Switzerland: Pius Suter to the NHL?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The forward was the top scorer of the regular season and was voted league MVP by his peers. He's 24 and undrafted. According to his agent, he has several offers from NHL clubs. Three months ago, it was reported he wants to wait until July before he decides which one to choose.

In an article by The Athletic about possible European targets for the Chicago Blackhawks, Pius Suter is brought up as an option. The Lions-forward finished the 2019-20 season as the National League's best scorer with 30 goals and 53 points in 50 games. The 23-year-old apparently has several offers on the table, as the source cites an e-mail by Suter's agent Georges Müller. However, the player does not want to decide just yet. 'He is not in a hurry and wants to see first where the interested organizations are heading to,' Müller writes to The Athletic.
Source: swisshockeynews.ch (March 27)

"We have a plan", the ZSC star says. But his final decision will only be made in the summer.
Source: sport.ch (June 15) [German, translation by me]​

Last edited:

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I'd love to see him playing in the NHL, even though we're gonna miss him a lot here in Zurich. He was always consistent (except the rotten 18/19 season) and proved to be able to play both, centre and wing. He finished his last season as the league's top scorer with 53points (30/23), just 4 points less than Dominik Kubalik had in his last season in Switzerland (25/32). And even though Suter benefited from playing with Garrett Roe, it was still a very impressing season.

Only reasons I can see for him not joining the NHL is due to corona uncertainty how/when the league will continue.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Suter probably wants to wait this long to make his decision to get a good feel on how the rosters of the teams interested in him will look like next season, so he can choose an organisation where he has a realistic chance for decent ice time. Choosing the right team can make or break an NHL career, escpecially for an undrafted guy like Suter, so I am not surprised by this smart move from a player who always came across as very intelligent person off the ice.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Did pius Suter sign an NHL contract yet? I heared heard he has some offers. I dont know why he is waiting so long

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Did pius Suter sign an NHL contract yet? I heared heard he has some offers. I dont know why he is waiting so long

Moved to another thread which has an answer:

Suter probably wants to wait this long to make his decision to get a good feel on how the rosters of the teams interested in him will look like next season, so he can choose an organisation where he has a realistic chance for decent ice time. Choosing the right team can make or break an NHL career, escpecially for an undrafted guy like Suter, so I am not surprised by this smart move from a player who always came across as very intelligent person off the ice.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
According to Swiss newspaper Tagesanzeiger, Suter already has an agreement with an NHL club and is going to sign a one-year contract. The paper speculates it's the Chicago Blackhawks.

Source (German)

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Another newspaper, Neue Züricher Zeitung, is reporting a bit more cautiously. Suter says "a few clubs" are interested. But it seems obvious there is at least one offer that he likes and that's why he pulled the trigger on the release clause.

Source (German)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Before joining Chicago, Suter is going to start the season with GCK Lions, the farm team of ZSC Lions in the second league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad