Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Post TDL World!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Onward to the postseason and beyond. For salary cap purposes, basically the next big thing is expansion draft where it is f***ing absurd LV is not a part of.

I wondered that too. Looking at recent history of expansion teams it was always 2 teams added the same year. It might be because they wanted that way originally but it didnt happen. So LV as an expansion themselves would of been exempt to the 2nd team.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Onward to the postseason and beyond. For salary cap purposes, basically the next big thing is expansion draft where it is f***ing absurd LV is not a part of.

Was probably agreed upon during the expansion process when they paid the 500 million fee. I think we might feel like its crap because they have had so much success out of the gate. Its actually been really impressive how good they have been.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wondered that too. Looking at recent history of expansion teams it was always 2 teams added the same year. It might be because they wanted that way originally but it didnt happen. So LV as an expansion themselves would of been exempt to the 2nd team.

My biggest issue... the whole point of Vegas getting the slam dunk start was because the owners said they didn't want Vegas being behind. They kept saying they want Vegas on an equal footing right away.

Well... they went to the Cup finals and are one of the prominent teams this year. IF they are on equal footing, then they should equally be in the expansion draft.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbf, Vegas get none of the expansion money. I'm not entirely sure why, and maybe that's absurd too, but it's pretty fair that the team that doesn't get paid doesn't give up shit. Might seem less fair if they nab a couple of nice pieces of teams from expansion problems but that's life

Also reckon there's not a lot to be said about the ED other than seeing who plays their way in and out of protection. Only interesting wrinkle I see at this stage is -

If we still don't like our LD after Dumo at season's end, can we wrangle a guy like Hanifin or Brodin or Ekholm from a team that's about to have problems, and make them our third protected dman?

Porting over.

Yeah, I wouldn't think it's the end of the window yet by any means (though it gets closer every year). That said, if we we fall flat in the postseason again this year, I'd expect to see a fair chunk of turnover in the off-season as Burkstall retool the roster, possibly including the coaching staff.

Also, as much as I would have liked us to pick up some physical players, I think it's fair that the new GM/POHOPS are giving Sullivan another year with his kind of roster and letting him make his best play with his kind of players. We'll see how he does, and as always, I dearly hope he proves me wrong on its viability in the postseason.

They did what I most wanted them to do most and that was just take what's given rather than force anything. Beyond fairness, running with the roster and game plan they have gives us the best chance because it's the plan we can follow most whole-heartedly. Guys like Foligno or Bennett could have helped that plan and give it an extra dimension but at that price, yuck.

Re physicality in the future - if you take a look at our prospect pipeline you'll notice a trend.

Poulin is big. Legare is big. Zohorna is really big. DOC's a little lanky for his frame but still a sizeable guy. Bjorkqvist is big. Puustinen's the only undersized guy among our best forward prospects. Rutherford's already been lining things up for a beef introduction for a while, and most of them can play too. We don't have the next Reaves there but if Hexturke takes the org in a generally more physical direction, that's not necessarily outside of the blueprint the org's had for a while and could as such move quicker than anticipated.

See how it goes I guess. My hope is, and remains, that they graft on a higher level of physicality around the net, on the boards, punishing on the forecheck, onto Sully's system without losing too much speed of play, which is more of a restoration to the B2B than it is a new concept anyway.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Poulin is big. Legare is big. Zohorna is really big. DOC's a little lanky for his frame but still a sizeable guy. Bjorkqvist is big. Puustinen's the only undersized guy among our best forward prospects. Rutherford's already been lining things up for a beef introduction for a while, and most of them can play too. We don't have the next Reaves there but if Hexturke takes the org in a generally more physical direction, that's not necessarily outside of the blueprint the org's had for a while and could as such move quicker than anticipated.

See how it goes I guess. My hope is, and remains, that they graft on a higher level of physicality around the net, on the boards, punishing on the forecheck, onto Sully's system without losing too much speed of play, which is more of a restoration to the B2B than it is a new concept anyway.

Agreed.

I think the size in the pipeline is fine, I just question whether Bjorkqvist, Legare, Poulin, and DOC will ever really put it together for the big show, so it would have been nice to have a legitimate hitter on the squad, especially since Tanev keeps re-injuring himself and is now out long term. I'm actually kind of worried that Tanev Melichar'd his shoulder. :shakehead

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just thinking out loud, but if Carter comes back next year, I wonder if they'd plan on keeping BART together as one bottom-6 line and have Carter play with some young guys like Zohorna, Lafferty, Angello and whatnot as the other bottom-6 line. I imagine they'd probably end up trading Zucker, having McCann slide onto Malkin's line and run with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Zohorna-Carter-Angello/Lafferty

I think their depth is a little questionable at that point, but it's "questionable" in the context that it's unproven. That bottom-6 can easily prove to be good next year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Agreed.

I think the size in the pipeline is fine, I just question whether Bjorkqvist, Legare, Poulin, and DOC will ever really put it together for the big show, so it would have been nice to have a legitimate hitter on the squad, especially since Tanev keeps re-injuring himself and is now out long term. I'm actually kind of worried that Tanev Melichar'd his shoulder. :shakehead

Roll 4 dice and you'll get a 6 most times (and I think most of them have better odds than that anyway).

As for that hitter today - I think Lafferty's just as good a hitter as Tanev and it looks like he's getting the shot for now with him out. Up to him to prove he's got the rest of the game to stick.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I know I asked this before, but I fail to find it in this maze of posts... so again:

To all you cap / money men out there (and women) who are in the know about this stuff, I ask you...
How does NHL player pay happen?

Do they get paid bi-weekly? How do they collect pay in the off-season? Etc etc etc... any other pay stuff that would be interesting too...

I'm just curious... I saw Rii getting 75k and I just wondered, what his pay checks were at before he got waived and now after...
Add: Also... why is the cap charged only 75k for Rii when he gets a mil... he doesnt have a 2way contract, hence waivers... is that some new cap thing (or old cap thing) I have no mind of?

THANKS!

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hope Lafferty turns into Tanev some day. I don't think he will, and I think he's pretty shitty tbh and shouldn't be a lineup regular when healthy, but he plays pretty much the exact same style. Not as talented with the puck as Tanev, which is saying something, but yeah. Hopefully some day sooner than later he can make it easier to move on from Tanev.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just thinking out loud, but if Carter comes back next year, I wonder if they'd plan on keeping BART together as one bottom-6 line and have Carter play with some young guys like Zohorna, Lafferty, Angello and whatnot as the other bottom-6 line. I imagine they'd probably end up trading Zucker, having McCann slide onto Malkin's line and run with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
McCann-Malkin-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Zohorna-Carter-Angello/Lafferty

I think their depth is a little questionable at that point, but it's "questionable" in the context that it's unproven. That bottom-6 can easily prove to be good next year.

If that's what the cap permits then yeah, that'll do, but my guess is the plan is for Carter to have a scoring L3 and BART to keep BARTing as a technical L4, and if they've got the cap they'll probably add one winger towards that in the summer. Overkill, but that's what the cool kids are doing these days.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I know I asked this before, but I fail to find it in this maze of posts... so again:

To all you cap / money men out there (and women) who are in the know about this stuff, I ask you...

Do they get paid bi-weekly? How do they collect pay in the off-season? Etc etc etc... any other pay stuff that would be interesting too...

I'm just curious... I saw Rii getting 70k and I just wondered, what his pay checks were at before he got waived and now after...

THANKS!

I can dig up the answers to the non-bolded questions later. But to answer the one bolded one: Riikola is on a one-way deal. This means he gets paid the same amount in the NHL and AHL. His cap hit is just reduced by $1.075M in the NHL. He's still getting his base salary of $1M this season for even being on the Taxi Squad.

Reactions: LOGiK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that's what the cap permits then yeah, that'll do, but my guess is the plan is for Carter to have a scoring L3 and BART to keep BARTing as a technical L4, and if they've got the cap they'll probably add one winger towards that in the summer. Overkill, but that's what the cool kids are doing these days.

I'd be fine with this too, because I'd like a better playmaking winger to play with Zohorna and Carter than who they can reasonably throw out there internally. But at the same point, I'm not sure that Zohorna-Carter-Lafferty is really all that different from Zohorna-Carter-ERod, so you'd probably have to target at least a good 3rd line winger (which probably costs over $2 million) for that to make a big difference.

I'm not against it, but I'm not sure if the team would do it. It's also possible that they'd get a RWer for Pettersson and throw that guy out there with Zohorna and Carter.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Sully weren't a factor, I'd like to see this;

Jake-Sid-Rust
Tanev-Geno-Kap
Zucker-McCann-Carter
ZAR-TB-Zoho/E-Rod

But we know ZAR-TB-Tanev will be a thing as soon as Tanev hits the ice again.

Reactions: TySmith4Norris

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I can dig up the answers to the non-bolded questions later. But to answer the one bolded one: Riikola is on a one-way deal. This means he gets paid the same amount in the NHL and AHL. His cap hit is just reduced by $1.075M in the NHL. He's still getting his base salary of $1M this season for even being on the Taxi Squad.

My dream job.

Yeah, someone posted their pay before, but I forget who... I should have saved it cause I knew I'd forget it and want to come back to it at some point.
I asked because I know someone here knows... just not sure whom.

add:
and thank you.

RSPens

May 25, 2015

I'm just curious... I saw Rii getting 75k and I just wondered, what his pay checks were at before he got waived and now after...
Add: Also... why is the cap charged only 75k for Rii when he gets a mil... he doesnt have a 2way contract, hence waivers... is that some new cap thing (or old cap thing) I have no mind of?

THANKS!
I just want to add that the 2way bs 1way contract has nothing to do with waivers. A two way contract pays a certain amount at the AHL level and a larger amount at the NHL level. Whether a player is waiver eligible or not is based on years played and age.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Can we please get away from talking about hockey and get back to debating whether it's better to live in Pittsburgh or Southern California?
I live in southern BC and my vote is for Pittsburgh. I loved my visit to the city in 2009 and I hope one day to get back.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Can we please get away from talking about hockey and get back to debating whether it's better to live in Pittsburgh or Southern California?

I'd choose neither if I could choose. Give me a few acres in the woods near a stream and a pond that freezes in winter to hockey on...

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

THANKS!

My dream job.

Yeah, someone posted their pay before, but I forget who... I should have saved it cause I knew I'd forget it and want to come back to it at some point.
I asked because I know someone here knows... just not sure whom.

add:
and thank you.

I just want to add that the 2way bs 1way contract has nothing to do with waivers. A two way contract pays a certain amount at the AHL level and a larger amount at the NHL level. Whether a player is waiver eligible or not is based on years played and age.

And to answer the other part: yes, they're paid bi-weekly. The CBA says "semi-monthly" payments but then also says "near the 15th and 30th". Reading through the CBA it appears the players are only paid during the regular season -- which for this COVID season is 116 days long. If you want to take a look at a standard player contract, look up Exhibit 1 in the NHL CBA.

Still using Riikola as an example, his salary for this season is right at $1M. This comes to $8621 a day. And since NHL players are paid about once every 15 days, Riikola's paychecks for this season are around $129k pre-tax.

Don't ask me about escrow. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot