Proposal: Place Andrej Meszaros on waivers

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
But for real, probably can't risk the chance that he'd clear. I think the worst-case scenario is a conventional buyout. Would count only 333K against the cap.

Other option is something like trade Meszaros + 4th for a 7th. I think he's the only shoe that needs to drop to clear up the cap.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
If he clears and is recalled and claimed on re-entry, are we on the hook only for half his salary or also for half his cap hit?

mm6492

Dec 9, 2007
With only a 1-year deal, I feel like someone will take a shot on him.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
What is Meszaros' health situation? Prior to the last two years, he's been relatively healthy. In fact, outside of one year, he only missed two games combined.

Is he better or is this an injury that could stick with him for a while? The Oilers are obviously in on Coburn but I see Meszaros as a reasonable fallback option if he's healthy.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
re-entry waiver penalties were eliminated in the new CBA.

Ah, thanks.

But his cap hit would still be $3.1 M if he clears, right?

That is my understanding.

What is Meszaros' health situation? Prior to the last two years, he's been relatively healthy. In fact, outside of one year, he only missed two games combined.

Is he better or is this an injury that could stick with him for a while? The Oilers are obviously in on Coburn but I see Meszaros as a reasonable fallback option if he's healthy.

I know of no reason we expect the injuries to linger. What's spooky is the two injuries in two years. Bad luck or damaged goods? But Mez has nice offensive upside and played very well before the rash of injuries. He was close to actually being worth the 4 mil per year, imo. I agree that he's a reasonable fallback if healthy. Although I think Coburn is definitely better.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby

He's still not medically cleared to practice. It's expected he'll be cleared some time this month. I would be surprised if anyone would trade for him or claim him off waivers before that happens.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I really think he's still a moveable piece. Teams would be willing to give a conditional draft pick on him on X amount of games played. Only 1 year left on his deal so it should be an easy sell.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
He's still not medically cleared to practice. It's expected he'll be cleared some time this month. I would be surprised if anyone would trade for him or claim him off waivers before that happens.

There's no rush to do anything yet as long as the summer cap is in place, anyway.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
I really think he's still a moveable piece. Teams would be willing to give a conditional draft pick on him on X amount of games played. Only 1 year left on his deal so it should be an easy sell.

I think the problems moving him are A) the injuries he's had in the last two season and the fact he is still injured, B) the fact that at $4m that's a significant gamble even on a 1 year deal when he hasn't really been a $4m player at anypoint and C) he's actually paid a lot more ($5.5m) this year than his cap hit.

That said there are still plenty of teams out there that could make use of him and once the free agency is past the first few days there might be more potential takers...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I see no reason to waive him. If he can't be traded, then use him. When healthy he is still a top four defender. If he gets hurt, LTIR him and get a better result than waiving him. But I reckon he will be traded, even if it is just for a third rounder or something insignificant.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think the problems moving him are A) the injuries he's had in the last two season and the fact he is still injured, B) the fact that at $4m that's a significant gamble even on a 1 year deal when he hasn't really been a $4m player at anypoint and C) he's actually paid a lot more ($5.5m) this year than his cap hit.

That said there are still plenty of teams out there that could make use of him and once the free agency is past the first few days there might be more potential takers...

I think the consensus is that he will be cleared this month so his status as injured I don't think is a concern, it just may delay the trade.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I could see a cap floor team acquiring him (basically for free or a 7th rounder) and hoping he stays healthy enough to trade him to a contender at the deadline.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Just wait until the free agent market has dried up.

Someone will take a chance on him. He is still young, has upside, signed for only 1 more year.
If not, they can still waive him later, or trade him while retaining salary.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I know Meszaros has gotten hurt, but people act like he's half-dead when it comes to his 1-year contract. It should still be that if someone wants him, they should come get him. Flyers don't need to waive him until October.

He also wasn't waived yesterday, so they're not buying him out unless they acquire a player who is going to arbitration, which they couldn't do anyway since he's hurt.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad