GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 28

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Still should take a bow Mahrez. When he plays like this I think he can play anywhere but he sadly doesnt do it enough.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They're talking about it and you honestly cant help but laugh about the explanation. After viewing it more its clearly a red and a penalty. They even showed the enhanced version of it. The questions the guys were asking all made sense. They know its a penalty but the ref didnt call it and VAR deemed it not clear and obvious. Sooooo they just pick and choose at this point lol. Take it down, more harm then good. Only thing clear and obvious is that they dont know how to use it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They're talking about it and you honestly cant help but laugh about the explanation. After viewing it more its clearly a red and a penalty. They even showed the enhanced version of it. The questions the guys were asking all made sense. They know its a penalty but the ref didnt call it and VAR deemed it not clear and obvious. Sooooo they just pick and choose at this point lol. Take it down, more harm then good. Only thing clear and obvious is that they dont know how to use it.

One of the replays I saw (although only once) seemed to show him getting the ball just barely.

Either way it wouldn't be a red since it's a challenge on the ball.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
One of the replays I saw (although only once) seemed to show him getting the ball just barely.

Either way it wouldn't be a red since it's a challenge on the ball.
It was close but its a no for me. The enhanced replay was clear. Its most definitely a red he literally had an open goal. regardless of its a challenge on the ball.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Must be a weird EPL rule.... should be a red. If only this money was spent on better products. :P

KDB+FODEN iniesta and Messi! What a combo

Nah, it's in the IFAB rules:

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That doesnt speak about last man back, just comments on inside the box. It also implies any foul would be a red

"which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity"

The rule says that a DOGSO foul inside the box is a yellow + pen if and only if it's an attempt to play the ball otherwise it's a red.

This was unquestionably an attempt to play the ball.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
"which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity"

The rule says that a DOGSO foul inside the box is a yellow + pen if and only if it's an attempt to play the ball otherwise it's a red.

This was unquestionably an attempt to play the ball.
What's an obvious goal-scoring opportunity though pretty subjective to me. I can see what you're getting at though. Personally for me these should be a red.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What's an obvious goal-scoring opportunity though pretty subjective to me. I can see what you're getting at though. Personally for me these should be a red.

Yea DOGSO is definitely subjective. The official rules state as much and don't try to define it specifically:

The following must be considered:
• distance between the offence and the goal
• general direction of the play
• likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
• location and number of defenders

They had changed this a few years back to prevent the triple punishment of giving up the pen, being sent off, and then getting a 1 match suspension due to the red on top of that.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Kun's Movement is still there had good power on it but looks understandably slow. Hoping he gets more mins. Pep is still afraid I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00