News Article: Pittsburgh the self proclaimed "Mecca of Hockey"

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Isn't it every kids dream to play in the NHL in Pittsburgh with their parents watching in the stands?

Ewan McGregor*

ANYONE who's ever been to Pittsburgh (or even around it) knows that city is owned by the Steelers and the Pens pales so hard in comparison. Anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot.

Mecca of Hockey? More like Mecca of Bandwagon

driver3000

Dec 17, 2011
Niagara
That's odd. They didn't become the "mecca" until they won a random lottery. Before that I seem to recall empty arenas. Hmmm.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Does that guy have a twitter? If so he's probably getting bombarded right now, hehe. He can't possibly believe Pittsburgh is the mecca. I don't know what you'd call them...those people stayed away from mellon arena like the plauge until Crosby showed up.

Due North

Mar 16, 2010
That's odd. They didn't become the "mecca" until they won a random lottery. Before that I seem to recall empty arenas. Hmmm.

Wait when they get bad again and the team goes broke because of
lack of fan support. F*%$# them. Thats when the'll move to Hamilton.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Not only that we are only 4500 posts behind the Habs board on HF. Made up 9000 just since the start of the season.:)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't mind this article, anytime Americans are interested in our game, I take this as a compliment. Having visited Boston, I have to say the Mecca of hockey in the USA is Boston. I have heard MInnesota is, but Bostonians favourite sports hero is still Bobby Orr, with all their great sports figures, that's quite the compliment.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Half of my old high school decided to become pens fans as soon as they had won a cup. Half of the Pittsburgh fan bases is built on a bandwagon and a lie. Team has a strong core but atleast the leafs don't need our bills paid for by the League just to stay alive.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
I don't mind this article, anytime Americans are interested in our game, I take this as a compliment. Having visited Boston, I have to say the Mecca of hockey in the USA is Boston. I have heard MInnesota is, but Bostonians favourite sports hero is still Bobby Orr, with all their great sports figures, that's quite the compliment.

Good post.

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
Not only that we are only 4500 posts behind the Habs board on HF. Made up 9000 just since the start of the season.:)

Just for this reason, I am going to start posting more lol

So does the "Hockey Mecca Championship Belt" go on the line everytime we play eachother? Or are we the champs again until this time we meet in the play-offs?

peety16

Apr 12, 2011

One trip to the Minnesota State High School tourny and you'll realize why Minne is the state of hockey. I will say though that the sport is starting to catch on across the border which is nicd but frustrating at times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad