GDT: "Play it again, Sam" - Canesablanca - Pittsburgh Penguins @ Carolina Hurricanes

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
right, but a team spends far more time at even strength than it does on the pp. the hurricanes are averaging just under 6 minutes of PP time/game this season.

i think a team being a C-/D+ at something that they are spending around 50 minutes a game on is more relevant than being an F at something they are doing for 6.

it's bizarre how little this gets discussed. like the ratio has to somewhere around 10000:1 in terms of PP:ES. i'm not even joking. it's that bad. there seems to be an obsession amongst fans and media to mercilessly abuse certain stats while ignoring the bigger picture. a few years ago faceoffs were a major issue to be discussed. it was solved and predictably it didn't change anything since the team had a major issue of sucking horrendously when the puck was in play (and faceoffs are wildly overrated anyway). then it was the powerplay. since that has been at least momentarily fixed, it will now be the shootout. just wait until this team's next shootout loss. it will be weeks before people stop talking about how we've missed the playoffs by a few points so many times and it's all because of the shootout. or wait until the next time one of our players gets hurt on a questionable hit. do we need an enforcer? more team toughness? why didn't we dress brad malone so he could grit and leadership?

those numbers are just staggering and it's puzzling how nobody seems to care. they are more interested in chipping away at areas of relatively minor concern while ignoring a major one. is it because most don't really want to admit that this is team is atrocious and needs years and years before it can be fixed...and that they'd rather believe that all they need to do is score a few more shootout and PP goals to somehow squeak into the 8th seed?

and why do i type in all lowercase? god that **** is annoying

John & Tripp had 5v5 play as the top key to the game last night...what are the chances this was coincidence?

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
An interesting stat, is that the Canes are 12th in GF% since 07 when up 1, and 16th when down 1, and 25th when tied.

They're good with the lead, okay when behind, and among the worst when tied.

This year, they're, 12th up 1, 16th down 1, and 30th when tied.

By any chance can you look at it by period? If the poor performance when tied is dominated by the first period, it might answer how much of it to attribute to slow starts.

Just based on my own recollection, this is probably it. Last year specifically they never scored first.

John and Tripp had "First Goal" as the top key to the game last night.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I can't think of anything more important for this team than setting up Jeff Skinner at center ice for a triple axle in the first period of the Detroit game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad