GWT: PL gameweek 29 leftovers

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure where to put this because I couldn't find the other gameweek thread, but that was some brilliant positive football against LC. Under Arteta, we've seen that Arsenal goes through these winning streak spells followed by some ugly losses in a row and I still expect much of the same under Mikkel. However, this current run has been some of the best football I've seen since prime Wenger and I mean that. Everyone put in a shift today from Martinmessi, Ramsdale, Partey, Cedric, and others. I wanted to mention White by himyself because he was unbelievably good and needed to be relied on when LC was starting to control the game like ten minutes or so right before the first half whistle. I am not expecting to beat Liverpool because their current run is like the team they were two to three years ago, but Arsenal have been nuclear missile level good at the Emirates since the start of 2022 and played City off the pitch even when Xhaka/Gabriel/ref were idiots. Picture how amazing this team would be if we replaced Xhaka with Santi Cazorla? Holy smokes...

Also I very much dislike Anthony Taylor, but the reffing was very good today. One of the best games he's reffed in years.

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Ronaldo really turned back the clock vs Tottenham, truly inspiring performance (Atleast Brady thought so:D). It shows his game time needs to be managed appropriately, as he can't keep playing every 3/4 days like he was for a while and maintain a solid level at his age.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Ronaldo really turned back the clock vs Tottenham, truly inspiring performance (Atleast Brady thought so:D). It shows his game time needs to be managed appropriately, as he can't keep playing every 3/4 days like he was for a while and maintain a solid level at his age.
Probably one of those rare moments.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

It does, but Ronny needs to realise this himself. Part of the mentality that made him one of the GOATs is also the mentality that will refuse to accept that he's 37.

Also, it doesn't help that we've had no Cavani, Greenwood Martial, and Rashford is MIA.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
It does, but Ronny needs to realise this himself. Part of the mentality that made him one of the GOATs is also the mentality that will refuse to accept that he's 37.

Also, it doesn't help that we've had no Cavani, Greenwood Martial, and Rashford is MIA.
All true, and ensuring Lindgard with additional responsibility doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

A coach needs to be strong enough an possess enough clout to manage Ronaldo's minutes better than they have been this season. Zidane was brilliant at it during his reign at Real Madrid, there were a lot of tough moments of friction when he was subbed off or missed the occasional game vs a minnow/cup match etc, but it paid off in spades.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Partey has really started to come into his own after a lackluster first season @ the Emirates. He has been exciting to watch during this win streak!

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
He's a very good player. That's clear. But I think it's a bit premature to say he's the best at his spot in the EPL.
I think so too. What I said was that he has been the best in 2022 however, and I stand by that.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So, what? 5 matches?

That's way too small to base anything.
The point of the comment was to illustrate how good his form is

But yeah, overall I think he is the second or third best 6 in the PL. Rice is the best.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Considering he started 2022 crashing out of AFCON, getting red carded in minutes and being subsequently suspended from matches... I guess it could be reflected to say, his last month has been great.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Salah not in training today. Had to come off Brighton game early with foot knock (not the medical term)

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Well, they don't need to worry about managing his minutes that much if both Portugal and Man Utd crash out of WC/CL soon.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Makes it a tad more interesting. Liverpool still has to be flawless which is damn near impossible in this league.

Still, if they both hold serve until 4/10: should be a cracker of a game.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Lot of pressure on that club, and some of the usual suspects are gone. I can clearly recall sadly the amount of clutch goals Aguero would get when they needed. Fernandinho not playing a part really, Sterling an after thought, Dias hurt, still no striker, and players like Grealish never having gone through any important matches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad