Planning my first trip to Montreal-Boston-Toronto

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Unless you want to see a big city, and city everwhere, don't go to Toronto. BUT if you want like to try multi-ethnic food, it is pretty good and cheap.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Flying is just over an hour, plus about an hour and a half total getting to and from airports, so about three hours from your Montreal hotel to your NYC hotel.
you forgot that he would have to show up at least to 2hrs before the flight to get through customs and security. that brings it close to the driving time. agree about Chicago though, city is great + Wrigley Field is the most spectacular ballpark.

Naoned

I did something like that in 2009, one week in Montreal with 3 Habs games, one day in NYC, another one in Quebec.
As a French myself, I would disagree Quebec is not worth seeing. It's really nice, but one day is enough. I went there by bus from Montréal, leaving early in the morning and getting back at night. With the time difference, it's not that hard to get up at 6 or 7. Buses are cheap, it's a good way to travel. You get to relax and see the countryside.
5 days in Montréal is a bit short, especially if you want to experience the night life. I went to bars, and a friend of mine took me to a LIM show (improv theatre), it was one of the highlights of my stay.

Enjoy !

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Several things to ask: how are you travelling, alone or with somebody. As well, what is your age and what exactly are you looking for: sports, sights, nightlife, and so on. What one person finds interesting, the other may not and vice versa. (As an example Niagara Falls, one of the wonders of the world, just south of Toronto is awesome and if you have a girlfriend with you, she'd love it. Yet, single teenage males may find it boring.)

To get some more info, you might want to post your message on the Toronto and Boston and NYC boards or even the main board as well to get more insight. As well, you could check out the Quebec and Ontario travel sites.

------------------

As an added note, I live in Montreal but do sports trips to Toronto several times a year ... what I usually do is leave Montreal Friday morning by train for an NBA Raptors game on Friday evening and then again on Sun afternoon and an afternoon MLB Blue Jays baseball game on Saturday or Monday. If I am really lucky I can get a hockey game on Saturday evening but usually I just visit friends or relatives on Saturday and normally go out for dinner. To include baseball, it has to be done in April when you are going. (If I just do NBA games, I come back Sunday, then it only needs one workday.)

A good combo and when I'll be going is Sat Apr 04th evening Raptors, Sat 05th afternoon Blue Jays, Sat 05th evening Leafs game, and Sun 06th afternoon Blue Jays against Yankees. That way I lose only one workday and take the train back to Montreal on Sun evening. I get all three major sports that way and all within walking distance of the train station.

Last edited:

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
If you're going to Boston, might as well visit New-York and forget about Toronto. Nothing worthwhile to see there. Quebec city is also very nice and close to Montreal.

Hell yeah.

Geographically speaking, Toronto is a hell of a long way away. This is like going from Bordeaux to Marseille and then to Paris.

I know a lot of Europeans want to see everything in Canada but its a huge country, you can't realistically do Quebec and Ontario on the same trip, especially if you don't fly in between. All sorts of transports are more expensive than in Europe anyways.

I'll agree with others and say stick to New York, Boston and Montreal. A detour to Quebec City is worth it, hey I need to support my city after all.. ;)

tinyzombies said:
Boston and Toronto are boring. I would stick to NYC and Montreal. The old buildings in Quebec City probably won't impress you at all.

1. Boston is an awesome city.

2. Is that why there are constantly hordes of french people visiting Quebec City? They love it here, Qc city is not just about ''old buildings'', its like home away from home for them. Oh and from here there is much easier access to winter sports than in Montreal, if you want to ski, skate with a wonder decor or slide down in a montain in a big tire. They find it friendly here as well, we all speak french, we all have a funny accent that they can understand well with a little effort and we sell nice stuff like maple syrup and ice cyder.

tinyzombies said:
Nothing else in flying range that would be of interest I don't think. Pretty ugly country all the way across until you get near the Rocky Mountains, then it's stunning.

Strongly disagree. Beauty is highly subjective. For instance I found the great flat deserts and bush in Australia amazing yet locals would find of little interest. Just like that most of us don't care about endless forests, smallish hills that we call mountains and rivers&lakes because we've grown up near them yet these can be amazing from people coming from the old continent. You find the mountains of the rockies impressive because they are tall and have glaciers on top. The french find our ski mountains in east N-A nice for the exact opposite, because there are trees even on top and its different to them.

Its hard for us to grasp anyone willing to suffer the cold&snow, yet people come all the way even from Australia&New Zealand to visit Quebec City just to see and feel that.

Last edited:

HookeyPlayer

Jan 30, 2012
Hi OP, just letting you know that Toronto is a nice city and the biggest in Canada. You should post your question on the Leafs forum for tourist suggestions. Hope you have a nice journey!

9666265801_15ae7398c1_b.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad