NBA Play-In Tournament is here to stay

Sep 19, 2008
i hate the NBA but the tournament is one of the few things Silver has done well

I was skeptical at first but the more we play it the more it makes sense (i mean do you mean to tell me you could lose a game in the tournament AND not be eliminated! Big brain tournament! amirite!)

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
My only problem is that the games don’t count as playoff games.

Why would they? And why do they need to be? So 20 teams of 30 make the playoffs now? The existence of this waters down the regular season enough. Calling these games playoffs would somehow, someway do it even more.

(On that note can't wait for the even more pointless and unecessary in season tournament!)

I don't think the now former MLB "Wild Card" game should have counted as a playoff game either.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Why would they? And why do they need to be? So 20 teams of 30 make the playoffs now? The existence of this waters down the regular season enough. Calling these games playoffs would somehow, someway do it even more.

(On that note can't wait for the even more pointless and unecessary in season tournament!)

I don't think the now former MLB "Wild Card" game should have counted as a playoff game either.

They shouldn’t count as regular season games. That would create asterisks on breaking statistical records. Whether you think these play-in games are unnecessary is irrelevant to my point. I just think that if you make the play-in game, that should count as a playoff apperance in your franchise history. It’s “postseason” meaning after the regular season. Plus, your stats in the play-in game count for nothing? I just disagree with that. Might as well count them as playoff stats since you’re playing for playoff survival.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
Well now only 12 teams are guaranteed a playoff spot, so I feel like the play-in makes regular season success even more important.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
As a Cavs fan I'm opposed to this. I'd much rather properly expand the playoffs to 20 teams with the following provisions:

1. If a team ranked 11-15 in one conference has a better record than a top 10 team in the other, it would cross over to the other conference's playoffs (this actually would have happened in 2022, with #11 in the East, the Knicks, playing as #10 in the West due to having three more wins than the Spurs)

2. The first round is a best of three matching 7 VS. 10 and 8 VS. 9, the first game is held at the lower seed

3. The higher-seeded first round survivor in each conference plays the #2 seed, and the lower-seeded survivor plays the #1 seed

4. Re-seeding also occurs after the conference quarterfinals

5. All best of seven playoff series now feature a 2-3-2 home court format to save travel costs

There are plenty of ideas that are better than the NBA's play-in games, such as:

1. The NHL returning to the COVID alignment and playoff format until a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup

2. An NFL realignment that would send the Steelers to the AFC East, the Colts and Chiefs to the AFC North, the Dolphins and Panthers to the AFC South, the Texans to the AFC West, the Ravens to the NFC East, and the Cowboys to the NFC South

3. The Michigan-Ohio State football game being played at night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad