GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 6

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Brighton lose tomorrow and this weekend will be an epic failure...

TFC lose 5-0 and now Arsenal 1-0...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Under was also fantastic after he came on.

Leicester started without their best centerback, best fullback, best midfielder, and best forward and still managed to win the game against a fit Arsenal squad.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How is your guys backline better than ours? :laugh:
Not sure if you have watched Arsenal this season, but Gabriel is EASILY better than anyone United have and I would say that Tierney is better than any fullback of yours as well. Plus Luiz, not sure what happened to him is better with the ball than any United backline player and Saliba has better potential than any United player. What I meant by the Mustafi comparsion is, you lot have like four players who all have the potential to make one shit play in a game causing a goal against.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
How is your guys backline better than ours? :laugh:

Statistically, both United and Arsenal are quite good defensively, a lot better than Spurs and Chelsea defensively. Judging by both games this weekend, probably a 0-0 again.

But no, SEPH is wrong. AWB and Lindelöf are both good players, just like Gabriel and Tierney.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Statistically, both United and Arsenal are quite good defensively, a lot better than Spurs and Chelsea defensively.
Which statistics are those? In 2019-2020:

Manchester United: 36 GA, 38 xGA
Tottenham: 47 GA, 54 xGA
Arsenal: 48 GA, 57 xGA
Chelsea: 54 GA, 41 xGA

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Which statistics are those? In 2019-2020:

Manchester United: 36 GA, 38 xGA
Tottenham: 47 GA, 54 xGA
Arsenal: 48 GA, 57 xGA
Chelsea: 54 GA, 41 xGA

Emery goals don’t count. In 19/20, Arsenal conceded 37 goals in 25 games under Emery, and 22 goals in 25 games under Arteta

In 2020, Arsenal have conceded 25 goals in 24 games, United 25 in 23, Chelsea 35 in 24 and Tottenham 26 in 23. Tottenhams defensive woes have worsened dramatically as of late though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Statistically, both United and Arsenal are quite good defensively, a lot better than Spurs and Chelsea defensively. Judging by both games this weekend, probably a 0-0 again.

But no, SEPH is wrong. AWB and Lindelöf are both good players, just like Gabriel and Tierney.

If not for two freaky own goals, United would have three consecutive clean sheets.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Emery goals don’t count. In 19/20, Arsenal conceded 37 goals in 25 games under Emery, and 22 goals in 25 games under Arteta

In 2020, Arsenal have conceded 25 goals in 24 games, United 25 in 23, Chelsea 35 in 24 and Tottenham 26 in 23. Tottenhams defensive woes have worsened dramatically as of late though.
What were the xGAs over that time? Goals against isn't a pure measurement of defensive play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I never said they didn't have good players, but if we're going to compare those four players together on this campaign...Gabriel has been the best of the bunch easily and Tierney projects better than AWB does (even if AWB is a solid player).

Lindelof is a shit player, but I know you love Sweden so no point in arguing further from what I've already said.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not sure if you have watched Arsenal this season, but Gabriel is EASILY better than anyone United have and I would say that Tierney is better than any fullback of yours as well. Plus Luiz, not sure what happened to him is better with the ball than any United backline player and Saliba has better potential than any United player. What I meant by the Mustafi comparsion is, you lot have like four players who all have the potential to make one shit play in a game causing a goal against.
Tierney is at best as good as AWB and that’s still pretty generous. Also who cares is Luiz is better on the ball when he’s a liability in every other aspect of the game?

Reactions: Jussi and Gecklund

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
What were the xGAs over that time? Goals against isn't a pure measurement of defensive play.

xGA is a worse measurement since xG is incredibly flawed and does not account for how the game looks at all times, since it only looks at shots. Plenty of ways to create and concede non-shot chances. The sample size is large enough for goals conceded to be a better determining factor.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I never said they didn't have good players, but if we're going to compare those four players together on this campaign...Gabriel has been the best of the bunch easily and Tierney projects better than AWB does (even if AWB is a solid player).

Lindelof is a shit player, but I know you love Sweden so no point in arguing further from what I've already said.

Well, regardless of how you spin in, the backline has to consist of AWB- Maguire/Lindelöf - Gabriel - Tierney. Can’t see an argument against it besides maybe Saliba but Arteta is for some reason not playing him. Lindelöf was brilliant again yesterday, just like against PSG, and is a top 10 CB is the league, but ok.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
xGA is a worse measurement since xG is incredibly flawed and does not account for how the game looks at all times, since it only looks at shots. Plenty of ways to create and concede min-shot chances. The sample size is large enough for goals conceded to be a better determining factor.
Goals conceded doesn't tell you whether the goalie is the issue, the defense, or both, it just tells you how many goals were conceded. Chelsea for example was much better defensively last year than their goals against indicated, because Kepa was statistically one of the the worst goalies in Europe at making saves. xGA in a single game is a flawed measurement, over a larger sample size it's pretty good.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Goals conceded doesn't tell you whether the goalie is the issue, the defense, or both, it just tells you how many goals were conceded. Chelsea for example was much better defensively last year than their goals against indicated, because Kepa was statistically one of the the worst goalies in Europe at making saves. xGA in a single game is a flawed measurement, over a larger sample size it's pretty good.

No, goals conceded is definately more realible. Teams have different defensive styles that can be effective in different ways, some teams invite the opponent to shoot as long as they don’t play a pass through them, which can lead to a poor xG. I do not think Kepa was that bad either, he was below average but Chelsea allowed too many dangerous chances, not all of which are registered highly by xG because it is flawed. Wait and see until the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad