GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 15

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Arsenals main problems have always been mental demons when it comes to giving the ball away so cheekily. When you can’t make a pass yet want to play the entire game with passing sideways and backwards…it is just a matter of time before someone makes a stupid pass that leads to a goal against.

Lokonga has been our best midfielder and somehow gets benched. Partey is awesome but shouldn’t be playing based off his form. Nketiah is the biggest fake striker in the EPL…doesn’t want to sign anew contract…yet…gets on the pitch before Pepe. Then Auba misses a strike he should probably hit. This coach just does NOT get it.

What strikes me is the leaving the passes to the last minute in the back like they think they're so far above everyone else that they can f***ing TOY WITH THEM? what makes them think they can play like this ffs

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I mean, the one was obviously offside but he should have had 2

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What strikes me is the leaving the passes to the last minute in the back like they think they're so far above everyone else that they can f***ing TOY WITH THEM? what makes them think they can play like this ffs
For FFS indeed! I've noticed that as well.

100% right on the money on everything...

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Based on what?
Unai Emery is one of the biggest underperformers around in every league season.

Between 2012/13 and 2015/2016 he never once finished in the top 4 with an incredibly good Sevilla squad. The season after Emery left, they instantly finished in the top 4.

After his tenure at Sevilla, Emery went to PSG and lost the league to Monaco in his first season, before winning it in his second season. He still underperformed in his title winning campaign though, and struggled to get the best out of some high profile names. Mbappe scored 13 league goals in 2017/18.

He then went to Arsenal and finished 5th before starting the next season poorly and getting sacked in November.

He then took over a Villareal team that finished 5th and took them down to 7th. They are now in 13th.

Emery is good at going far in the Europa League. 4 EL titles and a runners up medal is impressive. But he is good at nothing else. At every other level, Emery has been a pathetic underperformer. In both of his seasons with PSG he never made it past the round of 16 in the Champions League. He never got out of the group stage with Sevilla in 4 seasons.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
He's good

Arteta should use him in a back 3 with Pepe and Saka as wingbacks, Smith Rowe, Lokonga and Partey in the mid, Auba and Laca up front

I like the idea of Arsenal playing a back 3 and I think they have the squad for it. However. I think they should go with a 3-4-3, as ESR is so much better on the wing than centrally.

Reactions: John Pedro

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I rag on McFred in the midfield a lot, but boy am I glad we don't have Partey/Xhaka.

You mean one of the top CMs in the world in Partey? :laugh:

Dude is in absolute shambles. Like I said a while ago, doesn't have a clue what to do with the ball in his feet, he can take it away, but after that, he's lost.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I like the idea of Arsenal playing a back 3 and I think they have the squad for it. However. I think they should go with a 3-4-3, as ESR is so much better on the wing than centrally.
I would go 3-4-2-1. Something like:
aubameyang
ESR - Odegaard/Laca
Tavares/Tierney - Partey - Lokonga/AMN - Saka
Gabriel/Tierney - White - Tomiyasu
Ramsdale​

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I would go 3-4-2-1. Something like:
aubameyang
ESR - Odegaard/Laca
Tavares/Tierney - Partey - Lokonga/AMN - Saka
Gabriel/Tierney - White - Tomiyasu
Ramsdale​
Not sure you want Tomiyasu as a RCD either. He was under par there in Italy. Play White there and Gabriel in the center, it minimises White's lack of physicality and takes advantage of his ball playing skills

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Man, couple of losses and the knives are out.

To be fair, anyone who was pumping Partey was crazy to begin with. We went over this when he was signed and I wasn't the only one who said this. Another Arsenal fan among numerous other people also said it was a bad signing.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not sure you want Tomiyasu as a RCD either. He was under par there in Italy. Play White there and Gabriel in the center, it minimises White's lack of physicality and takes advantage of his ball playing skills
Perhaps, although I would actually prefer the CB push up more and the LCD and RCD spread a bit wider, with the DCMs dropping in. It would look a little more like:

Aubameyang
Lacazette - ESR
Tavares - Partey - Lokonga - Saka
White
Gabriel - Tomiyasu
Ramsdale​

It would be weaker on the counter on long balls to the corners and right up the middle, but the latter should be relatively safely dealt with by the keeper and the former isn't too troubling as long as appropriate recovery runs are made

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
To be fair, anyone who was pumping Partey was crazy to begin with. We went over this when he was signed and I wasn't the only one who said this. Another Arsenal fan among numerous other people also said it was a bad signing.
I don’t even know if it’s just him. A couple good results against mediocre sides doesn’t mean the turnaround was complete

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Saliba takes that spot at RCB next year unless Arsenal completely stupid

Reactions: bluesfan94

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If he was in the air (say mid-stride), that line would kinda make sense but yeah.

Be prepared.
I am very prepared for Arsenal to wind up selling him to PSG because there is no evidence that Arsenal know what to do with him or even want to use him other than empty quotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad