Planning and Preliminary Rules Discussion for ATD 2015

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
With the draft scheduled to start in approximately 2 months, it's time to put this up.

This is the thread to post any critiques of the last draft(s) and suggestions for the upcoming one.

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:teach: Link picks on draft list with bios constructed now or, if not done now, with bios on the ATD Master Bio Thread list! It'll encourage bio construction and be a valuable resource for future drafts when easily linked.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
:teach: Link picks on draft list with bios constructed now or, if not done now, with bios on the ATD Master Bio Thread list! It'll encourage bio construction and be a valuable resource for future drafts when easily linked.

I agree that this would be an improvement but it's kind of a pain in the ... for the person updating the draft thread, no?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I agree that this would be an improvement but it's kind of a pain in the ... for the person updating the draft thread, no?
;) That's the objection? ... I have been sweating on this board for TEN years bustin' my gut in drafts to run them as well as I could.

If no one else is willing to url and then backslash url the bios on the pick list, then I'd gladly do it. (It's not much more work. It IS a commitment, a concerted effort, but it takes little time or energy, just focus and determination.)

I think several of us would be willing to do it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I just bookmark the relevant roster threads and ctrl-f names when I want to see bios for players. So this proposition wouldn't be a big value add for me.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Just because I don't personally find it useful doesn't mean others wouldn't. We're here for an open exchange of ideas. That was my opinion. Let's hear what others have to say. Really what we want to know is, is the benefit worth the work involved?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Was there any hiccups with the last draft? I cant remember any except for me and sturm going at it.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
A few things off the top of my head...

Trading: yes or no? I enjoyed the no trade draft last year and would be for it again

How will we reward people that voted every round last year? I am in favor of letting them pick their draft spot again but am open to other suggestions

Draft order in general: I like how everyone got the opportunity to put in a list for their preferred draft spot last year and think we should do it again

I am in the same boat as seventies when it comes to names in the draft thread being linked to bios. It would be more convenient for sure but not enough to warrant me putting in the time to do it. If others want to then go right ahead. It would be a lot less work if people made the link themselves when they made their pick or if finished their bio...that way all the mods would have to do is copy and paste without looking anything up.

Number of teams: I am in favor of a different number than we've seen the last couple years...of course this all depends on interest level

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm assuming that the crazy idea of having a huge draft (56-64 teams) where each GM is allowed to have 2 Teams (one in each Conference) isn't happening?

It would sure shake things up!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
A few things off the top of my head...

Trading: yes or no? I enjoyed the no trade draft last year and would be for it again

I think trading is the one thing that is so controverisal, we should probably put it to a vote shortly before the draft starts.

How will we reward people that voted every round last year? I am in favor of letting them pick their draft spot again but am open to other suggestions

Did anyone keep track of who voted in every round this time?
Draft order in general: I like how everyone got the opportunity to put in a list for their preferred draft spot last year and think we should do it again

It was fun. I personally don't have a preference as to whether we do it again or go back to random.

I am in the same boat as seventies when it comes to names in the draft thread being linked to bios. It would be more convenient for sure but not enough to warrant me putting in the time to do it. If others want to then go right ahead. It would be a lot less work if people made the link themselves when they made their pick or if finished their bio...that way all the mods would have to do is copy and paste without looking anything up.

Half the time, GMs selecting players don't even post the player's position, or bold his name, or post the number of the pick if it's a makeup. Just because we ask them to do something to make the draft easier to administer, doesn't mean they will.

We have to assume that the primary burden of adding things to the OP will be on the person keeping it updated.

Number of teams: I am in favor of a different number than we've seen the last couple years...of course this all depends on interest level

See my crazy idea above (that was based off a conversation with 70s where he said he'd love to have a huge draft again). :naughty:

The issue is that we seem to have a core group of 24-32 GMs who are interested in these so it's hard to change the number too much without either leaving people out, or aggressively recruiting GMs who may or may not finish.

This year, we can have a stickied thread on the HOH board for the entire ATD recruitment period if we decide to go bigger.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I like this idea
I love it. That would make the MLD real interesting!

Rule suggestion: No player or pick of one team may end up on one's other team through trades.

Or,...

One conference could have trading, the other conference have no-trades allowed, thereby ensuring no problems with having two teams!!!

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Rule suggestion: No player or pick of one team may end up on one's other team through trades.

Or,...

One conference could have trading, the other conference have no-trades allowed, thereby ensuring no problems with having two teams!!!

MLD would turn into AAA

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It would be nice to see Doug Weight and Dick Irvin become starting top-6 forwards!

MLD would turn into AAA
Kind of. But there would a different mix (e.g, more all-time great Bottom-6 role players would be drafted earlier onto ATD squads instead of falling to the MLD).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Kind of surprised to see the idea gain support, actually, but lets let more comment on it.

Obviously, some kind of mechanism would have to be put in place to prevent a GM's 2 teams from trading with each other, directly or indirectly.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
MLD would turn into AAA

not really, man... MLD would be AA quality!

typical AAA draft follows about 44 teams worth of drafting and has about 10 teams itself, so the AA draft starts at around the 55th team. so the MLD (if there even is one) would be the caliber of players we take in the AA.

guys who aren't even on our AAA radars right now would be dotting 4th, maybe even 3rd lines in this draft.

I love the idea of a super huge draft, I just hate the idea of people having two teams.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario

Or,...

Love the idea of having a large draft where each GM can have two teams. And, if we go that way, VanIslander's idea of conference set-up would be perfect...

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Did anyone keep track of who voted in every round this time?

If memory serves you posted who you received votes from for each playoff round in the draft thread and I confirmed getting votes from same. I remember I always had the same voters as you (i.e. no one only voted for only one conference). We would have to ask VR about the finals but even if we don't have that info, I think we can still reward those we know for sure voted in all other rounds.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If memory serves you posted who you received votes from for each playoff round in the draft thread and I confirmed getting votes from same. I remember I always had the same voters as you (i.e. no one only voted for only one conference). We would have to ask VR about the finals but even if we don't have that info, I think we can still reward those we know for sure voted in all other rounds.

That rings a bell now

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm up for any kind of draft. I sort of like doing a bigger draft as well and maybe seeing if we can bring back a few of the gm's who have left like vecens, arrbez and Leafs Forever.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm up for any kind of draft. I sort of like doing a bigger draft as well and maybe seeing if we can bring back a few of the gm's who have left like vecens, arrbez and Leafs Forever.

I think the idea of a crazy big draft could get some of them back in.
I'd like to see 64 teams, but with as few people GMing multiple teams as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad