PK Subban “risky†or untrustworthy in defence, not according to this report

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It's the fact that he's capable of being so awful like the last two games yet still he able to take over a game that's so frustrating.

If he was a more steady player I'd have no trouble giving him a long term deal at top dollar. But it's games like tonight and last night that make me think he's not ready or at the level of a Doughty, Weber, Suter etc and shouldn't get that type of money.

He needs more time to become the great D he can be, but he's not there yet and the contract should reflect that.

He should be paid like Karlsson. Probably more.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

hes always been a risky player, thats why i wouldnt mind trading him if the return was good. hes not worth 9M

Let's not trade a young slumping player (like Price used to be), shall we...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
hes always been a risky player, thats why i wouldnt mind trading him if the return was good. hes not worth 9M

Oustide of Sidney Crosby, no player is worth 9M and outside of Drew Doughty, you'll never get a defenseman with Subban's upside. He's still a very raw player, but he's still a very inexperienced defenseman who's stepped up big in important games. The GM who trades him will never get a job in the NHL again.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Oustide of Sidney Crosby, no player is worth 9M and outside of Drew Doughty, you'll never get a defenseman with Subban's upside. He's still a very raw player, but he's still a very inexperienced defenseman who's stepped up big in important games. The GM who trades him will never get a job in the NHL again.

Weber and Suter are paid 14M and 12M respectively. Crosby gets 12M. Not Subban's fault you can't have BS years at the end of a contract anymore.

Agree with your sentiment though, he isn't being traded.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
PK is redefining the position of defenceman to be more bold. Both his successes and his failures appear huge, because that's how he rolls baby.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Subban plays way to much agressive since he heard he was named to the olympics... he is being super selfish and stubborn... he needs to get it straight now cause today he really really screw it up... he needs to play like he did last season... the points will come as last year and as of early this season no need to force it... just be smart PK. Right now your looking like a fool he think he is the big thing but not one on team canada played for the show but for the team and country.... tapping on the ice with his sticks when he is the youngest player im sure didnt gqve him any help towards how babcock was going to use him... cause he didnt played bad... but it looks so selfish specially at the olympics. Huge supporter of subban but he starts to get on my nerves... when he plays bad... he does Pejorative Slured things. Today was not an honest mistake. Its not a mather of being good or bad defensivy its a matter of taking the good decisions wich he isnt obviously recently.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Let's not trade a young slumping player (like Price used to be), shall we...

i wouldnt trade him either UNLESS the return was good, if it is then id pull the trigger without thinking twice about it. that being said if there arnt any worthwhile offers then id obviously rather overpay him by an extra 1-1.5M because you cant find players that have subbans skillset or impact on a game (when hes on)

all this could have been avoided if MB did his job properly last year

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Subban is struggling bad right now but instead of trying to figure it out the coaches just keep putting him in the same situations. He's your franchise player with Price, bend over backwards to get him going, serioulsly. It's not that hard to figure out.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Subban is struggling bad right now but instead of trying to figure it out the coaches just keep putting him in the same situations. He's your franchise player with Price, bend over backwards to get him going, serioulsly. It's not that hard to figure out.
The coach is killing him as well as the team.

GTFO MT.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

Like you said, he's our franchise defenseman. He should be playing in all situations.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Obviously P.K. is disturbed. Hes not playing the same he used too. I think the contract negotiations are probably not going his way or hes maybe wondering if he will be traded cuz of that.

If we trade P.K. or don't sign him I will be very very VERY ...upset.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Obviously P.K. is disturbed. Hes not playing the same he used too. I think the contract negotiations are probably not going his way or hes maybe wondering if he will be traded cuz of that.

If we trade P.K. or don't sign him I will be very very VERY ...upset.

Ever since that meeting with Bergevin he has looked shaken and distracted.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Like you said, he's our franchise defenseman. He should be playing in all situations.

If Subban is truly Montreal's franchise defenseman, nothing more has to be said about the comparative strength of the team.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If Subban is truly Montreal's franchise defenseman, nothing more has to be said about the comparative strength of the team.

You'd have a bit more credibility if you hadn't, on several occasions, claim Subban is a poor skater.

Also, your pronouncements that the U.S. was clearly the best team at the Olympics were just as heavily laden with obvious bias.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You'd have a bit more credibility if you hadn't, on several occasions, claim Subban is a poor skater.

Also, your pronouncements that the U.S. was clearly the best team at the Olympics were just as heavily laden with obvious bias.

I never said that Subban was a poor skater, only that this talk about his being this great, elite puck transporting defenceman is somewhat misguided. Subban has many skating strengths, lateral skating ability, edge skating and strength on his skates, but he lacks straight line speed which limit his puck transporting ability and recovery speed. Its all a function of a wide, clunky and inefficient skating stride. Unless he winds up around the net he has no chance of beating the first forechecker. And others teams know it. They attack Subban, they have increasingly little respect for his skating speed. As a result, Subban, on most occasions is forced to turn back or weakly and unproductively, just flip the puck out into the neutral ice zone. Fans complain that he overhandles the puck. The reason he does that is can't beat players with his speed and he is forced to use head and hand fakes from largely a stationary position thus exposing the puck. There was a reason Team Canada was hesitant to choose him in the first place and was reluctant to play him after he was selected. The limitations in his skating would have made him a liability. But of course the guys on this and other sites ( the 14 year olds and insurance salesmen) know more than the best coaches in Canada. Subban is an entertaining and controversial player, who I'm afraid is far more sizzle than substance. I for one would be very hesitant to make him one of the highest paid players in the game. He's just not worth it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I never said that Subban was a poor skater, only that this talk about his being this great, elite puck transporting defenceman is somewhat misguided. Subban has many skating strengths, lateral skating ability, edge skating and strength on his skates, but he lacks straight line speed which limit his puck transporting ability and recovery speed. Its all a function of a wide, clunky and inefficient skating stride. Unless he winds up around the net he has no chance of beating the first forechecker. And others teams know it. They attack Subban, they have increasingly little respect for his skating speed. As a result, Subban, on most occasions is forced to turn back or weakly and unproductively, just flip the puck out into the neutral ice zone. Fans complain that he overhandles the puck. The reason he does that is can't beat players with his speed and he is forced to use head and hand fakes from largely a stationary position thus exposing the puck. There was a reason Team Canada was hesitant to choose him in the first place and was reluctant to play him after he was selected. The limitations in his skating would have made him a liability. But of course the guys on this and other sites ( the 14 year olds and insurance salesmen) know more than the best coaches in Canada. Subban is an entertaining and controversial player, who I'm afraid is far more sizzle than substance. I for one would be very hesitant to make him one of the highest paid players in the game. He's just not worth it.

It appears you like the sound of your voice a little too much. I bet you reread your post and tapped yourself in the back as well.

Talk about over analyzing.

PK doesn't skate as well as say Doughty or Keith, but I fail to see how this makes him a poor skater, a problematic one, or that he's more sizzle than substance. What a seriously stupid conclusion.
PK is a great skater, but he won't win a skate race versus the fast skaters. Turning that into a problem is quite the stretch.
A poor skater is a guy like Douglas Murray, a rather mediocre skater is a guy like Gorges, a decent but slow skater is a guy like Markov. PK is a good skater. He has a slow acceleration, that's it. Don't try too hard to be an analyst because that will lead you to make some pretty insane conclusions like ''PK being liable due to his skating''.

People say he over handles the puck because he tends to hang on to it a second too long, or because he tries things when he shouldn't. That has to do with timing, not his skating ability.

And for all the crap people are saying ''there's a reason why he wasn't played for team Canada, and that's cuz he's too big of a liability'', well who in their right mind would choose a player that's a liability?? Would you? Why? I wouldn't.
We know why PK didn't play much on Team Canada, they had said it before the selections were even made. It has nothing to do with liabilities or what not.
Babcock said it himself, he likes having 3 RD and 3 LD. Doughty and Weber were locks due to their experience and impact in last Olympics. They weren't going anywhere.
That left one RD spot. Then came the chemistry factor with Pietro-JayBo. These spots were already talked about before the selection for the team was even made.
They opted to go with Hamhuis as the 7th guy because the left side was much weaker than the right one. It's that simple. Nothing to do with PK being liable. If he was, he wouldn't have been chosen to begin with.

So enough about this idea that PK is a bad skater because his first couple steps aren't fast. Such a dumb idea.
As for more sizzle than substance, I won't even address that. But you sure killed all your cred there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So much fail in this post...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad