinaldo can really throw their weight around, and McGinn and Wellwood actually have some skill. This has the potential to be a crazy better line than the Kordic - Lacroix - Daniels from 1997. I have to admit, I loved that line. You knew that they were just out there to keep other teams honest and they were effective at that. I see that from this potential fourth line.

The Dan-Line was a beauty.

A top 10 HW - Kordic
Pretty good MW - Lacroix
Entertaining punching bag - Daniels.

Then we had a bunch of other willing guys= Lindros, Podein, Otto, Svoboda, Therien etc.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Kings even got 2 draft picks for a goon they weren't using.

Of course tough guys still matter in this league (Shawn Thornton). Tough guys who can't play, do not.

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008

You obviously didn't watch much of the Kings in their run last year. They were crushing everything that moved and even Kopitar dropped the gloves in the Vancouver series. Get back to me when you know what you're talking about.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You obviously didn't watch much of the Kings in their run last year. They were crushing everything that moved and even Kopitar dropped the gloves in the Vancouver series. Get back to me when you know what you're talking about.

I think Kopitar might be a little bit of a better player than Sestito or Shelley, or anyone not named Giroux for that matter.

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008
I think Kopitar might be a little bit of a better player than Sestito or Shelley, or anyone not named Giroux for that matter.

Thanks for the head's up. How would you rate Kopitar's skating? Is he better than Scott Hamilton? Brian Boitano?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Thanks for the head's up. How would you rate Kopitar's skating? Is he better than Scott Hamilton? Brian Boitano?

You shouldnt get defensive when you compared Kopitar to Shelly, Orr, Scott etc etc.

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008
You shouldnt get defensive when you compared Kopitar to Shelly, Orr, Scott etc etc.

Who compared Kopitar to them? I certainly didn't and I also certainly didn't call the Kings an Ice Capades team. Someone else did that. :laugh:

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

So wait, we should dress guys like Rinaldo, Sestito and Shelley so we are as physical as guys like Kopitar?

Good lord.

This team is plenty physical, we don't need to waste roster spots on guys who cant play.

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
I'm not a big fan of Wellwood, I think his speed is the only thing going for him. I like Sestito a lot more, but he is also high risk. He can add that spark, but he'll also put you on pk. Wellwood seems like the safer choice, thought imo Sestito offers more to this team.

FlyerX

Oct 9, 2008
So wait, we should dress guys like Rinaldo, Sestito and Shelley so we are as physical as guys like Kopitar?

Good lord.

This team is plenty physical, we don't need to waste roster spots on guys who cant play.

Firstly, the name of the game is hockey, not skills competition. Did you watch the Kings run at all? They're a big team and they hit every chance they got. They fought some, even Kopitar. The Flyers' first three lines aren't that big or tough. Simmonds has some edge and so does Hartnell . . . . but Hartnell's hurt now. To balance that out, I don't see anything wrong with dressing a Sestito or Shelley over some 170 lb waterbug because he's fast. We've already got forwards who bring that. To say Sestito and Shelley just can't play is to say you weren't watching Thursday night's game. Teams win hockey games, not individual skills or motivational speeches from Lavy. The proof was on the ice against the Rags.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad