GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 17

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Honestly, the way the league is going, I kinda think City will end up running away with it. Liverpool are dropping points left and right, difficult to see United keeping their run going indefinitely, City meanwhile seem to have come back from their early troubles to reliably churn out wins.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Calmly stating facts and people will say he blew a gasket and beat up an old lady.
Yup.

Liverpool was bad. Officiating was also bad.

was reading that from that guy who does the VAR stats that 13 of the ‘subjective’ VAR calls have gone against LFC, and the next worse team has had 5 go against them.

This is a broken axle season. Nothing is going their way. No breaks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yup.

Liverpool was bad. Officiating was also bad.

was reading that from that guy who does the VAR stats that 13 of the ‘subjective’ VAR calls have gone against LFC, and the next worse team has had 5 go against them.

This is a broken axle season. Nothing is going their way. No breaks.
Tbh, it's fair in a way because it rained gumdrops last year.

It's just frustrating because it didn't need to and if we had average luck both years, we win both titles.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
"Calmly stating the facts"? I'm sure Mourinho thinks he is doing the same thing, but somehow Liverpool-fans (and others) tend to interpret that in a different way.

He is not complaining the same way a person who enters a meeting room saying "I'm not going to disturb" for then to spend the next 10 mins talking isn't disturbing anyone.

Not that I mind much what he said in the interview after the game tonight (the one I saw). I´m with Michael Owen on how those situations were handled, but I don't mind that a manager thinks otherwise. That was not the moaning Klopp we see some times in my opinion.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No chance, he's here for the duration. He loves it here. He runs absolutely every aspect of the club. 1st and 2nd team, tactics, youth recruitment, scouting and transfer policy.

He is Southampton.

Do I think he will leave, yeah eventually. But right now this is his home and he's doing amazing things.

Cool. I hope he stays. I love it when proper "smaller" clubs find a manager that works - especially when they play football like Southampton do. Also I want him when Mourinho leaves :DD

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"Calmly stating the facts"? I'm sure Mourinho thinks he is doing the same thing, but somehow Liverpool-fans (and others) tend to interpret that in a different way.

He is not complaining the same way a person who enters a meeting room saying "I'm not going to disturb" for then to spend the next 10 mins talking isn't disturbing anyone.

Not that I mind much what he said in the interview after the game tonight (the one I saw). I´m with Michael Owen on how those situations were handled, but I don't mind that a manager thinks otherwise. That was not the moaning Klopp we see some times in my opinion.
I have no problem with Mourinho.

His team just lost a tough game, what's he supposed to say? "We're a terrible team and I give up. Bobby Firmino can have my wife."

Players suck, they get benched. Managers suck, they get fired. Referees suck, the wheel just keeps turning. I have absolutely no sympathy when they're put on blast.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jeez, you guys.

Liverpool had zero legitimate penalty claims today and there is zero basis to invoke officiating to whitewash the loss.
I’m not white washing at all. Just sharing topical information. As I said I still think that’s a handball in the box, but didn’t have any other major issues. Liverpool being bad and the Ref being bad are not mutually exclusive.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I have no problem with Mourinho.

His team just lost a tough game, what's he supposed to say? "We're a terrible team and I give up. Bobby Firmino can have my wife."

Players suck, they get benched. Managers suck, they get fired. Referees suck, the wheel just keeps turning. I have absolutely no sympathy when they're put on blast.

As I said I didn't mind it much, but there are ways to talk about the game without discussing decisions you felt you didn't get.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
They sat back a lot more in the second half, but the first half they pressed Liverpool off the field. Southampton under Hasenhuttle have been brilliant with their pressing work and counterattacking.

Arsenal or Chelsea should consider Hassenhuttl, to be honest. Didn’t do worse than Nagelsmann at Leipzig either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp was right and we should have had a penalty. That being said it would only be one point. I would like to go back to what was said about touches in the box. Yes, we are getting touches in the box. However, our CM turned CB's can't win the ball as high as our regular CB's, and because of that our fullbacks are overlapping far less. It's just a really shitty way for Liverpool to play football and they aren't used to it.

Also, the idea that officiating is something that shouldn't be criticized is profoundly ridiculous. For some time this season it appeared that Everton could challenge Liverpool. They got away with having two guys absolutely thug our players and received no punishment. Tell me more about how that's fair. Regardless I'm more focused on how the team is playing, but I think the manager is certainly obliged to complain.

Reactions: Burner Account

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Any video of the penalty claims?

I didn’t watch much. Only one I saw was the weird decision to award a goal kick when the Southampton defender got the ball away from Salah and then took him down.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I didn’t watch much. Only one I saw was the weird decision to award a goal kick when the Southampton defender got the ball away from Salah and then took him down.
There was another shout for a handball that I missed and a clear dive by Mané

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Also, it's the inconsistency of it that's an issue with me. They've given those as penalties to most other teams. It's a shot on target blocked by the arm.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Also, it's the inconsistency of it that's an issue with me. They've given those as penalties to most other teams. It's a shot on target blocked by the arm.

I think that would have been given in the first few weeks, but post week 6 or whatever it’s not a handball.

Now that they can take into account natural position, that one shouldn’t be given since there’s basically nowhere else he can have his arm.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
No, Liverpool did not deserve a penalty. That's a completely normal arm position as the player is rotating his body and diving to block the shot. Never a penalty.

The others were Mane dives. Klopp whining about how the ref "treated" Mane was quite rich.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What constitutes a handball has become just as annoying as what constitutes a kicking motion. My solution has always been this: anything off a skate is no goal. At least it's consistent.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Consistent doesn’t mean good.
In this case, I think it does.

Sure, there will be accidental and harsh calls. I'd rather have a few rough breaks here and there than these f***ing philosophy debates.

Luck is always a factor. Completely subjective interpretation doesn't remove that, it just compounds the variables.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
In this case, I think it does.

Sure, there will be accidental and harsh calls. I'd rather have a few rough breaks here and there than these f***ing philosophy debates.

Luck is always a factor. Completely subjective interpretation doesn't remove that, it just compounds the variables.

I would rather have a few 50/50 calls go against my team and disagree with the ref than have a call that no reasonable person ever believes is a handball result in a decisive penalty.

If you want some “any contact with the arm/hand is a foul” type interpretation, it would have to include cases where a players arms are literally against his body or behind his back.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would rather have a few 50/50 calls go against my team and disagree with the ref than have a call that no reasonable person ever believes is a handball result in a decisive penalty.

If you want some “any contact with the arm/hand is a foul” type interpretation, it would have to include cases where a players arms are literally against his body or behind his back.
I'm not against any grey area at all. If the arms are against his body, that can be let go.

Same as if a puck deflects off of a skate unwittingly. The problems started when they put in this whole you can "redirect" the puck nonsense. Nobody knows what redirecting it means and I would argue that redirecting it is f***ing kicking it.

Same thing here. If it would have hit your chest but hit your tucked arm first, fine. Now we've got this bullshit where guys' arms are flailing around like Bayley buddies and the ref has to arbitrarily decide if he could have helped it or not.

Sometimes you can't help kicking somebody in the face. It's still a foul if you do it.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad