Pittsburgh to Philly "You Got No Heart!"

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pittsburgh has a message for the City of Brotherly Love: “You got no heart, Philly.â€

A billboard was recently unveiled along I-95 near Lincoln Financial Field and the Wells Fargo Center in support of organ donation in Pennsylvania. It is sponsored by Donate Life Pennsylvania and is part of a call for Philadelphians to outshine Pittsburgh by encouraging fans to register as organ donors.

A matching billboard is displayed near Heinz Field in Pittsburgh to challenge fans there. The billboards are part of a month-long campaign to see which city has more heart and can register more residents to become organ donors. The winning city will be announced on December 21.

“Philadelphia is the greatest city in the world and we look after our neighbors, including those in need of a life-saving organ transplant. This competition will end up like it does any time our fans put their hearts into a good cause: with Philly on top. This month we want to beat Pittsburgh by registering more organ donors overall and increase the percentage of people in our region who want to give the gift of life,†said Howard M. Nathan, President and CEO of Gift of Life Donor Program.

While Pennsylvanians overwhelmingly support organ and tissue donation, fewer than half of residents have added the donor designation to their driver’s license, learner's permit or state identification card. More than 8,200 people need a life-saving organ transplant in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, someone on the waiting list dies every 18 hours on average. Thousands more wait for tissue transplants that would greatly enhance their quality of life.

Philadelphians can visit the website www.215HEART.com to register as an organ donor in just 30 seconds – and track the progress of our city versus Pittsburgh.

How about it - you guys up a little friendly competition?

PhillyBoard1_upclose_816x544.jpg

PhillyBoard2_fromcar_630x415.png

This message is posted with the approval of HockeysFuture.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And by the way, don't let Pittsburgh's smaller population fool you.

They actually have a higher percentage of their population signed up.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
This increases my chances someone from Pittsburgh would get my organs. Philadelphian's need to sign up.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Just as an aside, this thread has been approved by the site's administrators. Since it is a charitable endeavor, permission was sought and approved in advance.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
As well, you can also have the potential to be a live donor for organs like kidney, though this is an additional significant consideration and -- if you feel so inclined -- requires lots of testing. I went through the process because my wife is a kidney transplant recipient; I couldn't give to her because we weren't compatible (don't get me started :sarcasm:).

I can also bear testimony to how amazingly life-changing it is for someone to receive a new organ and regain his/her life. My wife was so blessed to have been matched with someone we didn't know who did sign a donor card, and who unfortunately died in an automobile accident, after less than a year of dialysis.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Always a good idea to be a donor. As BP just stated...you can change someones life even after you are gone.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Considering I plan on having all of my organs embalmed and buried in my tomb with me, hopefully just outside of my sarcophagus, I refuse to be a donor. They will serve me well in the afterlife.

Don't think I'm drafting a living will either, all my possessions shall be buried with me.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Considering I plan on having all of my organs embalmed and buried in my tomb with me, hopefully just outside of my sarcophagus, I refuse to be a donor. They will serve me well in the afterlife.

Don't think I'm drafting a living will either, all my possessions shall be buried with me.

At least sign over the organs of the 100 slaves you will undoubtedly have buried with you.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
At least sign over the organs of the 100 slaves you will undoubtedly have buried with you.

I'll donate the slave organs, but the organs of my 14 wives still belong to me. Gonna need those for eternity and beyond

I actually really like the idea of what's called a "sky burial", but that requires your family members to personally dismember you before presenting you to the vultures and I just can't imagine they'd be up for that.

Last edited:

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
That's actually a pretty cool way to raise awareness and motivate people. If I wasn't already a donor it would at least get me to look it up.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Can;t say enough good things about organ and bone marrow transplants. One saved one of my good friend's lives.

Get registered people!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I never really understood why someone wouldn't be an organ donor other than just not feeling like filling out the form or checking the box or however it is done.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Question for you 'Muricans: if you sign your donor card, does your family still have to give permission to have your organs procured after death? This has been a sticky issue in Quebec; despite a signature on the person's health care, the family has balked at giving consent at the hospital. To your point DFF, in this circumstance, the decision often becomes one of emotion in a terrible emotion-filled moment. I am unsure how binding the family consent is, to be honest.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Question for you 'Muricans: if you sign your donor card, does your family still have to give permission to have your organs procured after death? This has been a sticky issue in Quebec; despite a signature on the person's health care, the family has balked at giving consent at the hospital. To your point DFF, in this circumstance, the decision often becomes one of emotion in a terrible emotion-filled moment. I am unsure how binding the family consent is, to be honest.

I've never faced the issue (thankfully), but my thinking is that if you sign up as a donor then you are a donor, regardless of your what your family says. Is this something that happens in Canada??? Someone is an organ donor and the family tries to stop it? Why would someone do that?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hi guys, just a quick update.

After a month of friendly but spirited competition, Philadelphia has emerged victorious over Pittsburgh in the challenge to decide which city can register more Pennsylvania residents as organ and tissue donors.

Because of this competition, we now have the potential to save more than 500 lives and make a life-saving difference for 3,150 people in our state.

Thank you everyone for your support.

While the competition between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh has concluded, residents throughout Pennsylvania are busy making holiday plans and thinking of resolutions to start the New Year on the right foot.

Donate Life Pennsylvania’s new mobile-friendly registration – www.DonateLifePA.org/registration -- allows residents to register as organ and tissue donors in 30 seconds – making it an easy New Year’s resolution to keep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad