GWT: PL Matchweek 37

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Oh, the other fun scenario.

United beat West Ham 5-3 then lose to Leicester 1-0.

Both United and Leicester are on 65 points with +29 GD, and 68 goals scored, thus tied.

They’d need to have a one game playoff to determine who finishes above the other.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That circle jerk for Brendan Rodgers and Leicester earlier this season isn't looking too good now.
It isn’t?

Have they had a bad season then? Losing a bunch of their best players for critical parts of the season and not having much depth hasn’t really helped them. To put it in perspective they’ve been atrocious post COVID break but they’ll still finish well above Arsenal.

Doubt many people had them in this position going into the season. Think they’ve done quite well even if they fall out of the CL. Don’t really understand the obsession with calling things choke jobs. Their collapse hasn’t been great but this has been a weird season in general. Some teams have just not found their feet post break and Leicester is one of them (missing Ndidi, Pereira, Chilwell and Soyuncu for this one hasn’t helped).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Murphy's Law is the only explanation I have for LC. I never thought they were as good as they were before C19, but no way are they this bad losing the way they did to the Spurs who've been a joke for the entire 19-20 season.

Also nice to see the Saints finish the season as well as they are, all the Red fans were laughing that they got 20 million or so for Ings, but he's making you lot eat those laughs. Now I understand he was never going to start or even sub for a team as deep as KFC, however, he's looking like an intelligent buy for Soton.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nobody feels bad about selling Ings. That's what happens when a team wins big trophies. They move the player on and their fans are happy for the player being successful elsewhere. Someday you may understand this.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I’m happy for Ings, always liked him and thought he was good depth to have. He was unlucky in his time with Liverpool but I’m glad he’s doing well at Southampton.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nobody feels bad about selling Ings. That's what happens when a team wins big trophies. They move the player on and their fans are happy for the player being successful elsewhere. Someday you may understand this.
It's true I don't understand because the players we've sold have been...

- Walcott
- Iwobi
- Ox
- Ramsey
- Wilshere

None of them have been good elsewhere for certain reasons such as injuries or just straight up talent issues. The ones that ring the bell towards your point were Fabianski and Fabregas. One obviously went to a premiere team in Barca, then to a direct rival who was booed by half of the Gooners, whereas the other one is still appreciated by Arsenal fans even though he didn't really have a deep connection with the fans.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
It isn’t?

Have they had a bad season then? Losing a bunch of their best players for critical parts of the season and not having much depth hasn’t really helped them. To put it in perspective they’ve been atrocious post COVID break but they’ll still finish well above Arsenal.

Doubt many people had them in this position going into the season. Think they’ve done quite well even if they fall out of the CL. Don’t really understand the obsession with calling things choke jobs. Their collapse hasn’t been great but this has been a weird season in general. Some teams have just not found their feet post break and Leicester is one of them (missing Ndidi, Pereira, Chilwell and Soyuncu for this one hasn’t helped).

When they were in their hot streak people were saying how great Rodgers was. how Leicester was on the rise, how they have great defensive depth, etc. Nothing about how it was a nice run and that they were over achieving.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It would have been a miracle to take that team to top four to begin with. Is it a chokejob when the team isn't that good? They had some really poorly timed injuries to contribute to their collapse as well.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When they were in their hot streak people were saying how great Rodgers was. how Leicester was on the rise, how they have great defensive depth, etc. Nothing about how it was a nice run and that they were over achieving.
Rodgers is a very good coach to do what he’s done with Leicester. Weren’t they just commenting about how good their first team was but that they lacked depth? I don’t remember anyone saying they had great depth. Some comments about how they took 80m for Maguire and replace him with a better defender in Soyuncu.

Don’t think them having a rough end to the season under very weird circumstances changes it being a great season for them and that they’re on the rise, especially since their owner and management seem pretty intent on continuing to improve.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Rodgers is a very good coach to do what he’s done with Leicester. Weren’t they just commenting about how good their first team was but that they lacked depth? I don’t remember anyone saying they had great depth. Some comments about how they took 80m for Maguire and replace him with a better defender in Soyuncu.

Don’t think them having a rough end to the season under very weird circumstances changes it being a great season for them and that they’re on the rise, especially since their owner and management seem pretty intent on continuing to improve.

If you said, in August, Leicester was going to finish the season with 62-65 points and be in the running for a CL place on the last matchweek, basically everyone would have bet against you.

Them “collapsing” at the end of the season doesn’t mean it’s any less of a great job by Rodgers to have them in this spot in the first place.

Reactions: YNWA14

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Arsenal fans crapping on Leicester is amusing to say the least.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Funny how everyone is now downplaying the circle jerk. Reminds me of the circle jerk you guys had on Spurs.

Reactions: S E P H

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Yes, this is pretty accurate. I was high on their best 11 and I'm still high on their best 11. Their midfield has decent depth and their best midfield is very very good. They lack depth, especially at a few key positions, and their wingers outside of Harvey Barnes have under performed this year. Soyuncu has had a better season than Maguire overall, and was bought for quite cheap last year.

No matter where they finish here, they still had a great season and are on the rise based on the age of their squad.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yes, this is pretty accurate. I was high on their best 11 and I'm still high on their best 11. Their midfield has decent depth and their best midfield is very very good. They lack depth, especially at a few key positions, and their wingers outside of Harvey Barnes have under performed this year. Soyuncu has had a better season than Maguire overall, and was bought for quite cheap last year.

No matter where they finish here, they still had a great season and are on the rise based on the age of their squad.

You're assuming they won't sell. They couldn't keep Mahrez and Kante after winning the EPL and playing in CL. What makes you think they can keep Ndidi, Tielemans and Soyoncu? And they also need to replace Vardy soon.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You're assuming they won't sell. They couldn't keep Mahrez and Kante after winning the EPL and playing in CL. What makes you think they can keep Ndidi, Tielemans and Soyoncu? And they also need to replace Vardy soon.
The transfer market is very depressed right now, I don't think anyone is going to put up the cash needed to land any of their key players. Next year is likely where they may have problems, depending on where they finish.

Honestly clubs should be all over Ndidi, he's one of the best midfielders in the Premier League and doesn't get the recognition he even deserves.

They absolutely need to replace Vardy, that should be a top priority for them to sign a striker to replace him eventually.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Funny how everyone is now downplaying the circle jerk. Reminds me of the circle jerk you guys had on Spurs.

I said Chelsea should finish 10 points ahead of them. The Spurs circle jerk was good though. There were a lot of people who thought they would challenge for the league title with no real basis behind it. Their squad was bad, Poch wanted to replace most of their squad, everyone should have seen this coming.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yea, this most certainly isn’t their best XI.

They’re missing their best defender, their best playmaker, and their stud fullback.
Yup, they had no Soyuncu, Ricardo Pereira, James Maddison, or Ben Chilwell today. So their 3 best defenders and their best playmaker.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Safety has officially come for Brighton. Happy for Potter-ball to continue in the top flight next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad