PK on Bergevin: a lot of people gotta lay off of him now

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Words straight out of the mouth of PK during his press conference:

The downside is, ah you know, hearing some of the things that were said about Marc Bergevin, the organization, and Geoff Molson. That's unsettling for me because a lot of it isn't true. You know I... I... I've been close to the negotiations, I've been close to the conversations, and what... some of the things I've heard, it's a little bit disappointing to hear that, um, a lot of the people that know Marc Bergevin know that type of guy he is, he cares about his players, he cares a lot about his players, and I know he cares a lot about me, so he would never put a player in a position that would hurt him or hurt this team and this organization. He's been great for this team moving forward, he's made some great decisions for this team and the best interests of this team and a lot of people gotta lay off of him now, and I really don't want to hear those negative comments towards those guys 'cause they've done a great job and they've worked so hard to try and get this deal done.

So, if PK feels this way about Bergevin and you don't, what's your justification?

P.S. I reckon that anyone who uses the word "apologist" on HF never heard of the word before they joined the board. Those people who actually know what the word means have never used it to try to win an argument here.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I'm glad you opened this thread. Else, I would've done it. We feed of rumors and start insulting every human being in this organization the moment something gets a bit complicated.

Subban is one classy dude. He didn't have to do that but he did. Give him the C.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Thank you Bergevin for another 8 years of Pk Subban.
Im sorry for calling you a dumbass

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Pk loves MB, MB loves PK, did you expect anything else out of their mouths?

CLOSE THREAD IMMEDIATELY

That is all.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
PK is all class all the time. I love the guy and I am also a big fan of Bergevin. I haven't agreed with everything he has done but he has been a great GM for the most part.

TravisF

Jul 11, 2011
www.artbreak.com
I would love my boss too if he gave me 72 million dollars!!!! He wouldn't have felt the same if this last minute deal wasn't made. All is well though, now that P.K. is staying in Montreal for 8 years.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
With most of the work done on signing players,Coach's, Development Coordinator's and front office people. All that remains to be done is to make damn sure that every player in the Habs system is getting help making sure that they are following their workouts to the tee & dotting the i's as well. The Habs want to see competition for every position to be the best ever this summer, this way the people in charge can make solid decisions as to personnel being in their best place for success.

I can honestly say that i'm impressed with how quickly and efficiently, bergevin dealt with all the problems so early, as to lend time for the heads of each dept. to get their players started into programs that will have them ready before Training camp.

I'm hoping Mads Eller will be there Matt Murphy and quite a few others trying to land contracts for Hamilton, creating more competition for any and all jobs. It's good to keep everybody on their toes and their best shape, knowing that their are lots of faces trying to win positions can only be good for the team and the players.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
PK spoke same way before he got his deal. He said the negotiations were respectful and professional the entire time.

MB has his faults but we've seen on multiple occasions that he cares about the players. Look at when Eller got hit, he was waiting for him to get off the ice. The players take notice and respect it.

Should criticism be banned for MB? Nah. I'm just not convinced he's done as bad as people claim.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
PK spoke same way before he got his deal. He said the negotiations were respectful and professional the entire time.

MB has his faults but we've seen on multiple occasions that he cares about the players. Look at when Eller got hit, he was waiting for him to get off the ice. The players take notice and respect it.

Should criticism be banned for MB? Nah. I'm just not convinced he's done as bad as people claim.

Same with Parros come to think of it.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Good on PK for saying something

2 years in the league, a 2nd & 3rd place finish in voting for GM of the Year by his peers - people that actually get paid to be GMs

Took the team from last place in Eastern Conference to a Division title and a Kreider Kamikaze Attack away from a Finals berth

Gets bashed for DD & Emelin contracts - Go to the UFA market with what they're getting paid and see if you could do better - if you could even get them to sign amongst the 29 other teams

Gets bashed for the Briere signing - didn't work out and he turned him into PAP & a pick

Gets bashed for the bridge contract - PK won a Norris, without the Delorean and the flux capacitor who knows how he develops but it's all worked out even if it was higher than I wanted

Gets bashed for handling of Gorges trade - he had a trade worked out to improve his team, I'm sure it happens a hundred times a year but someone leaked the info and his hand was forced to do something else

Swindled Snow into getting Vanek at the TDL and then didn't sign him when half of the posters here clamoured for a 8x8 near seasons end

Turned Diaz into Dutch Gretzky

Working on transforming the team to big & skilled through the draft

Made the unpopular but correct decision to let Gio go

Not to mention best dancing GM we've probably ever had

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx

2 years in the league, a 2nd & 3rd place finish in voting for GM of the Year by his peers - people that actually get paid to be GMs

Took the team from last place in Eastern Conference to a Division title and a Kreider Kamikaze Attack away from a Finals berth

Gets bashed for DD & Emelin contracts - Go to the UFA market with what they're getting paid and see if you could do better - if you could even get them to sign amongst the 29 other teams

Gets bashed for the Briere signing - didn't work out and he turned him into PAP & a pick

Gets bashed for the bridge contract - PK won a Norris, without the Delorean and the flux capacitor who knows how he develops but it's all worked out even if it was higher than I wanted

Gets bashed for handling of Gorges trade - he had a trade worked out to improve his team, I'm sure it happens a hundred times a year but someone leaked the info and his hand was forced to do something else

Swindled Snow into getting Vanek at the TDL and then didn't sign him when half of the posters here clamoured for a 8x8 near seasons end

gotta love the truth

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

This is a little much. Bergie has done a decent job but I'm still not really impressed by anything, to tell you the truth.

You could have made the same case for Gainey at some point. :help:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
All the good MB had done would have been undone if we couldn't have come to terms with Subban yesterday. I should have had a bit more faith. There was no way they would eff this up.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I'll lay off of him for now, but I'm not going to sing his praises for signing our best player. This was a no-brainer from the beginning.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
If you look at Bergevin's full body of contract signing work, I think a discernible pattern now arises:

1. Typically fair, if not downright generous, to any key player that he resigns. DD, Emelin, Markov, Eller, and Subban's current contract are all now examples of that. The Subban bridge contract is the exception, not the rule. MB is ultimately willing to pay fair value to keep his top players.

2. That being said, MB's opening offers, and the length of negotiation, reflect the mind of a tough haggler. It's not that he's undervaluing his players, it's that he's a tough haggler that also wants to ensure decent cap management.

Keeping both of these in mind, we should expect that a lot of future RFA negotiations likely won't be resolved during the regular season, or in the first week of July after the contract is up. But it's likely not that there's bad blood between MB and the player in question, but instead that MB is just going to the limit in trying to achieve a reasonable deal for both the player, and the team.

It's still perfectly fair, of course, to disagree with some of MB's decisions and for Habs fans to have different opinions on his overall quality as a GM. However, I think MB has proven that he's committed to the team, he's committed to doing right by his core guys, and he's not crazy.

Remembering that when Gally and Chucky need to be resigned would probably be good for all of our psychological well-being. :laugh:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
People need to start trusting MB and what he is doing.

He has always been surrounded with good hockey minds and is one himself.

Not only is he a good hockey OPS guy but he is also a very good person (from what I can see).

MB along with Subban are here to stay, whether you like it or not.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
If you look at Bergevin's full body of contract signing work, I think a discernible pattern now arises:

1. Typically fair, if not downright generous, to any key player that he resigns. DD, Emelin, Markov, Eller, and Subban's current contract are all now examples of that. The Subban bridge contract is the exception, not the rule. MB is ultimately willing to pay fair value to keep his top players.

2. That being said, MB's opening offers, and the length of negotiation, reflect the mind of a tough haggler. It's not that he's undervaluing his players, it's that he's a tough haggler that also wants to ensure decent cap management.

Keeping both of these in mind, we should expect that a lot of future RFA negotiations likely won't be resolved during the regular season, or in the first week of July after the contract is up. But it's likely not that there's bad blood between MB and the player in question, but instead that MB is just going to the limit in trying to achieve a reasonable deal for both the player, and the team.

It's still perfectly fair, of course, to disagree with some of MB's decisions and for Habs fans to have different opinions on his overall quality as a GM. However, I think MB has proven that he's committed to the team, he's committed to doing right by his core guys, and he's not crazy.

Remembering that when Gally and Chucky need to be resigned would probably be good for all of our psychological well-being. :laugh:

I think we should sticky this post. So when I go a little off I can refer to this and calm the hell down.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

They will both get bridge deals so we shouldn't have to worry for another 3 or 4 years. Plus both kids have really good heads on their shoulders and love the Habs.

Should be easy to get them signed to something reasonable.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Pk loves MB, MB loves PK, did you expect anything else out of their mouths?

CLOSE THREAD IMMEDIATELY

That is all.

Exactly, you never hear different except in extreme cases. How many of you would go to the media with disparaging comments about your employer?

PricePkPatch*

This is a little much. Bergie has done a decent job but I'm still not really impressed by anything, to tell you the truth.

You could have made the same case for Gainey at some point. :help:

The guy actually gives out a list of Bergevin's moves, good and bad, to make his case.

You just say "this is a little much", a bland and vague commentary that backs nothing up.

If that is the extent of your argumentation, may I tell you to **** off? Actually make your case beside "I am still not impressed".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad