OT: PK Subban Signed NHL 13 Cover, what is it worth?

seanFTW

Jan 13, 2017
Hey guys, sorry for this being my first post, I know it may not be kosher. I've been lurking for years and enjoy watching the banter but not participating in it haha. Anyways, I'm doing a purge of all my stuff and found something that I won a few years ago in a contest. I can't find anything similar to it, so have no idea how to value it, and figured you guys would be the best to ask, as I'm sure there are more than a few collectors on here.

So when NHL13 was coming out, EA Sports I believe ran a poll on who should be on the cover. Claude Giroux was the eventual winner, but PK Subban was in the running as well. They printed off a number of them and I believe sent them around for promotions and whatnot. Anyways, TheScore had PK sign some and then held a contest, which I won. So now I have this NHL13 cover with PK on it, signed. I can't even find the cover anywhere for sale, not ebay or anything, which makes me think this thing is pretty rare.

So first question is how much would you guys say this is worth? And next is, where do you think would be the best place to try to sell it? I was considering the memorabilia shop in the old Forum.

$_27.JPG

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
If it was released by EA, is truly rare, and the signature can be authenticated it's a pretty interesting piece. Would look great in a nice mat and frame. Maybe a $150 piece to the right collector? If PK has a HOF career, much more.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If it was released by EA, is truly rare, and the signature can be authenticated it's a pretty interesting piece. Would look great in a nice mat and frame. Maybe a $150 piece to the right collector? If PK has a HOF career, much more.

I must be out of touch, but we're talking about a draft of a videogame cover.

It's not an actual rare item that got a limited release at some point. Just the plan B that was scratched completely.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't see you getting a fortune for it. Just look up how much a typical autograph of that size is and then add a certain 'rarity' premium(if at all).

I think something like that would be worth more if it were in the box, CD inside, unopened.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I must be out of touch, but we're talking about a draft of a videogame cover.

It's not an actual rare item that got a limited release at some point. Just the plan B that was scratched completely.

In the collecting world unissued/promo/withdrawn stuff can be worth a lot of money. Add in the sig and it could be pretty appealing to a Subban collector, assuming it isn't a home made job and is a true AE piece.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Even a #99 Autograph isn't worth much.. NHL memorabilia is a horrible market.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Those memorabilia stores will nickel-and-dime you because there's no guarantee that they'll be able to sell it to someone else. Until they find a buyer they're just paying you for something to take up space in their store. So unless they know they can move it quick, they won't give you much for it. You can always take it in and see what they say, but I wouldn't expect much.

I would just put it on eBay too. But if it's "just" the cover, I would at least buy a copy of NHL 13 on PS3 2nd hand (probably dirt cheap by now) and slip the cover inside. An auction for an autographed PS3 game with a rare cover will probably net you more than an auction for just a loose cover.

seanFTW

Jan 13, 2017
I appreciate all the replies guys, seems there are some very different opinions, so maybe just throwing it up on ebay and seeing what the market dictates is the best idea. I'm not really into keeping it around "just in case" as I'm trying to rid myself of those exact types of attachments haha. I'm not big into autographed memorabilia anyways, so really the only attachment I have to it is just seeing PK in a Habs jersey. I listed it on Kijiji for $50 and if no one takes it, off to ebay it will likely go.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really do appreciate it.

seanFTW

Jan 13, 2017
Those memorabilia stores will nickel-and-dime you because there's no guarantee that they'll be able to sell it to someone else. Until they find a buyer they're just paying you for something to take up space in their store. So unless they know they can move it quick, they won't give you much for it. You can always take it in and see what they say, but I wouldn't expect much.

I would just put it on eBay too. But if it's "just" the cover, I would at least buy a copy of NHL 13 on PS3 2nd hand (probably dirt cheap by now) and slip the cover inside. An auction for an autographed PS3 game with a rare cover will probably net you more than an auction for just a loose cover.

I wondered about that too, but putting it in a jacket will crease the cover, and I thought it might actually be better sans creases.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I wondered about that too, but putting it in a jacket will crease the cover, and I thought it might actually be better sans creases.

Nothing more than my personal opinion, but creased vs. uncreased would really only matter if someone was going to frame it...if it was an 8x10 picture of Subban that'd be one thing, but I can't imagine anyone is going to frame a video game cover. I think it would look better to buyers in the package.

But that's just my personal take, I'm no expert.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Nothing more than my personal opinion, but creased vs. uncreased would really only matter if someone was going to frame it...if it was an 8x10 picture of Subban that'd be one thing, but I can't imagine anyone is going to frame a video game cover. I think it would look better to buyers in the package.

But that's just my personal take, I'm no expert.

Expert or not I agree. I felt that the cover in an original unopened CD case would be much more attractive than a print out cover alone.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Don't fold it and put it in a case. You Completley destroy the value doing that. You could easily sell it for 100.00. If I was buying it which (I'm not) I would easily pay 100.00. However bent and shoved into the case of a game for which it never actually became the cover of I'd give you maybe 10 bucks.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Hey guys, sorry for this being my first post, I know it may not be kosher. I've been lurking for years and enjoy watching the banter but not participating in it haha. Anyways, I'm doing a purge of all my stuff and found something that I won a few years ago in a contest. I can't find anything similar to it, so have no idea how to value it, and figured you guys would be the best to ask, as I'm sure there are more than a few collectors on here.

So when NHL13 was coming out, EA Sports I believe ran a poll on who should be on the cover. Claude Giroux was the eventual winner, but PK Subban was in the running as well. They printed off a number of them and I believe sent them around for promotions and whatnot. Anyways, TheScore had PK sign some and then held a contest, which I won. So now I have this NHL13 cover with PK on it, signed. I can't even find the cover anywhere for sale, not ebay or anything, which makes me think this thing is pretty rare.

So first question is how much would you guys say this is worth? And next is, where do you think would be the best place to try to sell it? I was considering the memorabilia shop in the old Forum.

$_27.JPG

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

I have a beliveau game stick. It's worth about 50 bucks.

I'll give you 50 cents for the mag. Need a read.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

I have a beliveau game stick. It's worth about 50 bucks.

I'll give you 50 cents for the mag. Need a read.

I was working for the Flames in 1986 when the Habs won the Cup. Got Gainey's last used stick, after the Cup win, autographed. It was really only a souvenir for me. I gave it to a buddy who was also a die-hard fan for his 30th birthday. It was his pride and joy. Hehe not sure if he ever auctioned it. I doubt it because he was a collector and also bought a seat from the Forum. Wonder what he might have gotten though...

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I was working for the Flames in 1986 when the Habs won the Cup. Got Gainey's last used stick, after the Cup win, autographed. It was really only a souvenir for me. I gave it to a buddy who was also a die-hard fan for his 30th birthday. It was his pride and joy. Hehe not sure if he ever auctioned it. I doubt it because he was a collector and also bought a seat from the Forum. Wonder what he might have gotten though...

Now that's a collectable !

Great gift btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad