Eklund Rumor: PK Subban to the Penguins being discussed, return could include Phil Kessel

TyroneShoelaces

Jun 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
It makes as a nice base but does Pittsburgh need to add more salary to the defense and have Letang, Subban, and Shultz all on the right side? It's an okay base but other moving parts are needed. Either a multi-player deal, like 2 for 2, or a Letang/Shultz deal for a winger, 3c, or futures.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I imagine any Subban to Pittsburgh is way bigger than Subban for Kessel. I think it would be something like Kessel and Schultz for Subban and Smith, with Nashville probably adding a little bit (or retaining on Subban, which I'd push for). I really doubt it happens though, Subban at $9 million is an extremely difficult pill to swallow. They'd have to retain $1.5-$2 million just for me to bite on that swap, which probably wouldn't work for Nashville considering Subban's term remaining.

But just for laughs, Subban at $7.5 million and Smith for Kessel and Schultz is a pretty even salary swap for next year ($12.3 million to Nashville, $11.75 million to Pittsburgh) and in the future ($6.8 million to Nashville for the next 3 years, $7.5 million to Pittsburgh for the next 3 years).

Reactions: Extra Texture

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Doesn't make any sense if Letang is staying

I don't agree with this, I think there is a spot for Subban (if they retain some salary) with this defense:

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Subban
Not Johnson-Not Gudbranson

You just can't have a bottom pair making over $7 million if you want Subban.

Reactions: Giskard

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Please no. Fire JR if he does this. Subban is not even that good at actual defense, which is the problem that got us swept.

And I don’t want any part of Smith either. Just a bad deal all around please stay far away from that JR.

Trade Kessel to the Preds for Ellis and Jarnkrok, then flip Ellis to Anaheim for Fowler. That would be so, so much better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Please no. Fire JR if he does this. Subban is not even that good at actual defense, which is the problem that got us swept.

And I don’t want any part of Smith either. Just a bad deal all around please stay far away from that JR.

Trade Kessel to the Preds for Ellis and Jarnkrok, then flip Ellis to Anaheim for Fowler. That would be so, so much better.

The Penguins had 6 goals in 4 games in the 1st round...

I know Subban had a down year, but do people forget he was 3rd in Norris voting last year? From the way some people are talking about him in here, you'd think he was a heavily overpaid #4 defenseman.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

I know Subban had a down year, but do people forget he was 3rd in Norris voting last year? From the way some people are talking about him in here, you'd think he was a heavily overpaid #4 defenseman.
The penguins had many problems this year. We had 6 goals in 4 games sure, but Sidney Crosby only had 1 point.. I would argue that’s more of a fluke/anomaly than anything else.

Our defense on the other hand, pretty bad. Adding 9m for a guy that is honestly better at offense than keeping to puck out of his own net is not smart. Especially since we have Letang they are basically the same exact style player.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Subban can be an absolute beast at defense, he's just very erratic.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
But why? The pens have a pretty good right side with letang and Schultz. They need to upgrade their left side badly though.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

On this board, unless you're talking about generational talent like McDavid, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc... All players are garbage and no one wants them near their team, until they are, then they become worth a king's ransom and then some.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
On this board, unless you're talking about generational talent like McDavid, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc... All players are garbage and no one wants them near their team, until they are, then they become worth a king's ransom and then some.
Not true at all. There are plenty of players on Nashville I would like on my team. Subban is definitely not one of them.

Kessel for Ellis and Jarnkrok makes the most sense if Kessel goes to NSH. And even then we would probably flip either Ellis or Schultz. We just really don’t need a RHD

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Value is probably pretty close, but I seriously doubt the Pens would be looking to add salary in a Kessel deal.

I think Subban is a great player, but in the exact same ways that Letang is, and with pretty much all the same flaws. I dunno what having two legit #1 offensive defenseman would do for the Pens from a strategic standpoint. I guess it worked okay for San Jose this year?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
We need people who can score goals.

You need a true number one center. If the Preds are targeting Duchene then Subban's cap hit needs to be subtracted and not replaced. If they are not targeting or miss out on Duchene then Subban should be moved for futures someone who can fill that void.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
You need a true number one center. If the Preds are targeting Duchene then Subban's cap hit needs to be subtracted and not replaced. If they are not targeting or miss out on Duchene then Subban should be moved for futures someone who can fill that void.

We can add Duchene without moving PK.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad