GWT: PL Matchweek 1

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Rice is a good player. I don't think he comes in and solves potential defensive frailties on his own. They have some talented players there, they just need to sort it out, and hope the keeper can play at replacement player level and not screw the pooch.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Alonso being beat is not your main defensive issue and you know it. The organisation as a unit is horrendous.
Yeah, and we also had Chilwell, Silva, and Azpilicueta out. And for as bad as the defense is or was, yesterday was actually an improvement, especially from a CB partnership perspective. Zouma was always solid last season, but Christensen was much better than he was at times last season.

And the comments that some Arsenal fans had out our strategy yesterday, it should be obvious that we are going to play a counter-attacking style in the beginning. You need team chemistry to break defenses down, so right now our best bet to score is to lure defenses in and hit them on the break with our speed.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, and we also had Chilwell, Silva, and Azpilicueta out. And for as bad as the defense is or was, yesterday was actually an improvement, especially from a CB partnership perspective. Zouma was always solid last season, but Christensen was much better than he was at times last season.

And the comments that some Arsenal fans had out our strategy yesterday, it should be obvious that we are going to play a counter-attacking style in the beginning. You need team chemistry to break defenses down, so right now our best bet to score is to lure defenses in and hit them on the break with our speed.

Right now your best bet is to play progressive football with players who create a balanced team and are adjusted to Lampards style of play ( whatever that is, he seems to vary a lot). Your attack was ridiculously direct with no natural wide creator. For now, I would instead start

Odoi - Mount - Pulisic

Werner

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We had the 3rd highest possession % last season, we know that's what Frank ideally wants to play. Pressing and possession in a very basic sense. Until our offense gels, I imagine we are going to play on the break. That's the practical strategy right now. Provide as much cover for the defense as possible and use Werner's speed. Once Pulisic gets fully fit, it'll be even more dangerous. After a month or so when players get settled and chemistry develops, we can start playing like we ideally want to.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not sure how much of Chelseas relatively high possession numbers last season are a result of Lampards ideals or the possession game Sarri installed in the players the previous year. I think Lampards best games so far have been when he has been getting fluid football going in the final third through playing progressively, which has worked pretty well, but he has been extremely inconsistent and used a very large variety of set ups, tactics and lineups so it is impossible to know his way of playing.

I still think Arteta and Solskjaer are more promising tacticians.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not sure how much of Chelseas relatively high possession numbers last season are a result of Lampards ideals or the possession game Sarri installed in the players the previous year. I think Lampards best games so far have been when he has been getting fluid football going in the final third through playing progressively, which has worked pretty well, but he has been extremely inconsistent and used a very large variety of set ups, tactics and lineups so it is impossible to know his way of playing.

I still think Arteta and Solskjaer are more promising tacticians.
So Lampard gets none of the credit for the positives and all the blame for the negatives. Got it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So Lampard gets none of the credit for the positives and all the blame for the negatives. Got it.
Frank is in the head of all opposing fans. They still hate him from his playing days. At the end of the day, season 1 was a massive success for him. All that matters at this point in season 2 is results, once we get halfway through, then I'll start to care about how we actually look in games.

Reactions: Blender

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

In the post you quoted I neither credited or discredited him. I am just not sure about him. He deserves some credit for getting great fluidity in attacks and harder working players than Sarri. But the jury is very much out.

And no, Lampard is not in our heads, I am much happier with Arteta thanks. I liked him as a player too, the only old school Chelsea legend that wasn't an absolute idiot.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Do you think Leeds can bring in enough revenue to maybe be a top 5-7 team again? Would love to have another competitive team in the Prem and it's nice seeing them back and doing well like they used to. I know the population of Yorkshire is huge but I have no idea how it's split up and what team revenue would be like. Newcastle obviously doesn't benefit but they have a shit owner.

Leeds could conceivably challenge for the top 5-7 at some stage in the next 3-5 years. Elland Road's relatively small size in comparison to their owners will be a handicap, in addition to the distance they have fallen behind economically after more than 15 years out of the top flight.

Their academy has been fairly prolific over the last 20 years or so, which is a potential source of strength that could help quicken their advance.

While Yorkshire is England's biggest county, I suspect the local pride of its cities and towns makes it unlikely one club will ever manage to emerge as 'Yorkshire's team'. The area's strong rugby tradition is a further complication. Yet another is the traditionally ugly image of a section of Leeds' support.

Whatever the cause, bear in mind that the last time Leeds were English champions, 1991-92, Sheffield Wednesday enjoyed higher average crowds. No team from Yorkshire has ever topped the English attendances table.

A successful Leeds might gain more fans among East Yorkshire's fairly small population (Hull and the surrounding area), but you're unlikely to see them make inroads in South Yorkshire, which falls under Sheffield's shadow. It bears notice that even now, having declined from their near-promotion in 2017, Wednesday is commanding average crowds of 24,000. Sheffield United these days speak for themselves.

The north-east of England and Yorkshire are two distinct places (from a North American perspective 98 miles may seem like a trip to the local store, but on the journey from the far corner to the self-styled God's Own Country you see and feel a difference). As such, Newcastle United and Leeds United impact upon each other little irrespective of how the clubs fare. Only in North Yorkshire might you see a modest degree of competition for the attention of those fans who aren't drawn to the nearer Middlesbrough - who themselves pull an average 23,000 per game. But those fans might just as easily plump for a major trophy contender from the north-west or even (eugh) London.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00