Planning my first-ever trip to Ottawa! Help? :)

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Hey all,

It's been a minute since I've been around the boards, but I am back and looking for some advice! I will be in Ottawa for the first time in mid-February. My first Sens game will be Chris Neil's jersey retirement night. I will be in town for five days and will see two Sens games. So here is my list of questions:

What is the best way to get to and from the games without a car?

What are some must-see/try things at the game?

Any good spots to see some alumni around the rink?

Any restaurant recommendations in the city?

What are some must-see attractions in the city?

I am so pumped about this trip. It's going to be fantastic.
Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,
Ed

Reactions: bicboi64

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hey all,

It's been a minute since I've been around the boards, but I am back and looking for some advice! I will be in Ottawa for the first time in mid-February. My first Sens game will be Chris Neil's jersey retirement night. I will be in town for five days and will see two Sens games. So here is my list of questions:

Thanks,
Ed
The first thing people need to know is where you're staying. What part of the city?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks,
Ed
Best way to get to a game without a car is to take one of the shuttles from one of the Senate locations. Will be filled outgoing fans and sets a great atmosphere for the game. It takes you back there after if you want to continue to watch sports. I think the Wellington location is the best one personally.

Id check out the fan deck between periods if you want a lively atmosphere.

For restaurants I am not sure what you're into! Lots of great options. I am a big fan of Preston Street. Mati, Umbrella Bar, the Prescott, Giovanis, Evo lots of amazing choices.

Lansdown Park has great entertainment options. Lots of restaurants, movie theater. Lots going on.

Dont stay in Kanata stay between Hintonburgh and Elgin Street.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree with Bert here, that's why I asked what part of the city you are staying in. Take a shuttle from a bar somewhere, that's the best bet imo. And yes, check out the fan deck.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Honestly to get the most out of your vacay I would suggest staying around downtown.

From downtown you can get a 400 series OC Transpo bus that takes you directly to and from the game. There will also be lots of cool food spots you can try there on Bank and Elgin st.

There aren't any real attractions around the city other than museums but as pointed out earlier you can visit places like Lansdowne to maybe catch a 67's game for cheap.

As for alumni they aren't really that easily accessible

Reactions: edguy

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
You can take a shuttle bus from most bus stations and it won't take you much longer than 30 minutes to get to the arena. I would personally recommend parking in the costco parking lot, grabbing pre-game food for ~5$, and walking down to the arena for 15-20 minutes.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I agree with JD, need more details about your location and tastes for restaurant suggestions.

Agree with bert about the shuttles too. More fun than the city bus. Glebe Central Pub is offering one for the Chicago game SENS BUS | Glebe Central Pub

You’ll be right in the prime of Winterlude if you’re coming with kids that’s really fun. Pretty impressive ice sculptures too. Winterlude 2023 - Canada.ca

Canal will likely be open for a skate. If you’ve never done it it’s a pretty unique outing.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The first thing people need to know is where you're staying. What part of the city?

I think it's called Gloucester? I got a free place to stay so it's hard to complain about haha. I think it's a little farther out but free helps that haha.

Best way to get to a game without a car is to take one of the shuttles from one of the Senate locations. Will be filled outgoing fans and sets a great atmosphere for the game. It takes you back there after if you want to continue to watch sports. I think the Wellington location is the best one personally.

Id check out the fan deck between periods if you want a lively atmosphere.

For restaurants I am not sure what you're into! Lots of great options. I am a big fan of Preston Street. Mati, Umbrella Bar, the Prescott, Giovanis, Evo lots of amazing choices.

Lansdown Park has great entertainment options. Lots of restaurants, movie theater. Lots going on.

Dont stay in Kanata stay between Hintonburgh and Elgin Street.

Is the fan deck that Coke zone?? I was going to buy tickets for in there but opted for 200 level tickets for the Sunday game vs the Blues.

I agree with JD, need more details about your location and tastes for restaurant suggestions.

Agree with bert about the shuttles too. More fun than the city bus. Glebe Central Pub is offering one for the Chicago game SENS BUS | Glebe Central Pub

You’ll be right in the prime of Winterlude if you’re coming with kids that’s really fun. Pretty impressive ice sculptures too. Winterlude 2023 - Canada.ca

Canal will likely be open for a skate. If you’ve never done it it’s a pretty unique outing.

I have heard winterlude will be on! That should definitely be interesting to check out too.

As for restaurants, definitely love a good burger joint, pasta, or Mexican.

What is the food like at the games? Is it worth eating there or should I eat beforehand?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Golden Palace egg rolls are the must try item at games.

I think it's called Gloucester? I got a free place to stay so it's hard to complain about haha. I think it's a little farther out but free helps that haha.

Without a car? Ouch! If the LRT goes down, which it does fairly often, you'll be paying $$$ for a cab or uber.

Assen na yo!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DrEasy and edguy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Is the fan deck that Coke zone?? I was going to buy tickets for in there but opted for 200 level tickets for the Sunday game vs the Blues.
Gloucester is a really large area. You should ask your hosts about pubs in the area because various pubs run a yellow school bus shuttle to the game. Otherwise it's the 400 series bus.

The fan deck is on the 200 level concourse behind the net the Sens shoot on in the 1st and 3rd.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Winterlude is going on , so I would check out the website for Winterlude and skate on the canal. It should be open by then. Everyone has added a lot of good options, but the Byward market is nice for an evening, have anice dinner, BeaverTail, and hit a club

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
Ottawa is a lovely city:
*beautiful parks
*patient motorists
*gentle winter wind
*neutral-tasting tapwater, the best in the province
*nice postal service, you will be impressed
*the snow has a decent moisture content: not too wet and not too dry!

• Love
Reactions: Tuna99 and maclean

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Golden Palace egg rolls are the must try item at games.

Without a car? Ouch! If the LRT goes down, which it does fairly often, you'll be paying $$$ for a cab or uber.

Assen na yo!
Could take the LRT to the market and then a shuttle bus from the Senate. Then they'll be dropped back off DT if he wants to continue to shake it.

Reactions: Bileur

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Locked on Sens is doing a podcast from the Pub the night of Neils retirement. I think they are up to 2 bus loads already.

Reactions: Bileur

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The coke zone, eh? Didn't know we were that kind of team, but yeah I can imagine tickets for that running a bit high. Paying through the nose as it were
pretty sure it used to be worse back 15 + years ago. .Its a tradition perhaps

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Walking the bridge from Chateau Laurier to Hull is always fun. Big park there with winter life stuff

Get drunk in the market, get a poutine next to Barefac and shit talk the Leafs

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You can take a shuttle bus from most bus stations and it won't take you much longer than 30 minutes to get to the arena. I would personally recommend parking in the costco parking lot, grabbing pre-game food for ~5$, and walking down to the arena for 15-20 minutes.
First thing, he will not have a car, to park at Costco.
Second thing is that (Smaller) Costco has the reduced/limited menu., hot dog and Pizza is pretty much it.

Thirdly, He could consider heading out to Kanata/Stittsville early in the afternoon to a restaurant/bar that does have a free shuttle to the game, having a couple of beers and meal prior to the game, is going to be way cheaper than at the Arena.

And then after the game take one of the OCTranspo 400 series back downtown, assuming that is where he may be staying….. forget the yellow free school bus, the OCTranspo buses are much better, if you have the choice.

A number of years ago, we drove to Hurley’s in Stittsville, left the car there and took the short shuttle (yellow school bus) to and from the game.

once took a shuttle/yellow school bus from a bar on Merivale Rd. And it was a long cramped uncomfortable ride there, and worse on the way back, as there was some rowdiness and someone puking out the window…. So going to someplace in Kanata or Stittsville shortens that school bus ride.

Don’t know if Hurley’s still runs a shuttle, but you can contact them here > Home

Last edited:

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Second thing is that (Smaller) Costco has the reduced/limited menu., hot dog and Pizza is pretty much it.

Thirdly, He could consider heading out to Kanata/Stittsville early in the afternoon to a restaurant/bar that does have a shuttle to the game, having a couple of beers and meal prior to the game.
And then after the game take one of the OCTranspo 400 series back downtown, assuming that is where he may be staying.

A number of years ago, we drove to Hurley’s in Stittsville, left the car there and took the short shuttle (yellow school bus) to and from the game.

Don’t know if Harley’s still runs a shuttle, but you can contact them here > Home
Why are you addressing him and not the poster? Its weird.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Thirdly, He could consider heading out to Kanata/Stittsville early in the afternoon to a restaurant/bar that does have a free shuttle to the game, having a couple of beers and meal prior to the game, is going to be way cheaper than at the Arena.

And then after the game take one of the OCTranspo 400 series back downtown, assuming that is where he may be staying….. forget the yellow free school bus, the OCTranspo buses are much better, if you have the choice.

once took a shuttle/yellow school bus from a bar on Merivale Rd. And it was a long cramped uncomfortable ride there, and worse on the way back, as there was some rowdiness and someone puking out the window…. So going to someplace in Kanata or Stittsville shortens that school bus ride.

Don’t know if Hurley’s still runs a shuttle, but you can contact them here > Home
This person can carpool, or take a bus to get there if necessary, however, it all depends on if they are using a hotel or possibly staying over at a friend's house, and where this would be located. There is no free bus to the game from bars, typically you have to spend ~$50 if not more for this perk, and if they're coming to and from centrum then it's not really worth the hassle and money. They sell pizza and hot dogs at the arenas as well, but they are significantly cheaper at Costco, for less than 5$ for a meal that will keep you full for the entire duration of the game. Not to mention you can also pre-drink or have a smoke on the walkover while you see an endless line of cars that barely move in either direction, also helps to avoid waiting for ~60 minutes trying to leave the parking lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad