Planning my first-ever trip to Ottawa! Help? :)

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This person can carpool, or take a bus to get there if necessary, however, it all depends on if they are using a hotel or possibly staying over at a friend's house, and where this would be located. There is no free bus to the game from bars, typically you have to spend ~$50 if not more for this perk, and if they're coming to and from centrum then it's not really worth the hassle and money. They sell pizza and hot dogs at the arenas as well, but they are significantly cheaper at Costco, for less than 5$ for a meal that will keep you full for the entire duration of the game. Not to mention you can also pre-drink or have a smoke on the walkover while you see an endless line of cars that barely move in either direction, also helps to avoid waiting for ~60 minutes trying to leave the parking lot.

We both agree that eating wherever prior to a game, is a money saver, as is finding away to avoid the cost and hassle of leaving a vehicle in the parking lot.

It was before the pandemic when I went to Hurley's in Stittsville, and (at the time) took their free shuttle to and from the the game.... had a meal and a couple of beers, so perhaps that is why the shuttle was free.

The poster mentioned he was staying at friends in Gloucester and was not going to be using a vehicle.... so that leaves a bar with a shuttle, OCTranspo or a ride share service that can be split with the number of occupants.

on the topic of parking at the Costco.
Now I personally had not heard of any issues with vehicles being left there during games, they close as early as 6pm on weekends and 830pm on weeknights... do they a policy regarding people who do this? would cars left there be a target for thieves? Who knows, but I would not leave my vehicle parked there.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
on the topic of parking at the Costco.
Now I personally had not heard of any issues with vehicles being left there during games, they close as early as 6pm on weekends and 830pm on weeknights... do they a policy regarding people who do this? would cars left there be a target for thieves? Who knows, but I would not leave my vehicle parked there.
Not sure if they have any policies regarding parking, but from personal experience, I can say that I have yet to experience any issues using this strategy. Missed the part about Gloucester, but I can say that as a person who lives in this area its not too bad since I carpool with some buddies that live on baseline road.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly to get the most out of your vacay I would suggest staying around downtown.

From downtown you can get a 400 series OC Transpo bus that takes you directly to and from the game. There will also be lots of cool food spots you can try there on Bank and Elgin st.

There aren't any real attractions around the city other than museums but as pointed out earlier you can visit places like Lansdowne to maybe catch a 67's game for cheap.

As for alumni they aren't really that easily accessible
Cannot forget the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa and walking beside or skating on the Rideau Canal.

Drive along the Eastern or Western Parkway beside the Ottawa River.

NAC performances.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Not sure if they have any policies regarding parking, but from personal experience, I can say that I have yet to experience any issues using this strategy. Missed the part about Gloucester, but I can say that as a person who lives in this area its not too bad since I carpool with some buddies that live on baseline road.
I guess that Costco know that people use their parking lot, and attend events at the CTC, and could do something about it, if inclined…. Also there must be employees who park there, who work past the scheduled closing time, who do inventory and restocking, so it’s not like there are only cars parked there at the end of a game that are just people who attend events.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
When I went to Ottawa here what I was lucky enough to experience;

Stayed in the Chateau Laurier.
Smoked a joint in a courtyard around the ByWard market and had the cops called on me.
Had a beaver tail at the ByWard Market location.
Ate a Capocollo sandwich from La Bodega in the ByWard Market.
Went to the national gallery and saw Rembrandt’s, Picasso’s, Van Noy’s, Chagall’s, Raphael’s and luckily Warhol’s ‘Brillo’ and screen print series.
Room service from the Chateau Laurier.
Nodded every time at the American secret service agents, eventually they nodded back.
The Rideau centre.

I missed out on Gabriels Pizza, the National War Museum and taking a sh*t on the steps of the CRA but otherwise I had a fantastic time.

I hope you have an amazing time man. Honestly it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When I went to Ottawa here what I was lucky enough to experience;

Stayed in the Chateau Laurier.
Smoked a joint in a courtyard around the ByWard market and had the cops called on me.
Had a beaver tail at the ByWard Market location.
Ate a Capocollo sandwich from La Bodega in the ByWard Market.
Went to the national gallery and saw Rembrandt’s, Picasso’s, Van Noy’s, Chagall’s, Raphael’s and luckily Warhol’s ‘Brillo’ and screen print series.
Room service from the Chateau Laurier.
Nodded every time at the American secret service agents, eventually they nodded back.
The Rideau centre.

I missed out on Gabriels Pizza, the National War Museum and taking a sh*t on the steps of the CRA but otherwise I had a fantastic time.

I hope you have an amazing time man. Honestly it was one of the best experiences of my life.
Chateau Laurier and the National Art Gallery would be great places to go.

The other National Museums would be great places too:

Reactions: Que

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad