Eklund Rumor: PK Subban to the Penguins being discussed, return could include Phil Kessel

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The Penguins had 6 goals in 4 games in the 1st round...

I know Subban had a down year, but do people forget he was 3rd in Norris voting last year? From the way some people are talking about him in here, you'd think he was a heavily overpaid #4 defenseman.

Uh, this year we was an overpaid #4 defenseman.

You need a true number one center. If the Preds are targeting Duchene then Subban's cap hit needs to be subtracted and not replaced. If they are not targeting or miss out on Duchene then Subban should be moved for futures someone who can fill that void.

Johansen is more than fine as our no.1 C, we need a no.2 C who isn't an AHLer. If we get Duchene and trade for Kessel we have a very great top 6 on paper.

JOFA
Granlund-Duchene-Kessel

and a top four of Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Fabbro can still be very sturdy.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yeah, this isn't even a possibility for Pitt unless there is retention from Nashville. Like to the point where Nashville wouldnt be saving anything. In short, its not gonna happen.

We can add Duchene without moving PK.

It doesn't necessarily have to be PK, but surely you would have to trim from somewhere on the roster, right? You have 8M in room for next year, with a Josi extension on the horizon. I assume Duchene is going to command at least 9. Is it for sure that Turris is going to be moved on for a package that brings back very little salary?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Kessel and Sullivan don't get along so something has to give. If the salary can be made to work (maybe the Preds take Johnson for a 3/4th line forward add), than I like this deal for the Penguins.

Subban is a lot better than people give him credit for, only negative is, like Letang, he is injury prone.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Kessel and Sullivan don't get along so something has to give. If the salary can be made to work (maybe the Preds take Johnson for a 3/4th line forward add), than I like this deal for the Penguins.

Subban is a lot better than people give him credit for, only negative is, like Letang, he is injury prone.

That was kind of my line of thinking as well. Just not sure what forward Nashville would include. The cap hits would need to stay pretty even so that Watson, pitlick, salomaki area

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Please no. Fire JR if he does this. Subban is not even that good at actual defense, which is the problem that got us swept.

And I don’t want any part of Smith either. Just a bad deal all around please stay far away from that JR.

Trade Kessel to the Preds for Ellis and Jarnkrok, then flip Ellis to Anaheim for Fowler. That would be so, so much better.
Subban is better at actual defense than he is at actual offense these days.

But never mind that... nobody wants to hear that... if you would rather have Ellis, I think a good number of us in Preds land would be more than happy to oblige. On the fan side. Poile will not be so amenable to moving Ellis, unfortunately. I don't think I'd ultimately balk at including Jarnkrok either since he's fairly useless... don't think it should be necessary, but what the heck, I would still far rather give up Ellis and Jarnkrok than Subban of course, so it's all good.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This is a huge steal for pens

Subban with thrive as a number 1 d playing with crosby malkin

Is it really a big steal? Subban has a high caphit, while Kessel's is low due to Toronto's retention. Pens would be better off with a cheaper Dman+forward.

Reactions: haveandare

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't think Johnson would be the plus, I think it would probably be Schultz. Something like Kessel and Schultz for Subban and Smith, with salary being retained on Subban to make his contract more manageable. Maybe Subban at $7.5 million? Retaining $1.5 million on Subban makes it basically an even salary swap, with the Penguins cutting $650k and the Predators adding $650k (compared to what they have now).

The Penguins would be losing the ability to add to their forward group with this swap, they'd have to settle on a 2nd line of McCann-Malkin-Smith (which I don't hate on paper, I'm just not in love with it), but their defense becomes really strong for the foreseeable future. Letang, Subban and Dumoulin as the top-3 is really strong.

Reactions: Sam Spade

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Does make some sense,Nash always seems to have great young defenders coming up through the pipe,but just cant seem to do the forwards...Pittsburgh seems to be the opposite...

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3