PL Matchweek 6

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think Lovren is better than a lot of the junk that plays week in and week out, but he's not a great defender. He also hasn't played consistent minutes in two seasons now. I wouldn't put him in the top 10 just on that alone. I would need a couple of weeks seeing him play to make that call.

Lovren sorted his sh*t out under Klopp after that Spurs game (but yes, system had something to do with that as well, as well as Roberston emerging).

He was perfect in Liverpool's first CL run (including the City tie and the final), fantastic in Croatia's WC run, but paid for for playing through the injuries with an abdomen surgery at the start of last season.
Even so, once he came back he went straight back into the starting 11 in the City 0-0 game, and Gomez/TAA rotated at right back.

His second injury though (cup match), forced him out again, and Matip has been lights out since then.
He (Lovren) can't complain about being on the outside as long as Matip plays like he has been.
(and I don't think he does complain, that's part of the reason why Klopp's so good, from everything I've seen his guys truly do put team first more so than on most other teams)

He's not playing now as he's behind Matip who took his shot and Gomez who is younger and can play RB (and gets most of his minutes there).
But he's still the same dude who played his brains out in the WC and in the Lpool CL run - and will be there if Klopp needs him.

For Croatia, he's been phenomenal. Not just the WC, our defense with him looks so solid and without him looks lost.

He's grown up, matured, and is a quality CB. Had some injury issues, but I definitely wouldn't pick more than 7-8 CBs in the EPL to play for Croatia over him, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00