GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 22

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Whilst football keeps rules that leave the difference between conceding or not conceding 2 odd goals down to silly margins like perceived intent, the job for top managers is extended to aiming to win games by enough margin to negate this.
Another reason attacking football is a must

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Thanks for the clarification. To me it was a horrendous decision. I didnt watch the halftime show or check social media so I'm not sure how the pundits are reacting to this. The color analyst during the game thought it should be overturned.

Moutinho, wow.

Watched the NBC halftime show. They were saying that because it's a DOGSO situation, a red is the correct call even though it was accidental.

I think it's a case where, just like the City offside goal, that interpretation of the rule is absurd. Although at the same time, it's hard to give a penalty for a foul but not give a red given how the DOGSO rule is written.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The biggest and I mean the biggest misconception about penalties is that because there is "contact", it has to be given a penalty. Football is a contact sport, some contact and physical play should be okay in the box (which normally is during corner and free kicks). It's not Luiz fault if the Wolves player running hits his knee.

I am just f***ing shocked that VAR did not overturn this, doesn't every red card go straight to VAR? How can you say that's a red card plus a penalty when reviewing it....

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
We are witnessing corruption of the highest form. This call is the difference between top 4/6 and 12th.

Reactions: S E P H

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The biggest and I mean the biggest misconception about penalties is that because there is "contact", it has to be given a penalty. Football is a contact sport, some contact and physical play should be okay in the box (which normally is during corner and free kicks). It's not Luiz fault if the Wolves player running hits his knee.

I am just f***ing shocked that VAR did not overturn this, doesn't every red card go straight to VAR? How can you say that's a red card plus a penalty when reviewing it....

But again, given how the DOGSO rule is written, it's either a pen and a red or nothing. Luiz's actions (where it chose to run) prevented the Wolves player from running onto the ball in the box. That it's a pen seems really obvious and, unfortunately, if it's a pen without a challenge on the ball, it's also a red.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I seriously don't understand how any of you are shocked VAR didn't overturn this. This is how VAR has worked, it's been terrible from the start. Being frustrated with how weak penalties are awarded is one thing, and I completely disagree that they award them for almost anything like in this case where they shouldn't be awarded, but how can you be shocked that VAR didn't overturn? They have awarded penalties like this, even worse ones than this, even in situations where the official didn't call it on the field. They shouldn't be doing so, but that is how it has worked and it's been a joke for a long time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
But again, given how the DOGSO rule is written, it's either a pen and a red or nothing. Luiz's actions (where it chose to run) prevented the Wolves player from running onto the ball in the box. That it's a pen seems really obvious and, unfortunately, if it's a pen without a challenge on the ball, it's also a red.
If that's the case, then every single shirt pull should be reviewed on every corner kick and given as a penalty. Additionally, any arm grab or jostling for position - which happens in every single match - in the box should be given as a penalty as well. This sport is so sissy some times. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I actually want a European superleague so we can get out of the corrupt English game.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
That is where I have a problem with the rule. If it is in the box and is a dogso where the defender makes a play for the ball, I dont think a red card should be assessed too. A penalty is enough. If it is outside the box, I agree with a sending off.

Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The rule for reference:

International Football Association Board | IFAB

Denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

So based on that, the only options are no foul or pen + red.

Reactions: Blender

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That is where I have a problem with the rule. If it is in the box and is a dogso where the defender makes a play for the ball, I dont think a red card should be assessed too. A penalty is enough. If it is outside the box, I agree with a sending off.

Right, if the defender makes a play on the ball it's not a red. But Luiz did not make a play on the ball. So unfortunately the only options are no foul or pen + red.

Reactions: Blender

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Happy to see Pepe get a wonder goal, but I have missed the game.
I wonder where some HFB pundits will go hide if 1/Pepe finally finds his form and 2/ Neymar extends for 4 years (well that part is already done)

Minds = blown

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He didn't make a play on the ball, so once they decided to award a penalty they also had to give a red. That's the rule unfortunately.

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
It was never a foul in the beginning...

He got clipped by Jose trying to shoot...he didin't make an attempt to foul him...

just BRUTAL REF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad