Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: *pokes GMRH with stick* Do Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
yeah, but Petts’ contract sucks too...that’s basically what the article says..,with him having a down year so far as well, probably going to be nearly as hard to move him as Math in less than a month unless he plays a lot better...
Petts contract isn't great, but Matheson is more expensive, for an extra year, and he's 3 years older than Petts. In his down year, Petts is having a rather similar season to Matheson.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A 24th ranked PP for a supposed offensive team doesn't need correcting?

Trying to address that isn't "over correcting", it's simply correcting.

If you think the Pens are hopeless, no wonder you don't want to move any assets.

I do wonder what near future you're imagining that has us with a better group than we have right now.

The '89 Flames were the #1 team in the regular season, had the 2nd most goals in the league, and a ton of high-end talent. Nieuwendyk, Gilmour, Otto down the middle; Fleury, Mullen, Loob, and Gary F'n Roberts on the wing; and two HoF defensemen in MacInnis and Suter.

That team was a lot better than this one, and not just because of "depth". They had an incredible mix of elite skill and toughness at the top.
I'm fully aware of the Flames Talent and toughness. I'm the one who cited them in the 1st place. lol

My point was they had a lot of very good players but no generational talents. No Lemieux or Gretzky or Malkin or Crosby or Sakic even. It was more the fact that they came in waves and had insane depth. Loob, Macinnis, Mullen, Gilmour, Fleury, Suter, Roberts, Nieuwendyke and even Otto were all very good players, but none were Generational. Macinnis was probably closest to that distinction however. That's why we needed to beef up the bottom six here. We need quality depth and we simply don't have enough of it. This has been a problem since the off season. We needed to take some of the pressure off our aging core and we have failed in doing so. Garnering some balance throughout the line up was the only way (along with good goaltending) to making a run.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I tend to agree. I think people are also forgetting how overly conservative Hextall is. It was a big deal for him to claim Friedman, that was him being aggressive....

Also, didn’t the majority of the board say the Pens should not make any trades during the season so that Hextall could evaluate the team? I’m glad people are at least realizing that’s a horrible idea.
I believe we're gonna make a trade. I think Petts or Dumo will be moved for obvious reasons. But as you and I talked about in the offseason, the things we so desperately need aren't necessarily elite players or even top six guys. You push Jank out of the line up and get a quality top nine guy to chip in on a consistent basis. That makes things look a lot different. We need a Matt Cullen 2016 version and a guy like Sam Bennett. You can get guys like this without damaging the future. Petts gets you pretty far along in this process, Dumo gets you both guys easily with maybe a draft pick to spare.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
With the way he’s looked, I don’t think we can afford to trade Dumo by the TDL...I mean if Petts was killing it maybe and if POJ hadn’t regressed...but we can’t afford to lose him now

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm fully aware of the Flames Talent and toughness. I'm the one who cited them in the 1st place. lol

My point was they had a lot of very good players but no generational talents. No Lemieux or Gretzky or Malkin or Crosby or Sakic even. It was more the fact that they came in waves and had insane depth. Loob, Macinnis, Mullen, Gilmour, Fleury, Suter, Roberts, Nieuwendyke and even Otto were all very good players, but none were Generational. Macinnis was probably closest to that distinction however. That's why we needed to beef up the bottom six here. We need quality depth and we simply don't have enough of it. This has been a problem since the off season. We needed to take some of the pressure off our aging core and we have failed in doing so. Garnering some balance throughout the line up was the only way (along with good goaltending) to making a run.

Fleury at that time was pretty insane.

Reactions: KIRK

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
With the way he’s looked, I don’t think we can afford to trade Dumo by the TDL...I mean if Petts was killing it maybe and if POJ hadn’t regressed...but we can’t afford to lose him now
i agree, but we could also get back so much more, that the offset may be worth it. who knows what's going on behind closed doors.:laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can understand that especially if you're operating under the premise that we have a punchers chance this season. I'm not there yet, but I can see your point.

If MP is your main piece however you have to expect a lesser return. You could likely get a top nine forward, preferably a center, but at least someone to push Janko out and be a pretty big upgrade ta boot.I think we need a couple pieces, not sure if MP is enough to get the 2hd piece. If they're pure rentals, maybe. But hopefully we can get a young guy with term.

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Trading Dumoulin over Petts would be like losing Ian Cole but wayyyy worse.

Funny you say that because I look back and while he wasnt flashy he meant alot to this D and knew his role and played it perfectly. Guy was a stud back there

Ive been on the get rid of Petts train well before the season started.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Funny you say that becasue I look back and while he wasnt flashy he meant alot to this D and knew his role and played it perfectly. Guy was a stud back there

Ive been on the get rid of Petts train well before the season started.
Ian Cole soothes the soul!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I can understand that especially if you're operating under the premise that we have a punchers chance this season. I'm not there yet, but I can see your point.

If MP is your main piece however you have to expect a lesser return. You could likely get a top nine forward, preferably a center, but at least someone to push Janko out and be a pretty big upgrade ta boot.I think we need a couple pieces, not sure if MP is enough to get the 2hd piece. If they're pure rentals, maybe. But hopefully we can get a young guy with term.
If Zucker is expected back at some point, I think they could target a LW and move McCann to C, which would push Jank out....hopefully.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petts simply isn't a top 4 D man and with 16 million due, that is just a very hard contract for teams to take unless the Pens take back what they perceive a better fit for their roster. I looked at a physical third line or fourth line forward who a team would move due to a contractual issue and think Sissions from Nashville although the money is the same, he does offer a gritty forward who is a RH shot and could be a banger with TB and Tanev.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The team has a few issues, for sure.

I just take issue with the idea that depth is the only, or even the most important issue when we can't hit the broad side of a barn door on the PP. The PP needs a personnel upgrade badly, and it won't come internally.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The team has a few issues, for sure.

I just take issue with the idea that depth is the only, or even the most important issue when we can't hit the broad side of a barn door on the PP. The PP needs a personnel upgrade badly, and it won't come internally.
We have the talent on the PP, but if they don't shoot, adding someone won't necessarily fix that. TBH I doubt if we add anyone they'll immediately get onto the 1st PP unit anyhow. Who you gonna kick off? Our issue in regards to lack of quality depth is a much bigger concern IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad