GWT: PL Matchweek 11

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I thought Emerson looked best of the squad.

OK. I can't see how, but I'm not necessarily the correct answer here.

He gets to the corner of the 16 yard box - and from there nothing happens.

Also extremely poor finish when get got to the end of that cross.

He wasn't bad - just average in my opinion. A game to build on for him I guess - as he has struggled at times.

Skipp was our best for me. The three CDs and Højbjerg also did well. Romero you expect to do well, but with Dier and Davies you never know. Davies was very solid.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Difficult to disagree. They are probably more vulnerable to injuries than some of the other teams fighting for 4th though. I also wonder how many more goals from set-pieces they can score for the remaining part of the season. They got quite a few headers so I expect them to do well, but as an example United hasn't scored from a set piece yet this season. Could see there being some regression to mean.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Difficult to disagree. They are probably more vulnerable to injuries than some of the other teams fighting for 4th though. I also wonder how many more goals from set-pieces they can score for the remaining part of the season. They got quite a few headers so I expect them to do well, but as an example United hasn't scored from a set piece yet this season. Could see there being some regression to mean.
They were actually on a cold streak from set-pieces to start the season. Didn't get one till the 8th game, I think. They have good delivery and like four different players that are among the best in the league at attacking the ball in the air. Not surprised they lead in that category, with Cresswell and Bowen pinging them in.

Agree about the injuries. Cresswell for example, never sits. They need another LB to give him cover. Antonio has well documented injuries with no backup striker and the drop off from Rice/Soucek to Noble/Kral is astronomical. And of course the Thursday cup matches.

Liverpool crossing wasn't great today, didn't create nearly as much as I expected and Fabianski didn't have a ton of work. Surprised Klopp continued tucking TAA inside, his gaps were almost entirely how West Ham attacked on the counter.

Reactions: Burner Account

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's still a really long season. Lot of time between now and then.

It's clear Liverpool need to get a midfielder. West Ham deserved the 3, though, admittedly, Alisson was extremely poor. Need your world class goalkeeper to play like a world class goalkeeper, even if he's getting roughed up a bit. West Ham are a good side, who know who they are, and are tactically sound. they also have some players who are much better than people give credit (though, admittedly, some are limited).

Rice's ability to read the game from midfield is really good. I think the idea of moving him to central defense is looking worse by the minute. He could do it, but man, he's a quality player.

Liverpool had some chances, and I think they'll be disappointed not to have stolen a point, but it happens.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So nice of Liverpool to lose the weekend before Arsene Wenger's Movie, INVINCIBLE comes out, becoming the last team to lose a game this season in the 11th matchweek and therefore fullfilling footballs first ammendment :
Bow To Greatness

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
They were actually on a cold streak from set-pieces to start the season. Didn't get one till the 8th game, I think. They have good delivery and like four different players that are among the best in the league at attacking the ball in the air. Not surprised they lead in that category, with Cresswell and Bowen pinging them in.

Agree about the injuries. Cresswell for example, never sits. They need another LB to give him cover. Antonio has well documented injuries with no backup striker and the drop off from Rice/Soucek to Noble/Kral is astronomical. And of course the Thursday cup matches.

Liverpool crossing wasn't great today, didn't create nearly as much as I expected and Fabianski didn't have a ton of work. Surprised Klopp continued tucking TAA inside, his gaps were almost entirely how West Ham attacked on the counter.

I would expect WH to be among the top 3 in goals from set-pieces, but at some point United will start scoring some as well.

Just in the last couple of weeks Everton, Spurs and Liverpool have been beaten after goals from set-pieces.

Not suggesting WH is only a set-piece team, but certainly been a factor lately. Will see for how long it lasts.

Reactions: Rob

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our only win against top 10 competition outside of Man United was Crystal Palace in 10th.

The domestic results have been underwhelming for a long time now.

It has to be tactical. In Europe, we're still making good teams look like college sides. The teams in England have seen all the tricks. Salah was completely sequestered today and our crossing was shut off. It makes us ripe for the counter when we don't break through.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- That Manchester derby was a bloodbath, it realistically could have been 5-0 at the half time alone if it was for de Gea going back into his prime mode. Holy shit, he made some brilliant saves. Also Cancelo is amazing, could be the best left back in the league. That pass on the second goal was probably the most pure accurate pass of the entire season to date, even if Shaw made a complete mess of it.

- I understand that Liverpool was able to score two today, but very hard to judge WHU since they were beyond tough to breakdown. They allowed Reds to have more of the ball, but were able to pretty much hunker-down to trench warfare with two backs of four. Only mistake they did in the match was going to sleep on TAA's free-kick, but after that they were brilliant. I would be worried if I was a LFC fan, Arsenal in amazing form and only two points back from the Reds. Probably shaking, knowing that a high velocity cannonball going past the speed of sound will fry Liverpool's pigeon into proper KFC, extra crispy I might add.

- Didn't watch Arsenal today as I legitimately couldn't, so not sure what happened except that Auba did his best to not score goals I guess...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
- Didn't watch Arsenal today as I legitimately couldn't, so not sure what happened except that Auba did his best to not score goals I guess...
And prevent his teammates from scoring too.
Basically, Arsenal scored on a goal that shouldn't have counted, Auba missed a pen and then Odegaard scored, or thought so, before Auba jumped like crazy to touch the ball before it went in to ensure of the offside.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
- That Manchester derby was a bloodbath, it realistically could have been 5-0 at the half time alone if it was for de Gea going back into his prime mode. Holy shit, he made some brilliant saves. Also Cancelo is amazing, could be the best left back in the league. That pass on the second goal was probably the most pure accurate pass of the entire season to date, even if Shaw made a complete mess of it.
Cancelo is one of the best if not the best this season on the ball. Always been his main talent. He's still not great defensively though, but that isn't a problem at Manchester City until it is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What the bloody hell is this dark age sport when I am just discovering that you now need two players back to have it be considered onside? Who the f*** wrote this rule book?

They pretty much rewarded Ben Foster for being an absolute dimwit and getting out of position as Saka's legit goal was deemed illegal. Good job EPL, great bloody job.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So you like rules that reward incompetence? Again, Foster was out of his position due to his own volition and Arsenal were clearly punished for this. I am sorry, but that makes no effin' sense...
You can say this about the last man back on all offside decisions.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea offside has always been second last defender.

Almost all the time that means last outfield player as the keeper is behind them, but that’s in no way a requirement:

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

Reactions: Jussi

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What the bloody hell is this dark age sport when I am just discovering that you now need two players back to have it be considered onside? Who the f*** wrote this rule book?

They pretty much rewarded Ben Foster for being an absolute dimwit and getting out of position as Saka's legit goal was deemed illegal. Good job EPL, great bloody job.
Huh? You didn’t know that? How, that’s been the rule forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad